Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!
 
LBJ 4 MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,652
LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle





The BAA is the NBA, the BAA took in some NBL teams and in 1949 changed it's name to the NBA. So he actually won 1 BAA/NBA title and lost in the finals the next season.


Oh, soory, wasnt that familiar with the BAA background.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
D-Fence
Great young streetballer
 
D-Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 503
D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
Joe Fulks avaraged 12.6 ppg in the nba, 5.3 rpg, and 1.6 apg.
And never got past the first round of the NBA, explain to me how thats dominant.
Considering this is the 75th best NBA player and everything good he did was in the BAA, i dont think he should get in here.
And was only a 2 time all star.

Originally, the NBA was called the Basketball Association of America (BAA); that's from the 1946-47 season through the 1948-49 season. For the 1949-50 season, the National Basketball League (NBL) had folded and the teams had either disbanded or joined the BAA (The Lakers, with George Mikan, were an NBL team). They changed the name of the BAA to the NBA; it was still the same league though.

This was about the same thing that happened when the ABA folded and the ABA teams either folded or joined the NBA.

So, the BAA counts as part of the NBA's history, as they are the same league. Moreover, L.Kizzle has made is apparent that careers in the ABA and NBL count for this list (that doesn't have anything to do with Fulks--just letting you know).

Fulks played 3 seasons where the NBA was still called the BAA. For one of those seasons (1948-49), George Mikan and most of the good players and teams from the NBL had already joined the BAA.

Fulks career stats still don't look overly impressive (16.4 PPG and 1.2 APG), but he had 3 seasons where he was dominate (2 MVP-equivalent seasons, 1 championship and 2 Finals appearances, 2 times leading the league in PPG, and season PPG averages of 23.2, 22.1 and 26.0). He then had 4 seasons where he was more of a role player, but still a starter. Neil Johnston and Paul Arizin became the stars of the team. He then had a full season where he played 8.2 MPG, which took down his career averages considerably.

Another thing to consider is that rebounds were counted until the 1950-51 season. Fulks played half his career--the best part of it--when rebounds weren't counted. He likely averaged over 10 RPG for a couple seasons. Minutes also weren't counted until the 1951-52 season.

I already explained the 2 All-Star appearances in my original post. The first All-Star game was in 1951. If they had All-Star games for Fulks' first 4 seasons, he surely would have been selected every time.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #18
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter
 
haji_d_robertas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 972
haji_d_robertas has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
Joe Fulks avaraged 12.6 ppg in the nba, 5.3 rpg, and 1.6 apg.
And never got past the first round of the NBA, explain to me how thats dominant.
Considering this is the 75th best NBA player and everything good he did was in the BAA, i dont think he should get in here.
And was only a 2 time all star.

Well, I think it's clear that we are out of dominant players, whatever that means. To me, it's either Awards and accolades or rings. It's hard to know which player to choose.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
allo12345
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 53
allo12345 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

VInce Carter
allo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #20
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Dikembe Mutombo
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned
 
KINGofTHEcourt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chillin in the lab
Posts: 1,575
KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Spencer Haywood.

lol @ allo12345. An account solely created to vote for Vince Carter. Someone cares too much about Vince getting on this list.

Whats with the stupid Mutombo votes as well? Ben Wallace is on course to have a better career than him. He's got all-star appearances and DPOY awards. But he's never been a leader of a team, he's never won anything, his best season is 12/12/1.5/4. Mourning is most definitly better than him. What the hell is getting him votes? Being a nice guy?
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #22
elinss86
Decent playground baller
 
elinss86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 333
elinss86 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

vincecarter
elinss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #23
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 43,918
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Vince Carter
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:01 AM   #24
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 34,577
L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt
Spencer Haywood.

lol @ allo12345. An account solely created to vote for Vince Carter. Someone cares too much about Vince getting on this list.

Whats with the stupid Mutombo votes as well? Ben Wallace is on course to have a better career than him. He's got all-star appearances and DPOY awards. But he's never been a leader of a team, he's never won anything, his best season is 12/12/1.5/4. Mourning is most definitly better than him. What the hell is getting him votes? Being a nice guy?
Ben has more All-NBA teams with 5 to Deke's 3 but Ben played in a much weaker era of centers. Shaq, Yao and Brad Miller was Ben's biggest comp. Deke has Dream, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning and Sgaq to deal with.


He was a leader of the Nuggets and Hawks of the 1990's. He helped the 76ers to the Finals. Without Mutombo, they don't make the Finals, hell they don't get past Milwuakee. Besides Bens titles, Deke still has more playoff appearances then Big Ben. His best seasons was 16/13/2 and 3 blocks.


Other the the 15 boards per game one seasons, Deke has him over his second highest with a 14.1 and 13.5 average. Ben's second highest was 13. Deke is also a better shot blocker.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #25
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over
 
Manute for Ever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore, via Australia
Posts: 9,303
Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

I just can't believe DJ and The Hawk aren't in. As much as I want to vote for Connie, My head says Dennis Johnson. What has Vince Carter done to get on the list?!?
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #26
Comedy Central
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 238
Comedy Central has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Chris Mullin

one of the best swingmen in the golden era of basketball.
Comedy Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #27
dhenk
Why do you care?
 
dhenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where the sun will never shine
Posts: 1,170
dhenk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Dikembe Mutombo

In the name of everything that`s good and holy, please vote for Mutombo.
Or against Vince Carter.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #28
t_mac
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 59
t_mac has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Vince Carter
t_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #29
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 34,577
L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

CONNIE HAWKINS

Connie Hawkins gained his fame on the streets of New York City as a street ball legend before he even became a pro. At places like Rucker Park, it was normal for him to dunk on Wilt Chamberlain. Connie never played in the NBA in the best years of career because he was falsely accused of being apart of a college shaving scandal.

Connie was an innovator. Before him, there was no other, (maybe Elgin) but Elgin wasn’t the dunker like he was. He was before Don, ,’Nique, Clyde, MJ all of them. For a power forward, he was a great ball handler and passer.

Connie had to make his way to the ABL at first, a rival league to the NBA in the early 1960‘s. The ABA was not the first to have the 3 point line, the ABL was. Connie was named MVP and his team won the title the very first (and only) season of the league. The 1962-63 season didn’t even finish and Connie was of to the Harlem Globetrotters for a couple of years.

Finally in 1967, (after he had already messed up his knees) another league was founded, the ABA and Connie was the first star of the young league. He once again won MVP and his Pittsburgh Pipers won the title. The next season he played with Minnesota.

In 1969, he finally got his wish, to join the NBA (he would have joined the league around 1963 or 1964.) He waited a long time for this and didn’t disappoint as he was named to the All-NBA first team and a first time NBA All-Star as part of the Phoenix Suns. He made 3 more All-Star teams in his career.

Finally in 1992, he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and in 1997, named apart of the ABA‘s 30th Anniversary Team.


-ABA MVP
-ABA Champion
-ABA Playoff MVP
-4 NBA All-Star Teams
-1 ABA All-Star Team
-1 All-NBA 1st team
-2 All-ABA 1st Teams
-Career high points per game 30.2 (ABA)
-Career high rebounds per game 13.5 (ABA)
-Career high assist per game 5.3 (NBA)
-Career high FG% .52
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #30
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over
 
Manute for Ever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore, via Australia
Posts: 9,303
Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Official #75 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
CONNIE HAWKINS

Connie Hawkins gained his fame on the streets of New York City as a street ball legend before he even became a pro. At places like Rucker Park, it was normal for him to dunk on Wilt Chamberlain. Connie never played in the NBA in the best years of career because he was falsely accused of being apart of a college shaving scandal.

Connie was an innovator. Before him, there was no other, (maybe Elgin) but Elgin wasn’t the dunker like he was. He was before Don, ,’Nique, Clyde, MJ all of them. For a power forward, he was a great ball handler and passer.

Connie had to make his way to the ABL at first, a rival league to the NBA in the early 1960‘s. The ABA was not the first to have the 3 point line, the ABL was. Connie was named MVP and his team won the title the very first (and only) season of the league. The 1962-63 season didn’t even finish and Connie was of to the Harlem Globetrotters for a couple of years.

Finally in 1967, (after he had already messed up his knees) another league was founded, the ABA and Connie was the first star of the young league. He once again won MVP and his Pittsburgh Pipers won the title. The next season he played with Minnesota.

In 1969, he finally got his wish, to join the NBA (he would have joined the league around 1963 or 1964.) He waited a long time for this and didn’t disappoint as he was named to the All-NBA first team and a first time NBA All-Star as part of the Phoenix Suns. He made 3 more All-Star teams in his career.

Finally in 1992, he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and in 1997, named apart of the ABA‘s 30th Anniversary Team.


-ABA MVP
-ABA Champion
-ABA Playoff MVP
-4 NBA All-Star Teams
-1 ABA All-Star Team
-1 All-NBA 1st team
-2 All-ABA 1st Teams
-Career high points per game 30.2 (ABA)
-Career high rebounds per game 13.5 (ABA)
-Career high assist per game 5.3 (NBA)
-Career high FG% .52

Stop messing with my thoughts... My heart Says 'Hawk, my head says DJ
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy