Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: When you think about it, Chicago is the best city to live at.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Even my hometown Portland OR has a few neighborhoods that I would not really want to walk through at night. Exactly which major cities have no poverty and a negligible crime rate?
    Are you really putting Portland's bad neighborhoods up there with Rio's slum cities?

The city where I live for instance, Amsterdam, there is no real poverty. And bad neighborhoods? At worst some streets where you won't feel comfortable as a woman alone at night, but otherwise not really. And I'm in no way saying this place is the best to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Are you really putting Portland's bad neighborhoods up there with Rio's slum cities?

The city where I live for instance, Amsterdam, there is no real poverty. And bad neighborhoods? At worst some streets where you won't feel comfortable as a woman alone at night, but otherwise not really. And I'm in no way saying this place is the best to live in.
    No, I am saying every major city has neighborhoods that are less than ideal. I have visited Mumbai, I have seen and smelled slums before, and while you wont see any true slums like this in Portland, that doesnt mean Portland is perfect. I have never been to Rio, but it seems like a nice city to me, in spite of the crime rate.
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 10-14-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Every city has sh.itty areas, Chicago just so happens to be filled with them

Dunking on everybody in the park

Depends what poverty means to you, if you are going by the real worldwide definition which is living with less than one dollar a day then Rio doesn't have much poverty either, if you mean inequality then yes its a big thing in most big cities (remember occupy wall street?)

Rio has the perfect combination of climate and natural beauty i have ever seen in a city. It has its problems with public transportation (subways are packed during rush hours) but it has the infrastructure of a big city in most areas. An apartment in Rio can cost up to 20 million dollars, its the second or third most expensive city in the world (i think it only loses to Tokyo), which clearly means that a lot of people with money like to live here. Also the job market is growing and most people are employed.

Also women here are just unbelievably hot.

Crime rate is high in the extremely poor areas because of drug wars, most innocent and working people dont get killed because of it. Yes there are still a lot of problems that we have to solve but so do most big cities, and hundreds of years of politicians dragging their feet didnt help either, but overall there has been a huge improvement in the last 10 years, specially considering that most drug lords and gangs have been imprisioned or killed by the police in the last 2-3 years.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Yeah... none of this is really selling me.

The fact that what many trustworthy news outlets call a riots are merely "mass-scale protests over municipal services" according to you isn't really selling me Rio as the best city to live in.

The fact that other cities in Latin America also have a huge part of the population living in slums and a huge crime problem doesn't seem very relevant either.

The point is that there are many cities in the world with no true poverty and a negligible crime rate. I'm sure Rio is great to live in if you are rich and you exclusively stay in the rich enclave part of town (just like any big city), but the above mentioned factors make it a far cry from the best in my estimation.
    Could you please post a link for the bolded part?

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    Could you please post a link for the bolded part?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wn-police.html

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    ranked #9 in murder rate.
    Yuck

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

I mean if we're just gonna post pictures of Hawaii resorts and assume you can just work remotely or not have to worry about having a job...

[QUOTE=Bigsmoke]no hurricanes, earthquakes, Volcanoes, not really any tornadoes since i've never experienced one in my life.

besides the fact that its 40

National High School Star

I find it fascinating that people who claim their city (or some city) is the best really seem to be doing it out of some sense of pride, rather than experiences.

I grew up in Silicon Valley and I had the "best" childhood. My parents weren't well off (immigrants), but my sister and I managed to:

-Attend public schools that ranked in the top 5% from elementary through high school.
    -Safe enough that we could walk home from school alone as a kid after being 10 years old
    -Beautiful weather
    -Opportunity to participate in many many extracurriculars (hoops, violin, sax, acting, singing, computer etc)
    -Quality people (value effort, education and had a stable family environment)

Now, of course many of those childhood friends live in SF. They claim it's the best city in the world etc etc. I have been living abroad for the past 4 years in various countries. It surprises me how a city like Seoul is basically better in so many ways than San Francisco. Significantly larger (10 mill+ people), significantly better transportation, significantly better cost of living, significantly better safety, significantly less homeless/crazies/etc etc.

A lot of the reasons people "claim" their cities is better is stuff they have never experienced themselves. Most of my friends haven't visited the GG Bridge, Alcatraz, the Presidio, gone to all the great restaurants on Zagat guides, segway'd through Golden Gate Park, visited SF Zoo, taken a Bay Cruise etc etc etc etc.

I did all of that when I visited and stayed in SF for 3 weeks last month (with my foreign visiting gf). It was so fun and amazing. However, none of that stuff is really what makes a city great for living. It simply makes it great for tourism.

The real reasons are the ability/opportunity to find work, progress your career and be close to your family/friends. New York, per what I like, is a better city than any other. However, it doesn't have my family, friends and familiarity of life. Home base should feel like home base.

Banned

I'd think Melbourne and Sydney would be up there for best cities in the world to live in. Very laid back, low crimes rates and even lower violent crimes rates, pretty easy to get jobs, good education, good health care system, reasonable rent if you live in the suburbs. No real natural disasters either. There isn't really any suburbs in Melbourne that are flat out slum areas you can't go to, sure there's some dodgy areas but it's not like how some american suburbs are.

But I agree with above, most people will rate the city they grew up in.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I find it fascinating that people who claim their city (or some city) is the best really seem to be doing it out of some sense of pride, rather than experiences.

I grew up in Silicon Valley and I had the "best" childhood. My parents weren't well off (immigrants), but my sister and I managed to:

-Attend public schools that ranked in the top 5% from elementary through high school.
    -Safe enough that we could walk home from school alone as a kid after being 10 years old
    -Beautiful weather
    -Opportunity to participate in many many extracurriculars (hoops, violin, sax, acting, singing, computer etc)
    -Quality people (value effort, education and had a stable family environment)

Now, of course many of those childhood friends live in SF. They claim it's the best city in the world etc etc. I have been living abroad for the past 4 years in various countries. It surprises me how a city like Seoul is basically better in so many ways than San Francisco. Significantly larger (10 mill+ people), significantly better transportation, significantly better cost of living, significantly better safety, significantly less homeless/crazies/etc etc.

A lot of the reasons people "claim" their cities is better is stuff they have never experienced themselves. Most of my friends haven't visited the GG Bridge, Alcatraz, the Presidio, gone to all the great restaurants on Zagat guides, segway'd through Golden Gate Park, visited SF Zoo, taken a Bay Cruise etc etc etc etc.

I did all of that when I visited and stayed in SF for 3 weeks last month (with my foreign visiting gf). It was so fun and amazing. However, none of that stuff is really what makes a city great for living. It simply makes it great for tourism.

The real reasons are the ability/opportunity to find work, progress your career and be close to your family/friends. New York, per what I like, is a better city than any other. However, it doesn't have my family, friends and familiarity of life. Home base should feel like home base.
    well said

had to stay up at a hotel due to the storm. this was earlier today. $150 view.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    had to stay up at a hotel due to the storm. this was earlier today. $150 view.
    Lol I know exactly where u are at

Yuck