Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Default Nash to the raptors and the ripple effect

Seems to be an increasing possibility that the Toronto Raptors may sign Nash, maybe just rumours, but if it is the case and they do bring him for 3 years and let him retire in Toronto, what are the raps looking at in terms of the draft, and then what do they do with Calderon. I feel like their style's of play are pretty similar, nash plays faster and is more creative, but they would certainly not be much of a change of pace.

I'm torn as I love Nash, and it would certainly be huge for attendance, fan hype etc. I also like Calderon and the fact that he is an expirer next year. He had a very good year and maybe the raps could get somebody good for him. I feel like if the raps get Nash then calderon is sure to leave and they probably keep bayless as he is so young, though inconsistent and injury prone. They need to let bayless be the Barbosa type role player, let him score and be the combo guard he is.

I also really like the idea of Dragic, as I feel he is actually the best fit as the starting point guard.

Anyway, if we bring in nash and he takes the reigns who do we draft, Lamb, perry III? Who's skillset fits best next to Nash's.

Which players in particular on the squad would benefit the most from playing with nash. lamb at 2 and move Derozen to 3
A line-up of
nash, bayless Forbes
Lamb bayless Derozen Forbes
Derozen JJ/Kleiza
Bargs Ed Davis JJ/ Kleiza
Val Amir Gray

Or draft Perry III and play him at 3, as his star potential is probably higher than Lamb, but then again, so is his bust potential.
Val and Derozen would really probably really see huge benefits from playing with Nash
Nice to speculate as the draft is getting near.

Last edited by barkleynash : 05-18-2012 at 12:51 PM.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: Nash to the raptors and the ripple effect

I hate saying this, but I hope Steve Nash goes to Miami where he would be due to win a championship. Going to Toronto would ruin those chances and he doesn't have many good years left. Steve Nash please go win a championship.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I hate saying this, but I hope Steve Nash goes to Miami where he would be due to win a championship. Going to Toronto would ruin those chances and he doesn't have many good years left. Steve Nash please go win a championship.

Send him to somewhere like OKC, have him play the point, Westbrook at the SG keep Durrant at the 3 and keep Harden coming off the bench. A sure fire winner...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Send him to somewhere like OKC, have him play the point, Westbrook at the SG keep Durrant at the 3 and keep Harden coming off the bench. A sure fire winner...
I'm all for that. Anything that helps push Harden out the door at OKC and closer to Toronto is fine with me. Now there's a player that's worth risking a max contract on in restricted free agency (if he reaches it).
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I'm all for that. Anything that helps push Harden out the door at OKC and closer to Toronto is fine with me. Now there's a player that's worth risking a max contract on in restricted free agency (if he reaches it).

So you see where I am getting at Harden would be better to put with Val and have Derozan come off the bench...Derozan shouldn't be starting. He is more of a 6th man if that...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
So you see where I am getting at Harden would be better to put with Val and have Derozan come off the bench...Derozan shouldn't be starting. He is more of a 6th man if that...

Depends how much BC offers him. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone making over 8 million off the bench unless he's a 6th man of the year contender. Well, Derozan is still fairly young. I don't think anybody was impressed this season but hopefully he makes some strides next year. If not then I'm okay with parting with him.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Depends how much BC offers him. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone making over 8 million off the bench unless he's a 6th man of the year contender. Well, Derozan is still fairly young. I don't think anybody was impressed this season but hopefully he makes some strides next year. If not then I'm okay with parting with him.
I agree.

This should be Derozan's last chance to show the Raptors he's worth keeping in the long-run. I think the team has to start making decisions when it comes to option years and extensions after next year (right? I'm not 100% sure). If he continues to be a below-average player with gaping holes in his game, let him walk. The fact that he was a top 10 pick and/or expected to be part of the core shouldn't mean much if the guy just isn't any good. At some point you have to cut your losses.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: