Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Anyone ever watch The Shield?

Just finished it. Awesome show that I never hear anyone talk about. It was a cop show on FX that coincidentally played from 2002-2008, same time as the Wire. Probably not as good as the Wire, but definitely not far off IMO. Anyone who hasn't watched it, I'd recommend you do. Anyone that has, please feel free to discuss with spoilers

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone ever watch The Shield?

Everybody says it's great, but I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes and thought it sucked. The acting, production, all of it really, just felt really amateur. People say it gets better by the season but I'm not investing that much time in a show that starts shitty.

One of the best shows ever on TV.

It almost lost me on the very first episode, but then the way the first episode ended just forced me to watch more. It was a little boring after that, but cop shows are my favorite types of shows so I stuck it through. There were some really great parts to it that are up there with some of my favorite TV moments of all-time. There are also some things that I thought could have been better. It's something I'd recommend to people no doubt.

Serious playground baller ndPac's Avatar

The Shield used to be my favorite show back when it aired.. for something that has to be edited since it's on cable tv and not a pay channel I think it's probably as good as it gets.=== SPOILER=== I still remember thinking how insane it was when Shane dropped that grenade on Lemm lol.

I never have HBO back then so I didn't know anything about The Wire until a couple of years ago, I think Shield is good no doubt. But I've watched the entire Wire series 5x now and think it is easily the best tv show that's ever been made and nothing will be close to it.
    Last edited by ndPac; 02-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Vick Mackey might be my favorite character ever, definitely one of them. It was hard not to root for him despite how f*cked up he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    Spoiler alert ndPac
    whoops my bad

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Vick Mackey might be my favorite character ever, definitely one of them. It was hard not to root for him despite how f*cked up he was.
    I liked him a lot as well but eventually it seemed like he was doing way too much stuff that would be unrealistic in the real world so it got a little lame to me

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    Spoiler alert ndPac
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Anyone that has, please feel free to discuss with spoilers

Do we really need spoiler alerts for a show that's been off the air for 5 years?

The grenade in the lap was the best. Total shocker you knew then and there it was every man for himself

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ndPac
    I liked him a lot as well but eventually it seemed like he was doing way too much stuff that would be unrealistic in the real world so it got a little lame to me
    I didn't really think so. From an aggregate point of view, yes its highly unlikely that he would get away every time but thats how all shows are. Not much different then Omar walking around the streets all day every day with a shotgun. There wasn't any instance though where he got away and it wasn't believable. The only thing I would say is the whole immunity thing. Can someone seriously get immunity even from killing a cop?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Do we really need spoiler alerts for a show that's been off the air for 5 years?

The grenade in the lap was the best. Total shocker you knew then and there it was every man for himself

When Shane was the only not getting tailed, I had a pretty good feeling that he was going to kill Lem. He was by far IMO the most selfish one of them all. Still shocking though.

Shane killing himself and his whole family was pretty shocking. Maybe Shane killing himself wasn't that crazy, but killing his family was completely unnecessary and selfish, especially killing his son. All just so the kid isn't put in foster homes? ****ed up.

I was extremely surprised that Vick wasn't loyal to Ronnie to the very end. I understood taking the deal to save his family, and while I understood how he felt the need to finally confess all of his sins to someone, I would've never thought he would've done that if it meant screwing over Ronnie. I would've thought he would've lied or leave Ronnie's name out of it.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Shane killing himself and his whole family was pretty shocking. Maybe Shane killing himself wasn't that crazy, but killing his family was completely unnecessary and selfish, especially killing his son. All just so the kid isn't put in foster homes? ****ed up.
    The phone call from Vic put him over the edge.

I was extremely surprised that Vick wasn't loyal to Ronnie to the very end. I understood taking the deal to save his family, and while I understood how he felt the need to finally confess all of his sins to someone, I would've never thought he would've done that if it meant screwing over Ronnie. I would've thought he would've lied or leave Ronnie's name out of it.
    I obviously am over analyzing, but I don't think it's necessarily a death sentence for Ronnie. There is NO way any police department would ever publicize that kind of corruption, especially when it comes to light that the main orchestrator not only got off scot free, but got a promotion. I don't see a trial or him going to prison. Dismissed quietly is my guess.

Anyway, I liked the series for most of its run but (not coincidentally) like Sons of Anarchy, it just got too ridiculous. The characters became totally unsympathetic.

Agree with people saying it's one of the best shows ever. I remember when they kidnap that Laker player and bet on the game. I swear that player was suppose to be like Andre Bynum or something. This show really gets insane when with the grenade scene happens. Everyone that has watched the whole series knows what I'm talking about. You get really sucked in after that.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    The phone call from Vic put him over the edge.
    I could see that. I still don't think it made sense to kill the kid.

I obviously am over analyzing, but I don't think it's necessarily a death sentence for Ronnie. There is NO way any police department would ever publicize that kind of corruption, especially when it comes to light that the main orchestrator not only got off scot free, but got a promotion. I don't see a trial or him going to prison. Dismissed quietly is my guess.
    Well we don't know and the only assumption we can make is that he went to jail given how it went down.

Anyway, I liked the series for most of its run but (not coincidentally) like Sons of Anarchy, it just got too ridiculous. The characters became totally unsympathetic.
    I don't really think it was ridiculous. Thats just me though.

I totally disagree with the characters becoming unsympathetic. I thought Shane and his wife were unsympathetic until about the end when they died and then Claudette read his letter.

And I did feel sympathetic towards Mackey. He deserved everything he got and probably more, but I still felt for him, which is part of what made this so great to me. Dude was dirty as shit but in many ways he was still very likeable and someone you could relate to so it was hard not to be sympathetic toward him.