Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The last time I played basketball...

Last time I played:
    -I was limping around the court with an injury
    -We were in the playoffs
    -I scored a couple of points on an offensive board
    -I had a couple of good rebounds and surprisingly jumped fairly high with my injury
    -I played lockdown defense despite being hurt
    -I could've guarded the ball better but was too slow due to injury and switched
    -Didn't get as much playing time as I would've if healthy
    -Team got screwed due to sh.itty scorekeepers
    -Ended up going to overtime even though we should've already won the game
    -I was put in on the final possesion to hit a three to win it, but other team ended up hitting game winner

Played 5 on 5 at the park and:

I hit 3 3 pointers
    got blocked
    had a couple nice assists
    had about 4 or 5 rebounds
    got blocked real bad once
    missed a hook shot

Quote Originally Posted by BradMiller52
    Played 5 on 5 at the park and:

I hit 3 3 pointers
    got blocked
    had a couple nice assists
    had about 4 or 5 rebounds
    got blocked real bad once
    missed a hook shot
    Who shoots hook shots? Spencer Hawes that you?

- I got blocked on a hanging lay-up attempt(Kobe-esqe minus about 3/4 of the hangtime)
    - Forced a kid to kill he dribble but he then proceeded to hit a skyhook from 25 feet out
    - Air balled a 3
    - Hit a 3 in some kids face
    - Tweaked my ankle on d
    - Stripped a kid in the post
    - Got ripped on a drive
    - Hit a fading bank shot close to the baseline at a terrible angle
    - Split a double on the pick and roll with a sick between the legs move and then proceeded to barely graze the rim on the floater i attempted

I usually hit open layups BBallBeatwriter's Avatar

I held my own offensively, byt let's just say I drastically underestimated the talent of a third-world country with no official NBA ties. (wON'T SAY WHERE i AM NOW) My cousin warned me that this guy who drove us to the park was considered one of the city's finest. I dwarfed him. I'm only 6-1, and he's like 5-9. I thaught maybe he could drive, but man, turned out this dude could RAIN three's all damn day. Seriously, I played him for the shot, tightly, and still managed to bust threes over the top of my arms.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I got rim blocked attempting to dunk on a break away.
    I got my shot ate up twice on the same play.
    I got my feet taken out from under me incidentally/wind got knocked out of me
    I played an average game and was winded
    I had a hot streak of knocking down 4 straight 3's
    I had a cold streak missing my next 5 shots
    I got outmuscled going up for a rebound
    I cut that same players ankles and layed them up
    I thought to myself after the game ended "Am I too old to be playing?"
    Last time I played basketball was two years ago, playing full-court indoors after only playing half court outdoors for probably two or three years. Normally, I would play with friends from work that were my height (5'10") plus or minus 3-4 inches, I think the tallest guy to play with our group was 6'4"/6'5" or so without much vert. He could dunk, but nothing spectacular, and rarely in heavy traffer. But the last time I played I was one of the three smallest people on the court, which basically had me running more like a guard than a forward. So with that in mind, I felt even more out of shape and old:

I felt that I didn't have any grip, and I had absolutely zero confidence in my surgically reconstructed knee.

I felt like I was about three steps slower.

I felt like I had no control over my vertical leap. On plays where I pushed it to try and get some height for an inside move (I haven't dunked since destroying my knee), I felt like I had a two inch vertical.. but on other plays, like a simple fast break layup, I found myself much higher than I thought I would've been. Must've been the non-destroyed left leg doing that.

I lost about two feet of range. I never was a good long range shooter, my favorite spots were always 15-18' on the baselines and elbow of the lane, and college threes around the top of the key/edges of the lane. I could hit NBA threes, but only when I had my legs, so generally I'd take a couple early in games, and people would think I had a lot of range, and from that point on they'd close hard on me and I could fake and move in for a shot I could hit more consistently. The last time I played, there was no way in hell I was hitting an NBA three. College threes took about as much effort and legs as NBA threes used to for me, and I felt like I had to put a little more arc into my mid-range shots because they were real flat.

Pivoting and attempted spins off of my right foot just never went right. All I could really do with it was drop step to a jumper/fadeaway. After the first hilariously miserable spin attempt, I wouldn't do it again, but used a half spin as a fake so that I didn't have to rely on my right leg for it. That worked twice.

I lost my Miles Simon middle-of-the-lane floater! That bummed me out more than anything. I only tried two in the game, and both were way off. After the game, I worked on it a while and it was a bit better, but it's obvious that it fell off from lack of practicing.

I really didn't rebound nearly as well as I used to, but again, I was playing full court, playing more of a guard position, and playing in amongst the trees, so I don't know how much of that was due to degradation of game ;)

Only really had two nice crossovers, one resulting in a finger roll, the other in a nice bounce pass to a teamie for a layup off of the baseline. I was on a pretty good team, so I was doing more setting up of the bigger guys than doing much on my own. I had a few nice plays and really got to enjoy playing the pick and roll with some people who actually knew how to play the pick and roll -well-. But after those two crossovers, I attempted a couple more and they -all- got picked. The dude guarding me picked up on my tendencies real quick.

I found out how it it must be like when Shaq has a mismatch. I found myself picking up a massive 6'8" guy who looked like Arvydas Sabonis. He was probably in his late 30s, early 40s, all of his shots were set shots, and all of his inside moves were hooks, but due to his height and his sheer size (he was thick, like a freakin' linebacker) it was a tough time defending them. I got stuck on him in the low post, but he caught it about 10 feet out. He backed me in and made a move towards me that slammed into me like a ton of bricks. He definitely wasn't trying to hammer me, but that's what ended up happening. I went down like Ginobili, and at first a couple people smirked because they thought I flopped, but I just wasn't prepared for the hit and went flying! When you go to guard someone in the post, and your elbow is pretty much in line with the bottom of their ass, you're in trouble.

My nicest move of the game was "skying" in for a rebound from the right baseline, landing just about under the rim, dropping one dribble and going right up for a short fade, all in one motion. My buddy Bryan laughed and yelled "Barkley!" to bust on me for it ;)

I learned real fast that my handles didn't cut it to run the point. I got picked more times than I'd care to admit. After my guy picked me a few times and I was able to bait him into going for the steal without doing anything flashy, just maintaining control, the other small dude on the other team learned real quick that if the two of them swarmed me, it resulted in a turnover. I had to pick up my dribble a few times coming down that better handles would've gotten me through.

I did one jump stop move, something I was just working on when our basketball group kinda fell apart due to the massive layoffs at our company, and dislocated my knee. It was close to the end of the first game and I was wearing my brace, so it was just a matter of popping it back into place and it was all good. I can dislocate it pretty easily, all it takes is the wrong amount of lateral pressure and it'll pop out to the left side of the joint. Bad enough that you can see the difference. It hurts like hell while it's out, but once it's back in, it calms down. It'll swell up, and later than night it certainly did, but I was able to get three more games in that day thanks to the awesome brace I picked up.

I got one block! Yay!

I got blocked at least six times throughout the four games I played. At least two were impressive, sent into the third row blocks. Not having hops anymore isn't fun.

I felt like I sweated off fifty pounds. I had to have looked like absolute hell out there. It was fun, but made me really want to get back, get in better shape and work on my game before going up there again. That was a little over two years ago, and life has since gotten in the way. Now it'll be a hell of a lot more work, but who knows. The motivation just hasn't been there. I still go out and shoot around and play a little one on one, a little 21, but nothing serious.

I usually hit open layups

Is it mandatory to write an essay?

- it was last sunday
    - in honour of tradition, i had a ciggy before and after the game with my teammates
    - we lost
    - in typical style, i was useless
    - my blue shoes clashed with my black and red uniform
    - my team played good in the first half, and horrible in the second due to a huge lack of fitness
    - a guy playing on the other team quickly earned the nickname dick-lips, due to the fact that whenever he dribbled, his tongue would dig into the side of his cheek giving the impression of someone giving head.

lol no offense JR but i'm really glad i wasn't one of your teachers. You just tend to go overboard sometimes with the writing.

You probably attached pieces of paper to multiple choice exams explaining why you picked each answer didn't you? haha

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Excentric
    Is it mandatory to write an essay?
    Only if you're capable of expressing yourself.

Obviously, you're excused.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    lol no offense JR but i'm really glad i wasn't one of your teachers. You just tend to go overboard sometimes with the writing.

You probably attached pieces of paper to multiple choice exams explaining why you picked each answer didn't you? haha
    Like I said in an earlier post, I tend to be rather verbose, and today was a completely dead day at work. I'm taking an extended weekend to hit the OshKosh airshow this weekend, and I pretty much didn't have a thing to do all day.

Plus, I completely wrecked my back this morning, so I was at my desk all day.

I realize that on the internet, most people try as hard as they can to abbreviate things as much as possible. This leads to a lot of miscommunication and misunderstandings that must be followed up with clarification after clarification. And of course, when you're dealing with people on the internet versus dealing with them in person, you don't have the benefit of body language, and for many people social graces. People tend to be much bigger pricks online than they are offline, simply because there's anonymity and a lack of accountability. So people get their little e-balls and try and act hardcore, when in reality they're weak little *****es. We all know how it goes, it's not new for any of us, I just prefer not to deal with such immaturity and ignorance. So, I write a lot. You can't read one of my posts and honestly say, "Umm, I don't understand what you mean, could you be more clear?"

The bright side of things is that most people, especially the above referenced immature and ignorant people, tend to be really lazy. Reading is -so- hard, isn't it? Well, those people tend to ignore my writings, or they try and insult them because they're =way= over their heads. They're really easy to deal with and knock the little e-props out from under their feet, and eventually they just ignore anything more than two lines that don't contain emoticons or "LOLZ! ZOMGWTFBBQ!" type stuff. That works for me. It's kind of like the difference between people who read literature and the people who look at pictures in magazines. The people I relate to and want to interact are the former, not the latter. Turning them off is win/win for me.

If reading my posts is just too difficult, don't read 'em. I could sit and complain about every little retard who only posts "+1" or "lol" and nothing else, but I'd like to think I'm a bit better than that. If people want to insult someone because they actually put thought and effort into what they say, all I can say is look at the source. The results always speak for themselves.

- completely shut down my man to the point he stopped taking shots altogether
    - hit a little fallaway teardrop off a pick
    - went into the lane and hit a underhand scoop layup after drawing contact, yet didn't call the foul
    - hit 2 or 3 18 foot jumpers
    - stupidly drove right down the middle of the lane and got stuffed by my man, who didn't even have to jump because I was too dumb to protect the ball
    - idly stood there while my man got the offensive rebound and hit the putback from like 10 feet in
    - assisted my teammate on a leaning bank shot

Blu Ray

- I dunked on some dude and my nuts came out of my shorts and haymakered him in the mouth

At 4:03 in the afternoon on this day, July 26, 2007, I completed my first ever slam dunk

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    At 4:03 in the afternoon on this day, July 26, 2007, I completed my first ever slam dunk
    Arent you 6'5"?