Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #946
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/19/ut...epresentative/

the only argument for Rudy not making it is the Jazz record. a top 5 to 10 player for sure.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #947
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Eric Woodyard: Ricky Rubio has returned to practice today at some capacity. Prior to this, he had been doing individual work, but he’s set to be re-evaluated on Tuesday after missing the last 6 games with a mild right hamstring strain. – via Twitter E_Woodyard

fun while it lasted
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #948
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Tony Jones: Kyle Korver said it’s good to have things stabilize in his personal life. Wife and kids are in SLC and settled. Schools have been picked out. Korver said it brings peace to his hoop life – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Tony Jones: Jae Crowder said it was good to have Ricky Rubio back at practice and running full speed. He said Rubio looked good – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

full speed? Please tell me he's not playing tomorrow!
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #949
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/20/18...-exum-and-more

Quote:
A total of 284 players have crossed the 500-minute threshold this season. If you sort those players by the average of their ranks in 10 different catch-all metrics, Jabari Parker slots in at No. 258.

I'd certainly take a look at him this year if you are just giving up guys that need to go or Quin doesn't play anyway

Quote:
That’s would I’d love to see, but I’d be shocked to see it (barring injury). Snyder has placed an unfailing trust in Rubio over the last two seasons, even through the weeks-long shooting slumps that can cripple the starting five’s offense.

live and die with Ricky!

Quote:
If we can’t get that, I would at least like to see more possessions in which Mitchell is the conductor. The problem there, of course, is that Rubio and his lack of shooting make little sense for pure floor spacing. At least Dante Exum can attack a closeout.

but Dante can't finish. Ricky never made sense and either did Exum's latest contract

Quote:
If I had to guess, though, I don’t think he’ll be traded.

should be but won't. be back next year with Ricky

Quote:
It’ll probably come as no surprise to those who follow me that I’d love to see Exum starting at the 1 next season. I really think he’d look much better surrounded by Ingles, Gobert and Mitchell.

Please God no! Mitchell needs to start at the 1 or he needs someone next to him that can play with or without the ball like Hill or Beverly. Rubio and Exum don't fit the bill.

Quote:
As for the cap space, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Utah pick up Favors’ option and go for less heralded free agents like it did with Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh and Jonas Jerebko a couple years ago.

I'd be shocked if Favors and Rubio aren't back and they do very little. Goss, 1st, maybe one minor free agent addition and a couple new 2 ways

Quote:
I sure hope that’s what happens. But an all-time great (yeah, I’m going there) spending his entire career with one team is so rare these days.

He'd be stupid to stay unless they go all in, He's all about winning. Something the Jazz have never been
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #950
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
“Ricky’s a huge part of what we do—his ability to defend the ball, to make shots, to make clutch shots,” Jazz head coach Quin Snyder said on Sunday. “He’s playing really well. Our team is better when we have him.” – via NBA.com

Eric Woodyard: Ricky Rubio practiced today then was reexamined after missing the last 6 games with a mild right hamstring strain. He is questionable for tomorrow. “I feel good. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow morning then we’ll decide but it’s been 2 hard weeks for me to watch,” he said. – via Twitter E_Woodyard

Eric Woodyard: Not only did Ricky Rubio return to Jazz practice today, he also provided 10 athletes from the Utah Special Olympics with $200 gift cards at the Adidas store in Park City then shopped with them. “It’s something that makes me feel good,” he said.

Can they fire the GM/coach that can't see the obvious?
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #951
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/20/uta...toward-return/

Quote:
He may be the guy one day, but that day isn’t now. You needn’t look further than the Jazz’s three most-used lineups with Mitchell replacing the Spaniard to see why.

He is the guy until they find someone better than Ricky or Exum to put next to him. How you could watch the past couple weeks and not see the difference without those two on the floor is amazing!

Quote:
The Jazz’s starting five with Mitchell taking Rubio’s place at the point and Royce O’Neale joining the lineup has been great offensively, scoring nearly 110 points per 100 possessions. However, if you swap Jae Crowder in for Derrick Favors, that number drops to 102. Bring Crowder and Kyle Korver in (for Joe Ingles) and we’re talking just 88 points/100 poss.

Than bring him off the bench and see how that goes. He's got bench player written all over him not necessarily for the Jazz though. He plays with a ton of energy. You have at least a week to let him come off the bench before Exum comes back and clogs up the works even more

Quote:
That’s one really solid scoring lineup, one that’s well below average and a third that’s terrible beyond belief at putting the ball in the hoop. Defensively, the not-so-good lineups have remained positive as the Jazz have shut down inferior competition, but one has to wonder what would happen against better teams.

Ricky sucks on D no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise

Quote:
For his part, Rubio has had his struggles this season, but he’s the more natural fit as a one and has been a positive impact player at the point, even as he ran the show during the hardest portion of the Jazz schedule.

He's only a one. Unfortunately he spends a lot of time standing all alone in the corner. That is enough reason for him not to start

Quote:
While that schedule is easing up, the Jazz still have a plethora of difficult games left to play. Having Rubio should only serve to help their chances against the best teams in the Association.

not if they are living and dying with him. If he came off the bench or even if Snyder would bench bad Ricky than maybe
Old Today, 08:04 AM   #952
Xiao Yao You

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/20/ut...inning-streak/

Quote:
Over the past six-game winning streak, their play on that end of the floor has picked up even more. During that span, Utah has led the league in defensive rating (97.2) as well as held opponents to a league-low 40.5 shooting percentage and ranked second in total rebounds with 52 per game.

The Jazz offense has also started to turn things around to match their play on defense. Utah has begun to push the ball up the floor more than we’ve been accustomed to seeing in the past, even with Ricky Rubio battling injuries.

Utah is averaging a pace of 101.9 over the last six games, which is good for 11th-best in the league. It is also scoring the ball more, averaging 112.2 points per game after ranking 22nd in the NBA in scoring and 20th in offensive rating for a majority of the season.

Overall, the Jazz have recorded a net rating of +12.4 in the last six games, ranking third-best in the NBA behind the Golden State Warriors and the Milwaukee Bucks. Their plus/minus of +13.5 ranks second in the NBA during that six-game stretch behind only Golden State.

Utah’s defense has returned to the powerhouse that we saw last year and have seen in years past, which should be scary for a lot of other teams across the NBA, but the offense is starting to follow suit, which is even better news in Salt Lake City.

I guess it's just a coincidence that Ricky and Dante have been out?

Quote:
Another player who has stood out for the Jazz during that span, and really has been playing well throughout the course of the entire season, is Rudy Gobert. Gobert has averaged 16.5 points, 18.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 2.2 blocks and 1.2 steals per game during the winning streak. He also shot a stellar 64.2 percent from the field and recorded a plus/minus of +19.

Has nothing to do with the increased spacing beacause Dante and Ricky's men weren't roaming
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #953
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/21/18...cker-woj-shams

Quote:
Why Memphis does it: Dante Exum could use a fresh start. As a 6’6” guard, he at the least could be a menace defensively — as he showed last playoffs. If he finds his niche offensively, the Grizzlies would have another nice complimentary piece next to Jackson. With Favors, it’s a win-win move. He’s a veteran big man that could keep Jackson at the 4 next season. In addition, his $18M next season is non-guaranteed, which becomes a nice little trade chip.

Hard to imagine anyone wanting Exum too bad. Conley would be a great fit. Anything other than Rudy and Donovan

Quote:
My_Lo’s Take: This one is just fluff. It’s fun fluff, but it’s fluff. Would Utah go after Mike Conley? Depends. It seems more implausible with every passing game with Donovan Mitchell excelling at point guard. The future appears to be with the positionless backcourt of Mitchell and Exum rather than adding a ball dominant point guard in Conley with Donovan Mitchell. The future at PG isn’t with your typical floor general like Conley. It’s guys like Luka Doncic, James Harden, and Donovan Mitchell running the show as combo guards with weapons built around them.

Conley can spot up. Exum can't shoot period. Who wants to go from Ricky to Dante?

Quote:
My_Lo’s Take: Favors contract appeared designed to be easily tradeable and workable into a trade at its inception. It was if the Utah Jazz were using Derrick Favors to be a gift card to be used later at the trade deadline or as cap space in the next offseason. For his troubles, Derrick Favors was paid REALLY well (some in the national media felt overpaid for his projected minutes and production). Favors has had a career year, but Utah is looking for a more modern PF. They have been linked to Tobias Harris, Kevin Love, and Otto Porter. While Favors is in for YET ANOTHER trade season filled with rumors mentioning him, the lack of sellers on this market may make liars of us all once again.

