Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #16
Schotsman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Songs that suprisingly have a huge number of hits on YT. Ex Cranberries - Zombie

Surely it's not THAT puzzling? The song has great meaning and symbolism for many people due to its (con)text and origin. This usually makes a song 'timeproof'. And obviously the song has nothing to do with zombies, any connection with The Walking Dead would be ridiculous and a complete misintepretation of what the song is about. Here in The Netherlands the song is still very famous and on the radio regularly. And as you can read in the comments section of the video on Youtube, a lot of people in the UK have to listen to this song at school to learn about the Irish conflict.
Schotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #17
Nick Young
Banned

Default Re: Songs that suprisingly have a huge number of hits on YT. Ex Cranberries - Zombie

Yeah, it is an extremely famous internationally known song, that is a mainstay hit on classic rock radio all across the world, especially Europe.

Don't get the surprise. Just because a song wasn't a chart hit at the time it came out doesn't mean it can't be beloved.

Maybe in America this is considered a lesser known song but it's very famous in other countries.

Last edited by Nick Young : 08-05-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #18
Edgar Friendly
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
so there it is. evidence that it's a well-admired song, covered by many artists and used in many places.

I can see this, but I'm biased, I have always LOVED this song. But judging by the amount of views for a song that was not a monster hit in the 90s, that makes this the defacto most influential rock and time tested alternative song of the 90s, maybe in history since that genre is on it's deathbed right now. I mean it has almost caught up with Smells Like Teen Spirit and has way more views than even that mega MEGA hit this year.
Edgar Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
Edgar Friendly
Good High School Starter

So I think we have 2 camps here.

A) The ones that aren't surprised that this song is destined to be the most viewed rock alternative song from the pre-YouTube era, and concede it is the most time tested rock alternative song in history.

B)It shouldn't be this popular, there is another reason for the EXTRAORDINARY attention it is getting.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #20
gigantes
   

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Friendly
I can see this, but I'm biased, I have always LOVED this song. But judging by the amount of views for a song that was not a monster hit in the 90s, that makes this the defacto most influential rock and time tested alternative song of the 90s, maybe in history since that genre is on it's deathbed right now. I mean it has almost caught up with Smells Like Teen Spirit and has way more views than even that mega MEGA hit this year.
do you reckon that youtube is the best measure for that? i'm not sure it is or it isn't, frankly. i would think more traditional measures would be # of radio plays and song / album sales over time... both of which might not be so relevant these days.

on another note, i could see lots of top songs being faddish in nature and quickly wearing themselves out, whereas others might benefit over time from being a little lesser-known when they first came out.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #21
warriorfan
Itís gonna be easy!

Users that have a surprisingly huge number of shit-posts, op
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #22
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
I'm not surprised that "Zombie" has lots of the views.

This. Zombies are en vogue now. Walking Dead, etc. People type 'Zombie' into google or youtube, it comes up near the top of the results.

Not really a mystery.

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 08-05-2016 at 07:08 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #23
Nick Young
Banned

Quote:
So I think we have 2 camps here.

A) The ones that aren't surprised that this song is destined to be the most viewed rock alternative song from the pre-YouTube era, and concede it is the most time tested rock alternative song in history.

B)It shouldn't be this popular, there is another reason for the EXTRAORDINARY attention it is getting.
It certainly has mass appeal. That can't be denied considering how popular it is all over the world from South America to Europe to Asia. Can't say about Africa as I wouldn't know but it was on Egyptian classic rock radio alot along with Toto, Cheap Trick and Boston.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #24
Edgar Friendly
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Users that have a surprisingly huge number of shit-posts, op

Fuck you Lebron. If you guys had lost, the loser above me would be in the NBA forum right now.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #25
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year

I had never heard this song until now
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #26
Edgar Friendly
Good High School Starter

For the record:

Zombie has more YouTube views than any Beatles song. More than any Elvis song . More than any Michael Jackson song, even though MJ's and the Cranberries' era overlapped.

Dolores dominates them ALL

Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #27
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
For the record:

Zombie has more YouTube views than any Beatles song. More than any Elvis song . More than any Michael Jackson song, even though MJ's and the Cranberries' era overlapped.

Dolores dominates them ALL

I will say that's because the huge majority of the fans of those people own the songs, or listen to music some other way than youtube. It sounds like kids listened to this when it came out, of course they search it on youtube. My mother isn't gonna youtube a beatles song shes gonna put her cd or ipod on.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #28
Edgar Friendly
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
I will say that's because the huge majority of the fans of those people own the songs, or listen to music some other way than youtube. It sounds like kids listened to this when it came out, of course they search it on youtube. My mother isn't gonna youtube a beatles song shes gonna put her cd or ipod on.

Song came out in 94. Waaaaay before YT.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:19 AM   #29
Schotsman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Song came out in 94. Waaaaay before YT.

That doesn't counter his point though. People that were young in 94 (like me, I was 7 years old at the time) are still relatively young now and work with computers and internet almost non-stop (for school, college, work, leisure, etc) and have been for a long time. A lot of friends of mine use Youtube as a music source (which I've always found weird, but hey). The people that were young during the Beatles and Stones era will never use Youtube as a medium to listen to music.

That doesn't fully explain the difference though I have to admit.
Schotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #30
StephHamann
Gambling expert

Quote:
For the record:

Zombies was uploaded 2009 and is still up. Many songs often get deleted and uploaded somewhere else.

Also a big factor when counting views.
StephHamann is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: