Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Steve Francis vs Derrick Rose

Pick one. Who was better prime Francis or current Rose? Who do you like more personally?

Steve Francis: 21.6 ppg, 7 rpg, 6 apg, 1.2 spg on 42 percent shooting from the field.

or

Derrick Rose: 25 ppg, 4 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1 spg on 44.5 percent shooting from the field.

I personally think Francis was a tad bit more talented and skilled but Rose is already more impactful than prime Francis. Rose had 13 win shares this year to Francis' best of 11.

I'd take Rose but I personally liked Francis a lot more. I don't think we'll ever see another 6'2 or 6'3 player average 7 rpg and get blocks and tip jams so regularly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Steve Francis vs Derrick Rose

Rose probably though Steve Francis stats would be better if he was playing in this era during his prime obviously so Rose but not by much at this point if at all.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Derrick Rose. Easily. Dude just helped lead his team(the rebounding\D was also huge part of there success) to 62 wins. Something I don't think was doable with Francis. Rose is a better scorer and even better at getting others involved witch is saying something. A few extra boards at the 1\2 spot doesn't change that for me.

Didn't seem like a hard question at all for me, curious to what others think. Rose's 3rd year in the NBA literally trumps anything Francis ever did.

NBA rookie of the year

This shouldn't even be a discussion, Derrick Rose in his 3 years as a NBA-PRO has accomplished more than what Francis did over his whole career.

I'm a Rocket and Francis-fan but the guy never played on the same level as Rose. See, Francis never even cracked a top 20 MVP award list during his career and Derrick plays more effective basketball.

And Francis during his career only played 5 playoff-games, yeah, he played on shitty teams as well but still, he wasn't better than Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Derrick Rose. Easily. Dude just helped lead his team(the rebounding\D was also huge part of there success) to 62 wins. Something I don't think was doable with Francis. Rose is a better scorer and even better at getting others involved witch is saying something. A few extra boards at the 1\2 spot doesn't change that for me.

Didn't seem like a hard question at all for me, curious to what others think. Rose's 3rd year in the NBA literally trumps anything Francis ever did.
    Actually this was Stevie's 3rd season as well, not long before the injury monsters got to him. Steve Francis is a forgotten player who was incredibly underrated and people like me will always wonder what could have been.

People who didn't watch basketball for at least the last 10 years wouldn't know Francis but the reason I made this thread is because they have very similar games. Both incredible athletes, scoring PG's, have anklebreaking handles, deadly first step. List goes on.

People think Rose is some sort of new PG but that's because they didn't watch Francis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDLfvePfHtc

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Rose probably though Steve Francis stats would be better if he was playing in this era during his prime obviously so Rose but not by much at this point if at all.
    This era?
    Francis hit his prime 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    This shouldn't even be a discussion, Derrick Rose in his 3 years as a NBA-PRO has accomplished more than what Francis did over his whole career.

I'm a Rocket and Francis-fan but the guy never played on the same level as Rose. See, Francis never even cracked a top 20 MVP award list during his career and Derrick plays more effective basketball.

And Francis during his career only played 5 playoff-games, yeah, he played on shitty teams as well but still, he wasn't better than Rose.
    This comes down to Rose having a much better all around team. I think they are similar enough statistically and talent wise to neither of these players should be picked impulsively. Both have a case. Rose had 1 deep playoff run so far, Francis wasn't as lucky. His prime was very short due to injuries.

As for him not cracking into the MVP race.. that doesn't mean anything. It just proves how underrated he is. In 01-02 he was a top 5 player arguably.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAssassin
    lol
    BTW you called Rose the most athletic PG in NBA history. Francis says hi.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    This comes down to Rose having a much better all around team. I think they are similar enough statistically and talent wise to neither of these players should be picked impulsively. Both have a case. Rose had 1 deep playoff run so far, Francis wasn't as lucky. His prime was very short due to injuries.

As for him not cracking into the MVP race.. that doesn't mean anything. It just proves how underrated he is. In 01-02 he was a top 5 player arguably.
    No, he wasn't. Francis was never a top 5 player..
    And yes, I know his prime was very short, he played for the only NBA team I follow. Although I like Francis, he was really skilled and had a big heart, he played like a bonehead from time to time.

And it's not only about playing on a good team, Rose made his team better and yes, he has more talent on his team then what Francis ever did but still there's no doubt about Rose being a better player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

This era?
    Francis hit his prime 8 years ago.
    ...yeah before 2006 when soft ball really took over.

No, he wasn't. Francis was never a top 5 player..
    And yes, I know his prime was very short, he played for the only NBA team I follow. Although I like Francis, he was really skilled and had a big heart, he played like a bonehead from time to time.

And it's not only about playing on a good team, Rose made his team better and yes, he has more talent on his team then what Francis ever did but still there's no doubt about Rose being a better player.
    Well I think there is a doubt because as I said... Rose hasn't done enough yet in 3 seasons to flat out say there isn't a comparison. There is a reason Francis had the nickname "The Franchise". Dude was the truth. As a Rockets fan watching him a lot I'm surprised you think it's Rose without even giving Francis consideration.

I watched a lot of Francis+Mobley and even more when Yao came along. I loved the Rockets. I think impact wise Rose has an edge as I said... but statistically and skill wise they are on the same level. I mainly want to throw Francis out there because people seem to think Rose is the first super athlete, score first PG... or at least the first all star one. People need to remember Steve Francis was before him.

Very good NBA starter

I'd take Rose quite easily. Francis was the kind of player who would pout, whine, give up, and seemed like an overall jerk. There's reasons he's bounced around from team to team and even got kicked off the Chinese team after NBA retirement. Dude cried after being drafted by a team he didn't want to go to. There's more to the game than stats, and the talent that created those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAssassin
    what does Steve Francis have over Derrick Rose?
    Higher vert, equally explosive, much stronger, quicker change of direction. Vince Carter and Francis had the highest vert in the league at his peak. Dude not only had a 42 inch vert but was an all around athletic beast. Watch the clips I posted in this thread and you'll understand. Dude could dunk on 7 footers with contact.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    I'd take Rose quite easily. Francis was the kind of player who would pout, whine, give up, and seemed like an overall jerk. There's reasons he's bounced around from team to team and even got kicked off the Chinese team after NBA retirement. Dude cried after being drafted by a team he didn't want to go to. There's more to the game than stats, and the talent that created those stats.
    So you'd probably take Rose over peak Iverson too right?