Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Spec5ial5k5
I hit open layups

Spec5ial5k5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Shooting form

I need help with my form as you can see in the video my back and head are arching backwards for some reason how can i fix this and is there anything else mechanicly wrong with my shot you see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkkPFHJAcc
Spec5ial5k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Shooting form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5ial5k5
I need help with my form as you can see in the video my back and head are arching backwards for some reason how can i fix this and is there anything else mechanicly wrong with my shot you see

your form seems right. The problem is you are moving your head back. That why it isnt a smooth motion. Shooting is a eye and head coordination. Don't move your head and focus on the part of the rim where you focus on. Just think smooth motion and don't move your head and you should be fine.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

What you could try (what worked with me):

1. Make the release of your ball at a higher position (not as in jump but as in where the ball is relative to your body when you release the ball).

2. Hold the ball not as low when/just before you get into your shooting motion.

My back used to arch and my head cocked backwards as well, and I tried these and got it fixed. No.2 would probably have more benefits. It would be better for in-game situations as well.

Last edited by Junny : 03-20-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
DaSkeelz
Can barely lace up my sneakers

DaSkeelz has an OK reputation so far

Sorry to steal the thread but im unable to make a new one...

Whats the best way to adopt a new shooting form quickly?
DaSkeelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Eggy
Banned

Eggy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryEggy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryEggy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkeelz

Practice it.
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
DaSkeelz

That was a stupid question.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Spec5ial5k5
I hit open layups

Spec5ial5k5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

video tape yourselft i dont really think theres a way to do it quickly it takes time
Spec5ial5k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
DaSkeelz

Okay.

And sorry I got another question cause Im still unable to create threads. How unrealistic/realistic it is for a 16 yrs old going 17 at the end of the summer to reach the pros if he starts trainning heavily now? Now knowing how much talented he is... Thx in advance.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Okay.

And sorry I got another question cause Im still unable to create threads. How unrealistic/realistic it is for a 16 yrs old going 17 at the end of the summer to reach the pros if he starts trainning heavily now? Now knowing how much talented he is... Thx in advance.

for your shot form, practice it. tape yourself and watch how it looks. if you like the feel and it looks right keep it.

Are you talking about the NBA? your a soph or junior in HS? There are many pro leagues out there, most ppl don't even know about. obviously the bigs ones are the teams in euroleague and the NBA. I think your goal should be trying to play Division 1 Bball at a mid major or higher or a top notch D2 school. Most of the guys that play at that level are talented enough to play pro at least overseas and can play at that level and do all the time.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
DaSkeelz

im in my fifth year of hs(last one) in montreal i dont know how that translates in the US. tough im moving to toronto this summer so ill have to complete a 6th year.

im not very familiar with the level labels and everything but i get wur ur saying... playing in the nba is my ultimate goal tough.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
im in my fifth year of hs(last one) in montreal i dont know how that translates in the US. tough im moving to toronto this summer so ill have to complete a 6th year.

im not very familiar with the level labels and everything but i get wur ur saying... playing in the nba is my ultimate goal tough.

If you believe you can do it and are willing to devote enough time and energy to basketball, you can definitely do it. It will not be easy, because they're not exaggerating when they say that 1/100,000 (or something like that) of kids make it to the NBA. But like lilojmayo said, there's plenty of other professional leagues. If you really like the game, the fans you play for shouldn't matter. But even those leagues are no slouch.
You need to spend almost all your non-school time working. It can be weightlifting, footwork, coordination, watching tape, just practicing and improving in general. Do small things like brushing teeth with your off hand. Find creative ways to incorporate drills into your daily life, like dribbling a ball to your grocery store. You might look awkward, but it's worth it. At the end of the day, get a good sleep and make sure you reflect on your goals so you stay motivated and keep track of what you improved and what you need to work on.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec5ial5k5

When you bring the ball up, you bring it up so close to your face if you don't lean back you are going to pop yourself in the chin. You don't want to get the ball that close to your face that early in your shooting motion.
You may need to strengthen your lower body also. You are shooting a jump shot it seems like you have to really put your back into it to get good elevation. Record yourself shooting a set shot or free throws and see if you still arch your back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCgTNMf-BHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcOFU6o_kq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INYf6cw-88s
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: