Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Antwan Jamison says Michael can still play today even at 50

I wouldn't doubt that in the right situation with a LeBron (James) on his team or with a Kobe (Bryant) on this team, he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes," said Antawn Jamison before the Lakers played the Bobcats on Friday. "I wouldn't doubt that at all, especially if he was in shape and injuries were prevented and things of that nature."

That's saying a lot, considering Jamison has Bryant on his team, and only averages 8.1 points per game in 20.5 minutes per game and he's "only" 36 years old.

Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...contributor-50
    Last edited by jstern; 02-10-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Default Re: Antwan Jamison says Michael can still play today even at 50

It all depends on what drives them. MJ has a full load of it even today.

Ofcourse he could, i can think of many former NBA players at that age who could.... but how effectively is the question...

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

he'd be worst than steve nash on d tho

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

From that same article:

"He wasn't joking," said Jamison of Jordan's declaration at the HOF ceremony. "You hear stories still to this day, especially last year, him going to the practice facility and playing 1-on-1 with the guys and still they can't stop him."

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Ofcourse he could, i can think of many former NBA players at that age who could.... but how effectively is the question...
    In the right situation he could do very well.

He was trying to carry the entire load and playing with injuries as a Wiz. Naturally he can't do that anymore, but he can play as a supporting member perhaps with a good big man. He wouldn't be a good fit with another good guard, he'd have to play with a big man that commands double teams and is a defensive presence as well.

With a slightly reduced role, good big man and less minutes he could be very effective and may even have a couple 4o pt games and a 50 pt game if all things are aligned in his favor (rest, rest, rest).

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    In the right situation he could do very well.

He was trying to carry the entire load and playing with injuries as a Wiz. Naturally he can't do that anymore, but he can play as a supporting member perhaps with a good big man. He wouldn't be a good fit with another good guard, he'd have to play with a big man that commands double teams and is a defensive presence as well.

With a slightly reduced role, good big man and less minutes he could be very effective and may even have a couple 4o pt games and a 50 pt game if all things are aligned in his favor (rest, rest, rest).
    I said this before, but I remember a statistic of Wizard's Jordan show his numbers with 1 day or more rest vs his stats on games where he played the previous day, and the differences were day and night. So for an older player the most important thing is rest.

10-11 points? MJ can do better than that even now.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I said this before, but I remember a statistic of Wizard's Jordan show his numbers with 1 day or more rest vs his stats on games where he played the previous day, and the differences were day and night. So for an older player the most important thing is rest.
    For anybody that saw Wizards MJ play his stats are misleading. He would regularly drop 15 points in the first half, then quiet down the second half. But that's not surprising since EVERY PLAYER normally performs this way. MJ's efficiency didn't drop because he couldn't play or the defense was better in the second half. His body simply didn't have enough left, due to him carrying the load.

I remember watching those stats you're referring too as well. They showed them in a few telecasts, and you're correct. The numbers are night and day, not even close. Then there's those days in which he felt good (for as good as somebody at that age can feel) and those were the games he killed. There was even stretches in which he would average MVP numbers for 2 weeks stretches a number of times.

Honestly speaking, he can probably come back and play 20-25 minutes per game. A supporting role with less pressure will do wonders for his endurance. As I mentioned, playing with a big man that commands double teams should crate more one on one situations for him, in better positions on the court increasing his efficiency instantly.

15 ppg 46% 4 boards 4 assists 1 stl is a decent hypothetical stat sheet

Banned

inb4 mj signing with the heat next season.

There is no way he could play at 50, because he couldn't guard anyone.

If I was going to pick a former player who could possibly play at 50, it would be a knockdown 3 point shooter, not a guy who relied on his strength and speed to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

If I was going to pick a former player who could possibly play at 50, it would be a knockdown 3 point shooter, not a guy who relied on his strength and speed to succeed.
    Naturally his biggest weakness would be his quickness. But he'd still be smarter and more fundamentally sound than 99% of the league.

Shit, if Kidd is still out there guarding the top guards why can't MJ? I can almost guarantee that MJ at this age is still quicker than Kidd right now. Hell, don't have to go far but to look at Artest. Still considered by some as a good defender although he was never quick. He's quicker than MJ is now, but MJ is still smarter, and can get away with more calls. Have a good big man in the middle and he's not getting exposed as much.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

The league is full with players who can't guard anyone

MJ should come back one more time for his legacy. He must show up in great shape, and slim. He doesn't need to play defense. He can just score 15 to 20 a game. Most players would feel too much respect to want to embarrass him anyways.

National High School Star

I've heard that while Larry Bird was an exec on the Pacers he'd always be watching scrimmages and practices from the sideline. If practice ended and there happened to be a ball near him he take a shot from where ever he was and always swish it. No warm up, wearing a suit, swish every time. So I don't doubt some of these old guys can still score.