Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

Default major change

Last edited by gencbiba : 08-13-2010 at 11:43 AM.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
BRINKER

Default Re: major change

im afraid its time for the honesty train to come rollin through.

if you are goin in the marines one day, then gonna be a day-trader the next, then finally decide to go to community college, you need to seriously review these white-collar aspirations of yours. theres only so many good-paying jobs in a sector like that, and think of how many millions of kids are smarter than you. they were smarter in high school, then went on to a better college, and they're always gonna be better than you at economics because they were into it from day 1.

you are grasping for straws here. why dont you pick a skill, like electrics or plumbing, start learning the craft and the business, and make peace with the fact that it is your destiny. it will save you money and disappointment.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
anyone think economics is a good idea for the next 1-3 years? i'm possibly looking into it, and maybe minoring in mathematics and english. i don't know though.

engineering is fun, but i don't know if i can love the field all my life. i could always get another engineering degree later on in the future if it's beneficial.

If you want a job, stay with Engineering. Economics will be a lot easier though.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Positive
High School Varsity 12th Man

I look at it this way (I'm in engineering so maybe I'm biased) but here goes. When you get a degree in anything business you pretty much have to get your masters if you wanna get a decent job. As an engineering major, you can apply to get your MBA after you graduate the same as a business major (you might have to take a few classes but nothing too serious). If you get your MBA and you decide you don't like what you do, you always have your engineering background to go back to. That and the fact that you will be hard pressed to get a job as a business major coming out in the next couple years makes it a pretty clear cut choice to me, but then again I'm probably biased.
Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive
I look at it this way (I'm in engineering so maybe I'm biased) but here goes. When you get a degree in anything business you pretty much have to get your masters if you wanna get a decent job. As an engineering major, you can apply to get your MBA after you graduate the same as a business major (you might have to take a few classes but nothing too serious). If you get your MBA and you decide you don't like what you do, you always have your engineering background to go back to. That and the fact that you will be hard pressed to get a job as a business major coming out in the next couple years makes it a pretty clear cut choice to me, but then again I'm probably biased.

That's not bad advice. I'd say stick it out and stay with engineering. Besides, these financial companies hire people (well when they were hiring lol) of different backgrounds from say Chemistry to English majors.

It might be a hard major, but stick it out. Believe me, all my friends who are in the business field right now are having a hard time finding a job.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
A_RastaMon
Irie Mon!

yeah!
A_RastaMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Hawker
Banned

Stick with engineering but obviously I'm biased.

My brother just graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree but hated it and now he's going to get his masters in economics. He's going to a decent school for it and the school he's going to has placed students in very good PhD programs as well. He was accepted to other decent economic schools as well like UC at Davis. What hurt him was that he wasn't specific enough in his field of economics which was obviously due to him being an engineering major but he still got into decent schools.

You can pretty much do anything with an engineering degree. If you can do math, you're going places.

And like the other dude said, you can get an MBA. That's what my other friend who graduated with an Industrial Engineering major is going to do.

Last edited by Hawker : 05-18-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
If you can do math, you're going places.

alone.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
vapid
Paranoid Android

Economics should be very theoretical. It doesn't help you too much to get into a financial firm except for understanding the daily events of the economy in order to convince the firm you actually have a passion for what they are involved in.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: