Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Wilt Chamberlain: 24 Inch Vertical

He can jump 24 inches straight up
    http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wilt/article3.html

Certainly doesn't sound like the athletic freak we've heard so much about. He also had only a 7'2 wingspan which is pretty surprising. And 225lbs is just embarassing. Shaq weighed something like 310lbs at the same age with 10x the athleticism.

For comparison, Shaq had a 7'7 wingspan and 36 vertical.
    Last edited by Bobe Kryant; 08-08-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain: 24 Inch Vertical

Huh?

And this changes.... what?

in before all the old timer defenders

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Saying he can jump 2 feet just shows the standards they had then...doesnt mean its all he could do. Half of ISH can jump 24 inches im sure. But half of ISH isnt getting up enough to be an NCAA highjump champ as a hobby or to long jump 22 feet as he has proven capable of.

That is not a man with a 24 inch vertical.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Bobe Kryant
    http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wilt/article3.html

Certainly doesn't sound like the athletic freak we've heard so much about. He also had only a 7'2 wingspan which is pretty surprising. Some swingmen are longer than that in the modern game (Rudy Gay, Mcgrady, Durant etc), let alone C's. And 225lbs is just embarassing. Shaq weighed something like 310lbs at the same age with 10x the athleticism.

For comparison, Shaq had a 7'7 wingspan and 36 vertical.
    he's not an athletic freak for nowdays standarts. but how many of them where like him back at times when he played. at that times basketball played alot more white people and they are not known as athletic freaks. and his weight was completly ok for those days. how many guys had muscles and bodies like nowdays players? none. so his 225lbs and 24 inch was more then enough and it made him athletic freak compared to other guys that time in league. different times, different standarts

Overrated

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Saying he can jump 2 feet just shows the standards they had then...doesnt mean its all he could do. Half of ISH can jump 24 inches im sure. But half of ISH isnt getting up enough to be an NCAA highjump champ as a hobby or to long jump 22 feet as he has proven capable of.

That is not a man with a 24 inch vertical.
    I don't know... it's difficult to gauge leaping ability from stills. He doesn't look to have an especially explosive vertical in the videos I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Wow, and this guy is suppose to be a better player than Prime Shaquille O'Neal and Prime Tim Duncan.
    no, you see you can't compare players like that. like you can't compare a fifty years old car with a ferrari and put them in a drag race. and both cars are one of the best in their's era and then you say this old piece of **** is one of the greates?

if you want to compare players, you can compare them based on what they achived...

Quote Originally Posted by jernejtera
    no, you see you can't compare players like that. like you can't compare a fifty years old car with a ferrari and put them in a drag race. and both cars are one of the best in their's era and then you say this old piece of **** is one of the greates?

if you want to compare players, you can compare them based on what they achived...
    He only won 2 NBA Championships during his prime, and Russell and his team always kicked his ass in the playoffs.

Do you consider guys scoring 100 points in the NBL, CBA, PBA, D-League, and some other leagues in this some part of the world a much superior player than Kobe Bryant, who scored 81 points in the NBA?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

His standing reach was 9'7''. Ive seen pictures of him palming a ball and touching it to the rim without jumping. Why would he need to show his full athletic potential to dunk? His most athletic plays are usually blocks and even those he didnt have to go all out for. Simple and plain....he high jumped 6'6'' in the 50s using a style that takes inches from modern athletes. At times he finished second to the first man to high jump 7 feet.....and he never went all out in the training and didnt even have good form by the standards of that time. Even at 7' if you can jump over a 6'6'' high jump bar clean without a full approach you can get up more than 24 inches. Look at 24 inches on a wall with a tape measurer or something. Its nothing. Somewhat fat linemen on my HS football team in the 250-260 range got up more than that. They arent jumping from the 3 point line to the basket though.....which track records show him doing in the long jump.

Acting impressed he can jump more than 2 feet just shows that vertical leap wasnt a major issue then and they didnt do much to find its limits. Id be shocked if a guy like Elgin Baylor or Maurice Stokes wasnt well beyond that....hell Oscar robertson too. 24 inches just isnt that high....1958 or 2008.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Learning to shoot layups mayorhoiberg's Avatar

On the forums page, when this is the last updated topic, it says

"Wilt Chamberlain: 24 Inch...."

It does not say vertical. And that is not the first word that came to mind before I entered into the NBA forum.

Learning to shoot layups mayorhoiberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mayorhoiberg
    On the forums page, when this is the last updated topic, it says

"Wilt Chamberlain: 24 Inch...."

It does not say vertical. And that is not the first word that came to mind before I entered into the NBA forum.
    Do you know how I know you're gay?

You thought "peni s" before "vertical."

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    He only won 2 NBA Championships during his prime, and Russell and his team always kicked his ass in the playoffs.

Do you consider guys scoring 100 points in the NBL, CBA, PBA, D-League, and some other leagues in this some part of the world a much superior player than Kobe Bryant, who scored 81 points in the NBA?
    well i'm a kobe fan so i'll say as fan no

but... scoring 81 points i think it would be the easiest in nba. look it's all relative.
    for example kobe is the best in the world and he's playing in the best league in the world. if you put him in a lower league, maybe he can score 100 points if he uses all of his team shots. He can score 200 point if he plays in the lowest league in the world but would that make him a GOAT? no.

Why is nba the easiest to score 81... only nba has 48 min. that's 8 min more. only nba has 3pt line 3 foots longer, that leads to more space inside the 3pt line and it's easier to drive and it leads to less help for a defensive player. that means more one on one and if we assume that he is the best he has adventage. he can't score 81 point in euroleague in europe. because even though it would be easier for him to score a basket or create a shot, there would be less time, slower game tempo, he would be forced to shot more because of the defense and even though he's a great shooter imo it's heavier to score a 3pt with a hand on your face then an lay-up or a dunk.

you see that's why you can't make comparisons like that. i might be a great player in youth league where i play, but i'm nothing compared to kobe. it's all relative so you can't compare players and stuff like that

and that argument about only 2 rings. how come sir charles can be HOF?
    Last edited by jernejtera; 08-08-2008 at 05:54 PM.

1st Team All NBA VanillaThunder's Avatar

Sir Charles posting in