18 million isn't easily tradable. Of course he was overpaid. He's the 2nd highest paid on the team for 20 minutes a game. Some of those minutes are with a guy that does the same things better. Who says they are looking for a modern PF? He and Rubio aren't going anywhere

Quote:
With Dallas and the Dennis Smith Jr drama
Do you think there’s a package Utah could throw at the Mavs to land DSJ?
Rubio, unprotected 1st for Powell and DSJ?
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd8yqgv2

Posted by Gobert_the_destroyer on Jan 21, 2019 | 8:38 AM

Haven't been impressed with him

Quote:
That said, if you do that kind of trade, you are giving up on Exum, imo. DSJ has a higher ceiling I think anyway, and giving up a 1st to get him is giving away 1.5 years of a likely 22-24th pick and not a big deal. And Carlisle would probably love Rubio, esp. bc he’s expiring and they lost Barea.

I would not be against this. DSJ matches DM’s timeline. Although, it adds to our own growing pains quite a bit. Rubio is right now better for the Jazz, but playing for now is silly imo.

Posted by Karl Stalone 32 on Jan 21, 2019 | 8:46 AM

How many more 10's of millions before you give up on Exum? Not like he couldn't play too.
Old Today, 02:45 PM   #954
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/21/uta...-point-guards/

Quote:
Simply put, if Donovan Mitchell had been playing like this all season, he would be a lock for the All-Star Game.

probably. Too bad Ricky and Dante can't always be hurt

Quote:
The next five games will have potential playoff seeding ramifications, and it all starts with Monday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers. If the Jazz can get a win, they will climb to within a game of the Blazers in the standings, and they will earn themselves the tiebreaker for future playoff seeding. The Jazz will be asking a lot of Mitchell, since he will have to contain Lillard on the defensive side of the ball, while also carrying the offensive load on the other end.

Could put O'Neale of him instead
Old Today, 06:46 PM   #955
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/21/uta...eeping-gobert/

Quote:
Utah Jazz: Pundits still sleeping on Gobert as an All-Star are crazy

Jazz win he's in.

Quote:
When his pro career quietly began with the 27th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, Utah Jazz big man Rudy Gobert wasn’t an obvious star in the making. Sure, he had crazy size and length, but in a league that was trending toward space, pace and the three ball, a lumbering big with seemingly limited offensive upside wasn’t turning many heads.

He was never lumbering though. He's not Mark Eaton!

Quote:
One more factor Hansen cites in eliminating Gobert as an All-Star is the fan vote and popularity. But let’s not forget that the fans only have a hand in selecting the All-Star starters. Seven of the 12 spots are decided by the coaches vote. And it’s hard to see the people who know the game best ignoring the mass of information I just dropped. At the least, they’d be foolhardy to do so.

Picked Hayward and others over him a couple years ago
Old Today, 09:34 PM   #956
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Tony Jones: Utah Jazz point guard Ricky Rubio will be available tonight – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

Tony Jones: Rubio will be on a minutes restriction. Quin Snyder did not give a number – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba

perfect excuse to bring him off the bench
Old Today, 09:44 PM   #957
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/21/an-...off-picture/3/

Quote:
The Jazz seem to have figured out their early season problems, as they have gone on a six-game winning streak. The next two weeks will be vastly important to them, as they will face many conference rivals. If Utah’s defense can maintain the elite level it has been holding, they will continue to rise in the standings.

They didn't figure out anything. Ricky and Dante got hurt
Old Today, 09:47 PM   #958
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/21/thr...ing-utah-jazz/

Quote:
Of course, there’s still time for that to change and a lot could happen between now and the 7th depending on what kind of talks are had between franchises and what kind of opportunities become available. Nevertheless, I personally believe that Favors will avoid being traded yet again. Derrick has proven himself as a valuable piece of the team, and I have a hard time seeing the Jazz give up financial flexibility this summer for a questionable contract, which is likely what would happen in a hypothetical Favors trade.

why would that likely happen?

3 questions and none of them have to do with the pg situation?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: