Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #226
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2019-20 season - Been waiting two decades for this one!

Quote:
Warriors guard D’Angelo Russell, who suffered a sprained right thumb during last night’s game against the Boston Celtics at Chase Center, underwent an MRI last night. The MRI confirmed the sprain. Russell will be re-evaluated in two (2) weeks and will not travel with the team on its upcoming four-game road trip to New Orleans, Memphis, Dallas and Utah. – via NBA.com

Andy Larsen: Jazz just assigned PG Nigel Williams-Goss to the SLC Stars for the first time this season. Makes sense, given that Exum provides cover to those minutes for the Jazz now that he’s healthy. – via Twitter andyblarsen

Be good to see what he can do at that level. He showed he could play abroad. Looks like they play again tomorrow. Haven't had a chance to watch yesterday's game yet. Guessing he will be back with Jazz Monday to give them 13 on the roster
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #227
Xiao Yao You

Andy Larsen: Interesting! Jazz/Grizzlies L2M report says that the Solomon Hill strip was a Correct No Call. ďHill (MEM) makes contact with the ball and incidental contact with Mitchellís (UTA) hand that is considered part of the ball during his upward shooting motion.Ē Ė via Twitter andyblarsen
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #228
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
The defense is carrying the team as always, the offense is worse this year than last 2 seasons and the bench is a disaster.
You infer small sample size for the team progressing just fine. Iíll cite it in the Jazz winning close games consistently.
Itís fine if you donít see a problem, but many of us who are pulling for an actual championship run do see problems, plural.

Posted by Gobert_the_destroyer on Nov 17, 2019 | 11:30 AM

The defense or Gobert is carrying them as always. But Mitchell!

Quote:
Jingles is +1.2. Thatís not good, but the team isnít dying when heís on the court either.

Among the starters, Rudy, Banjo, and Mitchell are all +13. Conley is +2. Royce is Ė 9.

SoÖConley and Jingles are not doing as well as we expect. And Royce/Green/Bradley are hurting us.

Posted by Uber_snotling on Nov 17, 2019 | 11:39 AM

Ingles is trying to do more little things like screening now. Hopefully he'll figure out his role. But after last season I'd be worried.

Quote:
Exum, in theory, could help to alleviate the Green situation depending on if he ever actually plays (why call him up then not play him in a game where a lot of guys are struggling?).
Davis leg break was the worst thing that could happen to a back up with how this roster is constructed. There was no margin for error because Bradley isnít really NBA ready and I donít think he ever will be; at least in the Jazz system.
Mudiay is the Jazz best trade chip right now, by a mile. Heís somebody the Jazz would be willing to trade, who is playing well and who could legit start on a young team whose window is down the road a few years. But heís on a minimum contract so a team has to be willing to pick up Exum or Davis or Green to get Mudiay.

Posted by Gobert_the_destroyer on Nov 17, 2019 | 11:57 AM

What theory has Exum helping? The D is fine. Another non shooter, non finisher turnover, fouling machine is not what they need! He didn't play because he's not a good fit next to Mudiay and Mudiay is better is my guess. Was a mistake not to have another vet center if for no other reason so Bradley could play in the Gleague instead of sitting on the end of the bench. Ideally you keep Mudiay but might not be able to sign him next year anyway. I think they can only pay him so much more than he makes now which would limit them

Quote:
Exum can be a competent back-up. Davis is a good back-up.

The Jazz need to play a bunch of games to see what they got before they can make changes. They have to see how the other teams in the conference look.

And they donít have a lot of assets to make those changes. The bench they have now is pretty much what the can afford. This team is incomplete. They are weak at the big forward spot. The bench is weak. I donít know how they have been playing the D they have, but I think that will receed some. And the offense will get better.

It doesnít make any sense to panic on a team like this until after Christmas.

Posted by BoufantPuffydoo on Nov 17, 2019 | 1:44 PM

Exum might be able to play. But until he actually proves it he sucks! What will their record be if they wait? They do have some flexibilty. There are vets that can play out there. No one out there that can help them more than Kidd? That's hard to believe. They need to do what they can as soon as they can and hope they can fix anything else with buyouts. Bogut's return to Utah maybe?

Quote:
Is Melo worse or better than Jeff Green? I donít want CA on the Jazz to be clear, but Jeff Green is horrific defensively and canít rebound and wonít use his athleticism for anything other than the occasional dunk that may result in an offensive foul. Just a thought exercise. The big difference might be willingness to play a role and that the league hasnít exhausted itself on JG like it has conversations about "Is Melo a winner," etc.

