Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Please give me a good reason why Wiggins should stay in school?

Staying in school better prepares you for the NBA.

Learning the in and outs of basketball at the college level would better prepare you to for the NBA.

The longer you stay the more you learn, the more you know, the better prepared you will be.

Not saying you cant learn at the NBA level, because you obviously do, it would just be at an advanced rate.

It would be like doing grade 12 math without taking grade 11 math. It's not impossible, some people may find it easy to do. But you cant argue taking grade 11 math would better prepare you for grade 12 math.

...not the best comparison, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

NBA rookie of the year

Unless you arent going to be a lottery pick and feel 1 extra year will help you became a lottery pick, you should go to the NBA as early as possible.

Age limits will help the NBA and current players.
    Age limits will greatly hurt prospective players looking to join the nba.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Staying in school better prepares you for the NBA.

Learning the in and outs of basketball at the college level would better prepare you to for the NBA.

The longer you stay the more you learn, the more you know, the better prepared you will be.

Not saying you cant learn at the NBA level, because you obviously do, it would just be at an advanced rate.

It would be like doing grade 12 math without taking grade 11 math. It's not impossible, some people may find it easy to do. But you cant argue taking grade 11 math would better prepare you for grade 12 math.

...not the best comparison, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.
    Horrible comparison. The risks are much too high with staying in college. An injury in your second year or something that exposes a weakness (eg. oden's knees) could destroy your draft stock. Guaranteed contracts in the NBA. Learn the game while getting paid.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

It's funny because you can argue both sides, yet there's never a definitive answer.

Oh but Kobe, Kevin Garnett, LeBron, Tmac, Moses Malone never went to college ..

What if Josh Smith, Gerald Green, JR Smith, Darius Miles, Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Livingston etc. went to college ..
    Last edited by GaryRaymond23; 03-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Horrible comparison. The risks are much too high with staying in college. An injury in your second year or something that exposes a weakness (eg. oden's knees) could destroy your draft stock. Guaranteed contracts in the NBA. Learn the game while getting paid.
    what does any of that have to do with the previous posts?

we were discussing on how staying in school benefits a player.

nothing to do with injuries or contracts.

just overall being the most prepared as possible going into a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    What about Damian Lillard? He stayed 4 years, came into the NBA and made a immediate impact
    As did the greatest PF of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRaymond23
    It's funny because you can argue both sides, yet there's never a definitive answer.

What if Josh Smith, Gerald Green, JR Smith, Darius Miles, Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Livingston etc. went to college ..
    how many of those guys had an immediate impact?? 2?

He should stay so he can get drafted by the Knicks next year. They can't pick him this year

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by GaryRaymond23
    I agree with that.

Kobe, Kevin Garnett, LeBron, Tmac, Moses Malone never went to college
    Nothing would have changed if they went to college. Only the chance at getting hurt before signing a contract and proving that they can succeed at the NBA level. And also lower career earnings from starting later.

What if Josh Smith, Gerald Green, JR Smith, Darius Miles, Telfair, Jonathan Bender, Livingston etc. went to college
    why is it that people think that NBA level coach are not able to teach the fundamentals of the game and that college level coaches are better teachers?

Perhaps more likely these guys just lack the ability to learn.

I totally reject that a nba player that wants to get better, cant find the resources and coaching (from assistants, or even former players) to improve. Those that fail to improve are more likely just too lazy to seek out the help and put in the work.

Nothing would have changed if they went to college. Only the chance at getting hurt before signing a contract and proving that they can succeed at the NBA level. And also lower career earnings from starting later.

why is it that people think that NBA level coach are not able to teach the fundamentals of the game and that college level coaches are better teachers?

I totally reject that a nba player that wants to get better, cant find the resources and coaching (from assistants, or even former players) to improve. Those that fail to improve are more likely just too lazy to seek out the help and put in the work.

NBA rookie of the year

what does any of that have to do with the previous posts?
    Simply stating that the financial considerations alone should rule out the choice of staying in school. Unless of course your dad is extremely rich. Other than that get your ass to the nba and sign a contract as soon as the nba allows you to.

how many of those guys had an immediate impact?? 2?
    the point is nba coaching allowed them to learn and improve. What is the argument to learning and improving in college and not getting paid?

we were discussing on how staying in school benefits a player.

nothing to do with injuries or contracts.

just overall being the most prepared as possible going into a situation.
    my point is that in comparison the risks of not joining the nba as soon as possible the benefits are negligible.

Also i disagree that guys cant learn in the nba. Learning while getting paid> learning while not getting paid.

I suppose ignorance is bliss

because they work with kids.....were as NBA coaches are working with veteran adult players......did you start in the top of your field when you entered the work force?

choosing to stay would be a very foolish move. who knows what happens between now and next year