Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: What is your IQ?

Don't know, don't care.

   

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Adults can also be tested for certain jobs (some jobs actually require a battery of tests like personality tests and specific ability tests too).
    you know, that did cross my mind, but i thought an IQ test as part of a job req did sound pretty rare indeed. i think myth would be right on about that one.

Uncommon and rare are synonyms, I don't think it really matters which word you use. It is also pretty rare for kids to be measured too, but probably not as rare as adults. Maybe it is different in the US but in Australia it is still fairly uncommon for a kid to be given an IQ test.
    ah, well i like to strive for accuracy in certain matters, and i see plenty of difference in the two words, which is why i came up with the examples of variance that i did. to each their own, though.

so in oz, what means are used to identify both gifted and special kids? parents would naturally have a large stake in that.

in the US, i'm not sure of the exact figure, but it seems to me that most states give kids IQ tests around age nine - ten.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    you know, that did cross my mind, but i thought an IQ test as part of a job req did sound pretty rare indeed. i think myth would be right on about that one.
    I'm not sure how often it happens, but it does happen. I just finished my undergrad psych degree a few months ago and the last course I did was on administering the WAIS-IV. It was mentioned several times that people going into organizational psychology would most likely being administering this test at some point in their career to potential employees (and the likelihood is going up due to the increasingly competitive job market).

ah, well i like to strive for accuracy in certain matters, and i see plenty of difference in the two words, which is why i came up with the examples of variance that i did. to each their own, though.

so in oz, what means are used to identify both gifted and special kids? parents would naturally have a large stake in that.

in the US, i'm not sure of the exact figure, but it seems to me that most states give kids IQ tests around age nine - ten.
    Actually I am not too sure, I could be wrong. I suppose kids would have to be given some sort of test if they are suspected of being highly gifted. However we do have selective high schools that require placement tests for entrance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selecti...South_Wales%29

But for extremely gifted kids I guess they would be given tests at younger ages as you said. But I haven't seen or heard much about them either academically or anecdotaly.
    Last edited by miller-time; 10-11-2013 at 02:37 AM.