Love RoCo in Minny. I donít see MT giving him away though. He can guard four positions and could play the five in uber-modern lineups.

Too soon for trades. This teamís construction is fine for now. The playoffs are an 8-man rotation anyway. Letís see what Exum can bringÖ[shrugs shoulders and dies inside]Ö

Posted by Karl Stalone 32 on Nov 17, 2019 | 1:42 PM

It will never get bad enough to need Melo!

Quote:
what's your take on
giving those limited mins to Brantley and Oni instead of Green and Niang ?

Posted by statpower on Nov 17, 2019 | 4:22 PM

Mitchell is the only rookie good enough to play right away for Snyder. Oni and Brantley could help later on in the year. Let them dominate the Gleague first. Would have liked to have seen Exum and Bradley do that as well

Quote:
It is very unlikely the Jazz will go to the finals this year. Other teams have better anchor players and/or benches. Plus there is the experience factor. Other teams have better experience. But the Jazz are on track for being genuine contenders in a couple years. Got to think about this year being a big step in that direction. Enjoy the growth of Mitchell. Enjoy Gobertís dominance. Figure out who the keepers are, what the weaknesses are. And itís not impossible that the Jazz jell and other teams have injuries and the Jazz get it.

Posted by BoufantPuffydoo on Nov 17, 2019 | 1:57 PM

Other benches look thin too from most of the top teams. In a couple years it will be time to pay Mitchell and Gobert. This year and next are their best shot

Quote:
How long ago were many of you crowing about our depth, aside from reserve centerÖ
Davis going down was a blow, but thatís a part of most any NBA season.

Likely the bench play will improve as a few more games are played.
Tough schedule and some teething issues. The team has performed solidly and has room to improve Ė letís see if the bench is still an item to discuss in January.

I have yet to see much to be overly scared about major issues going forward.

Posted by BitterrootJazzFan on Nov 17, 2019 | 1:57 PM

they haven't been deep since the black hole was here
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #229
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
I wanted to put Robert Covington in here, but the T-Wolves are seeing success. That could change by the end of Decemberóafter all the Grizzlies were above .500 at this time last season. But heís definitely someone Utah could have their eye on and is a favorite pairing for Utah of Zach Loweís. If the San Antonio Spurs continue to struggle, it will be a situation to monitor, especially considering Dennis Lindsey and Quin Snyderís ties to the Texas organization.

Twolves suck. Covington would be a perfect fit here. Again how many picks are they willing to give up because there isn't much else to attract anyone

Quote:
One potential situation to monitor as well will be Joe Inglesí struggles. He has a good size contract and if he continues to struggle, his contract combined with Dante Exumís, can match a good sized near all-star playerís contract. Combined with draft picks, it could prove interesting. Utah is in full win mode for a championship, so if things start going awry with expectations, expect Justin Zanik to get aggressive. Heís already shown a willingness to be aggressive in free agency and in the trade market. I donít expect anything different from Zanik midseason as he does everything in his power to keep Utah on target for championship contention.

Don't expect much. The fact that they went into the season with such a thin rotation tells me they aren't all in still

Quote:
Trust me
I know Exumís contract is the filler right now. Any trade involving Exum will require Royce or Ingles or both and thatís before you get to draft pick considerations.

At the same time, this is the road Zanik put Utah on when he pushed all of Utahís chips to the center of the table. If his bench is not getting it done, he has to go back to the war chest and pony up for the players they need or risk having their bluff called.

Posted by Mychal Lowman on Nov 17, 2019 | 9:02 AM

no one is taking Ingles contract right now either. If he starts to play well they won't trade him. Only reason I can see trading O'Neale is if they think he will cost too much to sign next year or a definite upgrade like Covington. Ideally you keep the starting 5. Everyone else should be available. Be nice to keep Mudiay, Bradley, Oni and Brantley.

Quote:
Is the Jazz FO/Organization too nice (loyal) to members of the team?
The extension and $ size of Joe I. doesnít make a bit of sense to me at this point for the team or where Joe is in his career. It makes things harder to work around.
They did the same with Exum and Favors when the resigned them. Exum in no way was worth what heís been paid, and to me thatís even if he hadnít been injured. He never performed to any expectations when he was on the floor.
The offenseÖ Iím one who thinks that Mike Conley will still be a perfect fit for the Jazz, just going to take time. He seems tobe pressing too hard.
Love getting Bojan and Mudiay. Even Jeff Green is good as a role player.
I was one who really wanted the Jazz to draft higher and thought Eric Paschall was the player to go after, (didnít know he and Donovan had the connection)
Back to my point, last year and this year I have felt very strongly that offensively the team is TOO INDECISIVE on shots. It looks like they really donít know when to shoot and when to pass, often passing up a good shot for a better one. The hesitation is screwing with players confidence and rhythm IMO. DM is the exception as he just takes what he feels he has to. Mudiay seems to do this as well.
What are your thoughts on this?

Posted by AdMan59 on Nov 17, 2019 | 12:47 PM

Jazz have never been smart about who and how much to pay people. Okur should have never got his last deal or Horny while letting Shandon get away. Par for the course with this franchise.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #230
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-trades-a...s-bobby-portis

Quote:
If Utah did not want to part with Ed Davis, this trade becomes extremely tricky. It could work if Utah sends out Dante Exum, Jeff Green, Nigel Williams-Goss, Georges Niang, Tony Bradley, AND Stanton Kidd. It would put Utah well under the limit for players which Utah could fix by signing Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright-Foreman to contracts for the rest of the year. This trade canít happen until December 15th and, honestly, who in the world has any idea what Orlando wants with their roster?

Be more worried about them not wanting to trade Exum. Wouldn't give him up or Conley. Who would it take? Why not sign some proven vets instead of guys already on two ways?

Quote:
I canít see a deal like this going down unless Utah were to part with a significant asset like Joe Ingles or Royce OíNeale which may very well be a non-starter for the Jazz currently. But if Ingles continues to struggle, who knows? But Ingles cannot be traded until January 19th due to his extension.

no one wants Ingles, Exum or Davis right now

Quote:
This trade would require sending out quite a bit of talent. Dante Exum, Ed Davis, Georges Niang, Nigel Williams-Goss, and Stanton Kidd. Jazz would have to send a draft pick as well, but OKC gets Exum who they can pair with their other young guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. OKC could then move Ed Davis closer to the trade deadline to a playoff wanting team.

Quit acting like these guys have value. Young guys and enough picks maybe. I'm sure he can be had by someone

Quote:
Death, taxes, and the New York Knicks not having a clue what theyíre doing with their roster, general management, or overall direction of their team. Their big man loaded team is perfect for the taking for teams like Utah who could be looking for an upgrade at the four or backup 5 off the bench. A guy like Bobby Portisówho Utah had significant interest in during free agencyócould allow Utah to have a stretch four off the bench who is a top shelf rebounder. Utah could even grab Taj Gibson as well in a deal if they were to send over Ed Davis, Dante Exum, Georges Niang, Tony Bradley, and Stanton Kidd. Who knows if that would be enough for the Knicks who literally have no direction or leadership in their front office. Getting into a trade with them could be as rudderless as trade negotiations with the Memphis Grizzlies last trade deadline.

Why would they want a non shooter/rim protector in Gibson? I'm guessing with all their bigs Portis could be had too.

Quote:
If Utah just needs a more plug and play stretch big, the rebuilding Charlotte Hornets could prove to be a good trade partner. Marvin Williams has been in Utah beforeóalbeit under a more less regarded regime. Marvin Williams would be a great veteran presence off the bench and would provide a more consistent option than Jeff Green.

Marvin might end up starting though. No thanks!

Quote:
Either one of these could be obtained if Utah were to part with Dante Exum and Jeff Green. But is that the kind of upgrade Utah would want to see for that type of collateral?

you're assuming a lot. Dante sucks and has another year on his contract

Quote:
Last year AI averaged 5.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 3.2 assists in 23 minutes a game. Heís still a strong defensive stopper and would fit Utahís defensive identity. But itís okay to question how much he has left in the tank. He turns 36 in January. Itís very possible the value any team gives up for Iggy will not equal the production they get from Iggy.

no thanks. He's been on the decline for a couple years
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #231
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/11/17/2...e-trade-rumors

Quote:
The other part to being patient with Tony is Ed Davis is scheduled to be reevaluated first week of December. That doesnít guarantee he returns then, but if Utah is confident Davis can return first week of December, it may prove wise to be patient with Tony Bradley and ride this out.

It made sense before Davis got hurt to have another vet center on the roster if for no other reason so Bradley could still play with the Stars instead of sitting on the bench. What is Kidd giving them?

Quote:
Joakim Noah

He makes sense if he's healthy. He was hurt in the off season. Good fit with his passing and D

Quote:
With Ed Davis only a couple weeks out from getting reevaluated on his leg, it would benefit Utah to stay patient with Ed Davis. Utah could even see what Jeff Green could do in minutes at small ball center (though Iím not sure thatís worth the risk). Their main starters are going to have to put in major minutes to keep the bench unit afloat. While backup big is a big concern for the Jazz, Utah Jazz GM Justin Zanik could be biding his time to put the Utah bench into trade season triage and see if he can build a better bench regardless of who the backup big is through trade.

Might want to look at going small against certain lineups

Quote:
Pick up Noah now!
Release Georges Niang

Posted by AdMan59 on Nov 17, 2019 | 7:49 AM

Why Niang and not Kidd? Niang hasn't looked good this year but did last year

Quote:
If itís a win now season, I feel like the FO has to be all in on the win now. Having 1/3rd of the roster be D-list players along with the 5th lowest salary suggests me that money is still more important to the team than winning a championship.

You can say theyíre trade chips all you want, but who wants them? Their salary is too low to make them effective for balancing out contracts without being moved in a mob that no team probably wants to absorb.

Posted by Gobert_the_destroyer on Nov 17, 2019 | 10:37 AM

Of they were all in we wouldn't be talking about this now. Their roster would have looked much different going into the season than having all the rookies that they do. Money is always first in Utah. They want a championship and still think one might fall into their laps.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM   #232
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/11/17/fiv...-seasons-woes/

Quote:
Itís hard to be too dissatisfied with the Utah Jazzís start considering that they sit at 8-4, good for sole possession of fourth place in the West. Given Utahís tendency to start out slow, their challenging schedule and all the new faces they are incorporating, Iím actually pleasantly surprised to see them at a win percentage of .667, because I figured theyíd be closer to around .500 at this point.

no reason to think they'd be a .500 team with their top tier talent

Quote:
So between some big wins and a better start than projected, thereís more to be positive about than dismayed about when it comes to the Utah Jazz. Nevertheless, theyíve certainly shown some glaring issues that, while they may very well get fixed at some point down the road, remain both debilitating and highly frustrating. No one expects the Jazz to be perfect and go undefeated, but it feels like if they cleaned up a few things, they could be at an even better spot than they are currently.

They are usually a better road team under Snyder. They've lost to two bad teams on the road. Got to take care of business

Quote:
In fact, the Jazz bench has consistently been one of the worst producers in the NBA. They rank 29th in points per game at 26.7 and the bench trio of Jeff Green, Tony Bradley and Georges Niang have a combined average plus-minus of minus-9. In other words, when the Jazz starters are out of action, it hasnít been pretty.

Niang is the 10th man and has hardly played but include him!

Quote:
Ingles is converting field goals at a 34.6 percent clip and his three-point shooting has dipped all the way to an abysmal 28.3 percent. The hope was that he could add a shooting and scoring punch off the bench, and that couldnít be further from the truth thus far.

he's not a scorer but keep hoping for his scoring!

Quote:
In terms of efficiency and decision making, he continues to have poor stretches. The 1-of-8 perimeter shooting clip was an example of both. Several of the shots were poorly advised and obviously at that poor rate, Mitchell needed to look for his teammates.

still trying to do to much but I think a lot of that is on Snyder. He acts like Mitchell is their only option

Quote:
That same sentiment goes one hundred percent for Mike Conley. I love and believe in the guy even during his struggles as he adjusts to playing for the Utah Jazz. Nevertheless, this is one of those times where some tough love is necessary. The Utah Jazz badly need Conley to become the player they expected him to be. The excuses have to stop, the adjustment has to take place, the emergence has to occur. Utah simply canít be successful with Conley playing as he has.

He was putting up good numbers for several games before the last one. He is fine
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #233
Xiao Yao You

Christopher Hine: Andrew Wiggins is doubtful for tomorrowís game against Utah, but the Wolves are listing him with an illness, not personal reasons. Okogie questionable. Napier doubtful. Ė via Twitter ChristopherHine
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #234
Xiao Yao You

Might be the best the Stars have ever played. Goss wasn't great. Oni, Brantley, Wright, Collinsworth, Morgan were though
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: