Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
nkjordan23
Great young streetballer

nkjordan23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Wade, Dunleavy, Collison 4 Gay, Calderon, Darko

Benjamin, I really need your help with this one! I think it benefits me big time cause i already tank turnovers so Calderon's efficiency doesnt necessarily help me much. His percentages definitely do though.

The Gay and Dunleavy part is fairly close with Gay probably getting the slight edge, but you gotta believe Wade will make an attempt to turn things around with Marion in town. Whats your thoughts? Am i losing too many threes and blocks??

I think I need to eliminate the Darko and Collison portion though cause I need Darkos blocks.

My team:

Baron
Iverson
Calderon
Navarro
Maggette
Gay
Horford
Darko
Gasol
Al Jefferson
Kurt Thomas
Ilgauzkus
Jermaine O'neal
nkjordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation
Default Re: Wade, Dunleavy, Collison 4 Gay, Calderon, Darko

It seems like there's a lot of scenarios with this one, and it probably comes down to how much you're looking to gamble.

Gay is stronger than Dunleavy no doubt, but even with Gay's emergence as a top 20 talent lately, I feel like Dunleavy is still a decent option. I might not have said that at the beginning of this year, but he's been effective for so long now with consistency that I think you can feel confident that, although you are giving more in this half of the deal, there is still value there for you and you're not being blindly robbed.

The Wade/Calderon piece is the gamble IMO, and there's two sides to it. Getting an injuried Wade playing for an atrocious team probably means that you're going to lose out on some games towards the end of the year, like it or not. But there's no reason that he cant be completely effective for you for quite a while, as long as you can handle the TOs and such. Dealing Calderon means losing a lot of assists and few TOs, but his time is going to be cut into by Ford. I see Calderon's assists dropping back down to near 7 a game once Ford is back in game shape, and while that isn't bad, it's certainly not as elite as it is now.

So therein lies the gamble: are Wade's unreal stats over a potentially shorter time period more valuable to you than Calderon's potentially cut mins over a longer strech of time, whose numbers may or may not go down from here?

If its me, I do this deal. I love Gay's stats, but Dunleavy can fill the sheet for me too, albeit less effectively, but similar numbers are there to a lesser extent. I view the Wade/Jose piece like this: you grabbed Calderon off of waivers. You're dealing a waiver guy for a top 5 pg. There's a real risk of injury to Wade, and a real risk that Calderon's numbers could remain this high for the rest of the way, but I like the pot odds so to speak. (For example in poker terms, I've got a pair of queens but there's an ace on the board. A guy pushes all in, and there's a real chance he's got a higher pair than me on top of everything else that could happen. But since I raised the blinds after the deal and four other people have since folded, there's a ton of chips that I potentially stand to win, even if the odds don't favor me. I make that call and try to take that hand, because the return is so fantastic.) So the idea of getting Wade for a waiver move is enough to make me do that trade, especially because I'm feeling ok with the other half of it, even if I'm not winning that side outright.

Hope my rambling makes some sense
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
nkjordan23
Great young streetballer

Here lies my second question: Will the return of JO (if he returns healthy) affect what Dunleavy can do? Lastly, would I be ok in blocks with the loss of Darko and even Gay?

I think the assists will be covered because Gay rarely gets more than 2 if any at all. Dunleavy can give you anywhere from 2-6 a night. This trade honestly makes or breaks me because this guy is tied for second a few games behind me at this point. We are best friends too...haha so it scares me a little, but I love the gamble.

If you think the blocks will be fine (they will if JO gets back, but im not banking on that right now), then I think this deal is great.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
nkjordan23
Great young streetballer

Also, just looking at stats, will Wade really provide me more than Calderon? I'm starting to wonder about Wade's value. The only thing that makes me want to do this trade is the idea of flipping Wade. What if i could package something and get LeBron?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
SmokeyJumbo
I brick open layups

SmokeyJumbo has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjordan23
Here lies my second question: Will the return of JO (if he returns healthy) affect what Dunleavy can do?

I just want to jump in here on this. I've had Dunleavy all year, myself, and I have observed that Dunleavy's numbers have been quite consistent the entire season -- with or without JO in the lineup.
SmokeyJumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far

Stay away from Wade

just don't even do it.

he's got too many injuries and their going to shut him down eventually and prolly play Dorell Wright more and see how good Marcus Banks is.

Don't do it!
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elz
Stay away from Wade

just don't even do it.

he's got too many injuries and their going to shut him down eventually and prolly play Dorell Wright more and see how good Marcus Banks is.

Don't do it!

This is a valid point, and the more people that chime in (like Colangelo) make me more and more hesitant for you to do this trade. It makes me want to change my tune from my previous post after reading this yesterday:

"During All-Star weekend Jerry Colangelo, managing director of Team USA, said that Dwyane Wade is "more injured than he leads people to believe."
There was no elaboration, but we already know that last season Wade sustained serious nerve damage after his shoulder was dislocated. Nobody doubts his heart or his desire to play, but you've got to think the Heat (with a record of 9-40 on the season) will shut him down before the season ends. He's still putting up some big numbers, so forward-thinking owners should think about selling-high on D-Wade."

nk, did you already do the deal? If so, flip Wade fast and lets hope for the best.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
nkjordan23
Great young streetballer

Funny you guys say that cause I read the same thing the other day from Colangelo. Thank God I....DIDN'T do the trade.

Actually what happened was I sent a counter offer of Calderon & Gay for Dunleavy & Wade because I couldnt afford to lose the blocks from Darko and he rejected it. He actually pulled back that initial trade though after I brought it up on here. I was kicking myself at first cause I think I could have flipped Wade for Nash talking to another owner. However, I just read that Ford had an abdominal strain at practice the other day and probably wont suit up for the first game so its safe to say Calderon will continue to be the man. I have no doubt I'll be okay though without the deal. Thanks for the help though guys.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjordan23
Funny you guys say that cause I read the same thing the other day from Colangelo. Thank God I....DIDN'T do the trade.

Actually what happened was I sent a counter offer of Calderon & Gay for Dunleavy & Wade because I couldnt afford to lose the blocks from Darko and he rejected it. He actually pulled back that initial trade though after I brought it up on here. I was kicking myself at first cause I think I could have flipped Wade for Nash talking to another owner. However, I just read that Ford had an abdominal strain at practice the other day and probably wont suit up for the first game so its safe to say Calderon will continue to be the man. I have no doubt I'll be okay though without the deal. Thanks for the help though guys.

Cheers man, hope it works out for you.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
snkhan
I airball my layups

snkhan has an OK reputation so far

calderon will be top 10 fantasy rest of year tj poses no threat raps will rest tj as much until close to playoffs and he will not start while calderon is there

50 fg

40 3pct

90 ftp

deadly numbers
snkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: