Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Brett Favre isn't the problem...

The man-groupies in the media that pay excessive attention to the comings and goings of an average QB are. He was great, is not any longer, and there are now better players to be talking about. Please, ESPN, I beg you...move on. Remember the week-long sobfest of two years ago (that completely eclipsed Warren Sapp's REAL retirement)? That should have been the end of it.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Brett Favre isn't the problem...

Good point but Favre still is a problem as well.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

If I were a Vikings fan I'd be excited. But my money is on him staying retired.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Bean
Local High School Star

The media is the problem in a lot of cases. When there hype detector latches on to something it will not let go until the people have lost interest. They are a business and are trying to make money, so it some ways it's understandable.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Good point but Favre still is a problem as well.
I truly don't blame him. Ever knew someone that said they wanted to go fishing, but decided to hit the court instead? Favre is just living his life, doing what he feels like doing from day to day, and so long as an NFL team will sign him, good for him, have fun. If I was him, and I had decided to retire a few months ago but then felt like playing, and I could find a team to take me, I'd go do it too. When Vinny Testaverde was coming out of retirement every time someone gave him a phone call, or that old kicker on the Falcons whose name I forgot, it was no big deal. The difference is that the media mentioned it for the 15 seconds it deserved and then moved on. They can't seem to do that when it comes to Favre.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
The media is the problem in a lot of cases. When there hype detector latches on to something it will not let go until the people have lost interest. They are a business and are trying to make money, so it some ways it's understandable.
But in this case they could well be wrong. After the fading away in NY (the last five games to fall out of the playoffs were unimpressive, to say the least) a lot of people that hadn't already finally moved on (I personally was bored of this 4-5 years ago). A lot of people don't care what Favre does with the rest of his life.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Brett Favre is absolutely the problem. He could end any hype and speculation by flat-out saying there is no chance he's coming back. Oh, but then he DOES that, only to open the door yet again.

You want to blame the media for rampant speculation? Favre fuels it because he's a drama queen. He's been one of the least likeable guys in sports for years, and I'm glad this circus the last couple of years has finally made it plain as day.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Bean
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
But in this case they could well be wrong. After the fading away in NY (the last five games to fall out of the playoffs were unimpressive, to say the least) a lot of people that hadn't already finally moved on (I personally was bored of this 4-5 years ago). A lot of people don't care what Favre does with the rest of his life.

I imagine few serious sports fans and casual football fans really give a sh*t about Favre at this point in time. In my opinion, the media is in the wrong, but they play on the whims of the people and the people are seemingly buying into it, again.

Even if they think, hell even if they know they're wrong, it doesn't matter. They are not gonna pass on an oppertunity to make or at least try to make money
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Brett Favre is a lot of things, but how is he unlikeable? He's one of the baddest guys to ever play his position, is a champion, doesn't rape white girls, family man, competitive...etc

Lots of likeable things about the guy. I like his gunslinger mentality.

It's the media I don't like, ESPN mostly. They will make anything to do with Brett a headlining story, no matter how short the story' legs are.

Nature of the beast.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Brett Favre is absolutely the problem. He could end any hype and speculation by flat-out saying there is no chance he's coming back. Oh, but then he DOES that, only to open the door yet again.

You want to blame the media for rampant speculation? Favre fuels it because he's a drama queen. He's been one of the least likeable guys in sports for years, and I'm glad this circus the last couple of years has finally made it plain as day.
But does the media have to give it this much attention? All NFL Live needs to do is say, "Brett Favre may join the Vikings." Talk on that five minutes, move on. Who is forcing them to focus more?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Brett Farve is a lush and a junkie, who got a pass from the media. He is not a good guy, and is not good at all in the locker room.(I have a source) The last few years in Green Bay were often excruciating for his team mates. They had to deal with him putting his streak and lust for records above the team. Unlikeable is not a strong enough word to describe this dbag.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Brett Favre is a lot of things, but how is he unlikeable? He's one of the baddest guys to ever play his position, is a champion, doesn't rape white girls, family man, competitive...etc

Lots of likeable things about the guy. I like his gunslinger mentality.

It's the media I don't like, ESPN mostly. They will make anything to do with Brett a headlining story, no matter how short the story' legs are.

Nature of the beast.

he isnt a raypist (had to spell it that way) to anyone's knowledge..... but some of his other characteristics depend on how they are looked at...

to me, he was a drunk and a pill popper too, but was never villified for it like maybe some other players would have been...

his gunslinger mentality is simply reckless football to me... I never understood, why he was a gunslinger, but other guys would be deemed simply careless with the football...

recently, he has been extremely overrated and the yearly circus over his retirement is annoying
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

If ESPN was so pervasive when MJ was unretiring would we feel the same way about Jordan? I remember a few people getting upset with Jordan when he first decided to join the Wiz. How would that go if he did that today.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
If ESPN was so pervasive when MJ was unretiring would we feel the same way about Jordan? I remember a few people getting upset with Jordan when he first decided to join the Wiz. How would that go if he did that today.
ESPN was pretty obsessed when MJ was unretiring, but MJ left as the Finals MVP, still the best player in the game. Whether or not he could perform at the highest level was still an interesting question. They should have knocked it off once it was apparent that Washington was going nowhere but Jordan was still arguably in the top 5 at his position.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: