Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: british basketball.How poor is it?

Definately on the up! GB qualified in style to reach Eurobasket 2009. Although we lost 3 games we held our heads high. We had to contend with not have Deng, an unfit Boyd and Betts, Pop's only arriving a few days before the tournament started. So to run Spain close we should be proud! Looking ahead the squad we have just announce is exciting, DENG, GORDON, POPS, FREELAND, AND BOYD is some line up, and we should now expect to qualify and be rubbing shoulders with the best. More good news is that the BBL will return to Sky sports next year. The league is starting to improve and more British players are getting to see significant court time. What we do need isa headline sponsor to inject some cash into the game to take it to the next level. The next level for me is competing well in the Euro cup.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inaminute23
    Definately on the up! GB qualified in style to reach Eurobasket 2009. Although we lost 3 games we held our heads high. We had to contend with not have Deng, an unfit Boyd and Betts, Pop's only arriving a few days before the tournament started. So to run Spain close we should be proud! Looking ahead the squad we have just announce is exciting, DENG, GORDON, POPS, FREELAND, AND BOYD is some line up, and we should now expect to qualify and be rubbing shoulders with the best. More good news is that the BBL will return to Sky sports next year. The league is starting to improve and more British players are getting to see significant court time. What we do need isa headline sponsor to inject some cash into the game to take it to the next level. The next level for me is competing well in the Euro cup.
    I agree that GB did well in the eurobasket. What I am referring though is the standard of basketball in the U.K. the awareness people have about it is 0! I didnt see a mention of not even the score of the euroleague final 4 in any newspapers. If the final four is held in London, 95% of the population wouldn't have a clue it's going on. How many of the team GB players play in the BBL? most have to leave to Spain if they are good enough to improve, like Clark,Freeland,Archibald etc. Gordon is hardly a homemade product(I think he has only been to the UK once!) Deng is Sudanese. Ask anyone in the streets if they know who luol Deng is and the chances are they don't know!! even though he is one of britain's best paid sportsman.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    I agree that GB did well in the eurobasket. What I am referring though is the standard of basketball in the U.K. the awareness people have about it is 0! I didnt see a mention of not even the score of the euroleague final 4 in any newspapers. If the final four is held in London, 95% of the population wouldn't have a clue it's going on. How many of the team GB players play in the BBL? most have to leave to Spain if they are good enough to improve, like Clark,Freeland,Archibald etc. Gordon is hardly a homemade product(I think he has only been to the UK once!) Deng is Sudanese. Ask anyone in the streets if they know who luol Deng is and the chances are they don't know!! even though he is one of britain's best paid sportsman.

I agree, media attention must improve. It seems that it is only the national team attracting attention. If you wern't aware The daily mirror are their media partner, and give decent coverage in the paper and online. Bit unfair to say Ben has only been back once, according to him he came back every year to visit his family wembly up until he started college i think.

Quote Originally Posted by inaminute23
    I agree, media attention must improve. It seems that it is only the national team attracting attention. If you wern't aware The daily mirror are their media partner, and give decent coverage in the paper and online. Bit unfair to say Ben has only been back once, according to him he came back every year to visit his family wembly up until he started college i think.
    was exagerrating about Gordon, but still if he had had the chance to play for USA, he would have. plus my point was that they weren't home grown. Deng def was ,but Clark and Freeland left early in their development stage because otherwise they'd had been wasted in the U.K. Robert Archibald could wonder about the streets of Edinburgh and very few would recognise him! Apart from Andy Murray what other Scottish sportsman has his salary? maybe a couple of footballers. Euroleague had an agreement to hold the final four in the o2 in 2010 or 2011, as it happens 2010 was in Paris and I believe 2011 is in Turin, so they keep postponing it, I really think it would be bad business at the moment too. there was a survey done in the UK around the time the olympics were awarded to london and basketball was the 18th most popular sport in the UK. 18th!! hard trying to think of 17 others!

Banned

The new BBA league will increase basketball a lot in the UK. That league will have a larger operating budget than the ACB and the VTB leagues.

Saw a basketball once

Unhappy Re: british basketball.How poor is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    The new BBA league will increase basketball a lot in the UK. That league will have a larger operating budget than the ACB and the VTB leagues.
    That league is never going to happen, I know peope who have been involved in it and they say their is 0 chance of it ever happening, its a real shame

Quote Originally Posted by riley15
    That league is never going to happen, I know peope who have been involved in it and they say their is 0 chance of it ever happening, its a real shame
    why does it not suprise me?

Future D1 Dad

< cue piano >
    where Ben Gordon is a superstar happens.

where eel pie happens...

'Dirty Work' is a 14 minute film about the state of basketball in Britain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL3aXvvf5EQ