Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 10-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default Vladimir Radmanovic's Pleasant Surprise; Smush Parker Injures His Shoulder

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...5.388bd8b.html

Shooter Takes 'D' Seriously

11:52 PM PDT

Wednesday, October 4, 2006

By BRODERICK TURNER

The Press-Enterprise

EL SEGUNDO - Oh, it was an insult, all right, one that Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis threw out at Vladimir Radmanovic and one the 6-foot-10 forward took in stride.

Defense has been the big theme during the first two days of Lakers training camp, and Radmanovic took the bait.

Radmanovic is not known for his defensive prowess, but he has been getting down in his defensive stance, talking on defense, helping on defense, trying to be a better defender than he ever has been.

After Tuesday's practice, Rambis told Radmanovic he "showed me a lot more on the defensive end than I expected out of him."

Rambis, who is running Lakers practices while head coach Phil Jackson recovers from right hip replacement surgery, gathered his thoughts for a moment, looked at Radmanovic and said, "I guess that's kind of an insult, huh?"

"It was a positive insult," Radmanovic said.

"You can tell that his mind-set is to play offense," Rambis said, "but he also understands that he's got a responsibility on the defensive end."

The reality is that the Lakers signed Radmanovic to a five-year, $31 million contract in July because he can stretch the defense with his ability to consistently knock down three-point shots.

Radmanovic made 39 percent of his three-pointers last season. He was acquired by the Clippers in February for his outside shooting, and he didn't disappoint, making 46.3 percent of his three-pointers during the playoffs. He has shot 38.1 percent from three-point range over his five-year career.

Radmanovic did say he understands the Lakers' defensive principles because they are similar to the ones he learned during his first four-plus seasons in Seattle.

"I'm pretty much familiar with that kind of defense," Radmanovic said. "I think I can help a lot."

He's still learning the triangle offense, but he rebuffed the notion that it takes a player an entire season to learn it.

"I'll try to pick it up earlier," Radmanovic said. "It's going to be too late at the end of the season. It doesn't seem too complicated to me. Maybe it is. I just don't realize it yet. So far, it's been pretty good for me. There are some adjustments I have to do. Just get rid of old habits and put all this new stuff into my brain and start working it that way."

Parker's Shoulder Hurting

The beat-up Lakers took another hit Wednesday when point guard Smush Parker was forced out of practice because of a sprained right shoulder.

Parker said he was injured after he dived on the floor for a loose ball during practice Tuesday and collided with Brian Cook.

Parker said he woke up Wednesday and felt stiffness and swelling in the shoulder. He said he should return soon.

Painful Lesson

None of the Lakers have forgotten they had a 3-1 lead over the Phoenix Suns in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. They lost the series and became just the eighth team in NBA history to lose a series after such a lead.

The Lakers appeared to have won Game 6 at home but couldn't secure a rebound, which led to Tim Thomas hitting a game-tying three-pointer. LA lost in overtime.

"(We were) a rebound, a defensive rotation away from advancing and playing teams that we thought the matchup went in our favor," Lamar Odom said. "I guess we looked past the first round a little bit when we were up 3-1. That was the youth thing, so everybody matured a little bit and, hopefully, we'll learn how to kick them when they are down."

Reach Broderick Turner at bturner@PE.com

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...5.388bd8b.html
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I thought he knew the triangle?

whatever.

As for smush...get better soon...yes i know cooky is clumsy but its funny.

I still think last year we coulda made the finals...because we could be the clippers, Mavericks are a team that couldnt gaurd Kobe and he might have put a huge series up for LA to take it, then you got Shaq vs Kobe in the finals

Even if LA did play in the finals and lost i would still be happy because It answers the question whether Kobe Bryant (a gaurd) could be the person to build around on a team and who knows, maybe we would have won. lakers are a tough team and they got a lot stronger.

well, Moments like that I wanna kick myself in the ass but its ok.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ok, I promised I would be good, so I wont say a thing. I will let our trusted moderators do their work.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:05 AM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would like to see somewhere sited that VLadi already knows the triangle.

Lotta people said it except for vladi himself.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

Ya I know I read it, it's not in the NBA where he learned and played using the triangle!!! But its been a while since he has!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

oh ok cool.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
*LAKERS_3_PETE*
Local High School Star

*LAKERS_3_PETE* has decent reputation

Wow that's awesome a euro :confused: that's putting the emphasis on D before shooting. Lakers got Radmanovic for his shooting ability to open up the floor and if he can mix in some D aswell then the Lakers have gotten themselves the deal of a lifetime. Now if Rad's main priority is to focus on playin' the D then the rest of the Lakers should be enthused on following Rad!

Last edited by *LAKERS_3_PETE* : 10-09-2006 at 04:50 AM.
*LAKERS_3_PETE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:15 AM   #8
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

cool! Radmanovic with D is cool! too bad ain't gonna make much diff...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #9
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

I agree with you, I dont think V-Rad said that ever.

What I *thought* I had read is that he would be a good system player and that the Triangle should come easy. Now we know how media hype could have "morphed" that into something more than it was.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lol if the media made that up because hes a good system player i dont know where the hell they got that from because the last quote i read from vladi he was saying "I dont think it's hard, It wont take me a full season ot LEARN it"

So why would he LEARN it again?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far

I always assumed that was a rumor or just some made-up jive as it seems completely illogical. The rumor was that he "played the triangle previously in europe..." Well VladRad played for Yugoslavia like 7 years ago, and who the heck knew the triangle offense in Yugoslavia in 1999? I don't remember Tex Winter spending any time over in Yugoslavia coaching, and unless you've got Tex, you're not running the Triangle.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

I know!

Where the hell did that come from "his euro team played it"?

I think Bleedinpurple might know it.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: