Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So DRose seems like he's back to 100% physically...

Pretty happy about that. However, his skills and general sense for the game really seem deteriorated. I can't imagine those things just went away though, so you'd have to think he can play himself back into form.

How long do you think it'll take for him to get back into the swing of things? Do you think it's reasonable that he'll look like his old self by the playoffs? Or do you think he's at least a full year away?

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: So DRose seems like he's back to 100% physically...

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Pretty happy about that. However, his skills and general sense for the game really seem deteriorated. I can't imagine those things just went away though, so you'd have to think he can play himself back into form.

How long do you think it'll take for him to get back into the swing of things? Do you think it's reasonable that he'll look like his old self by the playoffs? Or do you think he's at least a full year away?
    Playoffs is possible. You never know, by midseason he could be back. Everyone is different. Dont be nervous or disappointed if he has a great month and then a poor one. It's tough. He just needs time and I think he'll be back and as good as he was before.

Banned

Doubt it.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

I'm gonna say he's gonna be back to MVP form next season given no injuries.

He looks pretty awful out there in terms of making buckets. Good to see that his athleticism is returned though.

He just needs to shake off the rust, it'll take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    I'm gonna say he's gonna be back to MVP form next season given no injuries.
    Next as in 14-15, or 15-16?

He's so incredibly rusty it will take time. But that is why he is playing with team USA.

Limited minutes, limited role. I still think Rose can and will come up big in one of the tourney games against a team that will keep it close.

Derrick's play so far reminds me of how he plays in all-star games

I think he will be ok come All-Star break. Of course he will get an undeserving all-star start before that due to the hype and Chicago sports fans in general. After the all star break (assuming he stays relatively healthy) is when we will have to start taking him seriously. I am not going to throw away another season of criticizing him just because he hasn't played in a while.

Dunking on everybody in the park

So far Rose is shooting under 24% from the field through their first five games. His overall athleticism, speed and quickness, doesn't look far off from prime Derrick Rose.

But he is just struggling to finishing around the basket and making his jumpshot either. It's a small sample size, but he is clearly not his usual self.

I assume that he'll work himself back given time.

2-3 months of regular season will be enough to see if he can still control the tempo of the game or if that part needs to be developed all over again.

It's like RGIII last season in the NFL. The confidence is not there yet, it's FIBA and it's early September, so he's obviously not going 100% and is trying to be cautious about how he plays the game, him thinking too much and not being reckless is what's working against his game right now.

Like in RGIII's case, what made him great was his ability to go outside the pocket and scramble, he was never a great pocket passer. But he isn't great at sliding and he takes too many unnecessary risks when he opts to gain yards on the ground, leading to stupid shit like this (2014 pre-season against the Browns)

We saw a similar situation with Rose during Team USA camp, where he landed very awkwardly on his leg after a dunk and flew out of bounds...

In Rose's case, what made him great was his ability to go inside and finish off with some unbeliveable moves while at a very high speed, though he did not injure his knees landing after some crazy layup attempt or nothing, he's still worried about his landing. And because he's a relatively poor jump-shooter by technique (off-balance on too many of his jumpers), it limits his production.

Dunking on everybody in the park

dude hasn't played in two years!! two years man....

As I said in another DRose thread...

He'll be more than alright in the NBA b/c of spacing, protection of perimeter players and superstar calls. Given this his jumpshot will heal.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Bulls will amnesty him and he will go to the Euroleague

about another month. it usually takes me that long to get in peak basketball shape once i start playing. hell get back to his old self, the biggest problem is avoiding injury.