Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Hypothetical: Duncan wins FMVP

if kobe won a title next year as the 3rd option on the spurs. how much higher would he move all time

would he leap frog into 2nd all time? maybe 1st as some are saying in this thread for duncan

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    and its duncans own fault for blowing that 2013 finals

sure it took a miracle three by ray allen

but it also took a missed point blank layup by tim duncan
    You Kobe stans would fault a 38 year old Duncan for a 30 pt / 17 reb game. Maybe that 38 year old body was TIRED after playing 44:28.
    Last edited by rmt; 04-01-2015 at 04:39 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

if kobe won a title next year as the 3rd option on the spurs. how much higher would he move all time

would he leap frog into 2nd all time? maybe 1st as some are saying in this thread for duncan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3CxF6uztlI ;) Be you homeboy. I don't respect your opinion, but I always found it amusing and was upset when you got banned. Be you, bitch.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JebronLames
    GOAT since he plays in a tougher era than jordan.

6>6#

#= weak era
    WEAK & SOFT ERA = LEBRON'S ERA

Kobe moving up 10 places because of one ring after taking 2 years off and contributing nothing more than 30 points on 30 shots? Nah.

Duncan moving up one spot because of a ring at 38, after going to three consecutive finals and still putting up elite defense and making the offence flow? Yes.
    Last edited by Nowitness; 04-01-2015 at 06:51 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Eye test > accolades

Wherever you have Duncan, whether it's top 5 or top 20, shouldnt change based on a handful of games and an award the lazy media votes on at the end of his career. We already know who he is as a player.

If you cant compare that to other guys and make your own decision, you shoukd watch closer.
    I kind of agree, but Duncan playing great this late in his career (especially on defense)...matters.

If he were to have a great playoff run and win finals MVP this year...that absolutely should matter for how we view him as a basketball player.

Every single thing a player does on the court matters...obviously some stuff matters more than others.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    That would give him 6 titles, 4 FMVP, and 2 MVP's. Shouldn't that make him #3 all time behind Kareem & Jordan?
    Yes, I think that would cement it for him no doubt. Honestly I think he has the case for #3 even without it, but with another FMVP for sure, and with just another title as a primary contributer (top 3 player on the team), he should have it.

Manu Ginobili made a quote some years back saying "I know I'm going to be playing for a championship every year until my retirement probably, as long as I'm playing next to Tim Duncan."

That quote just says so much about Tim Duncan's all around impact on the game, and how much he still means to this team. The Spurs are Tim Duncan. His value to this team can't be denied. Damn right winning would boost his legacy even further.

Saying this, Top 3 all time is a bit of a stretch

Local High School Star

good for duncan. hes a great role player in his old age. but i fail to see how that title would boost his legacy

glen rice had a nice little 3rd man 15ppg ring back in the day with kobe and shaq...

do we even acknowledge it? not many people i know outside of the rice family

Role player?????

Duncan made 1st team all NBA that year, and was STILL the anchor of that defense. Many thought he was DPOY. Averaged 17/10/2.5/2 in the regular season, and 18/10 in the playoffs, putting up a 19/12 in the finals. He was 5 seconds away from being the run-away finals MVP (25 points in the first half of game 6). How the hell is that a role player?

Moreover....if hes a role player, who the hell on that Spurs team isn't, if you're crapping on the numbers he put up? Cripes, you dont think 17/10/3/2 blocks on 50% shooting is impressive yet you talk up his supporting cast ("legendary manu, top 50 parker") when they sure as sh!t were not posting better stats than that in their last 2-3 seasons, or from 1999-2007.

Stop talking crap, they're very close historically, Kobe is an ATG but isn't better than Duncan by some wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by PejaTheSerbSnip
    Role player?????

Duncan made 1st team all NBA that year, and was STILL the anchor of that defense. Many thought he was DPOY. Averaged 17/10/2.5/2 in the regular season, and 18/10 in the playoffs, putting up a 19/12 in the finals. He was 5 seconds away from being the run-away finals MVP (25 points in the first half of game 6). How the hell is that a role player?

Moreover....if hes a role player, who the hell on that Spurs team isn't, if you're crapping on the numbers he put up? Cripes, you dont think 17/10/3/2 blocks on 50% shooting is impressive yet you talk up his supporting cast ("legendary manu, top 50 parker") when they sure as sh!t were not posting better stats than that in their last 2-3 seasons, or from 1999-2007.

Stop talking crap, they're very close historically, Kobe is an ATG but isn't better than Duncan by some wide margin.
    Why do you bother even arguing with this dude? The guy thinks Kobe > Jordan,Kareem,Wilt,Magic..

He's messed up in the head

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    You Kobe stans would fault a 38 year old Duncan for a 30 pt / 17 reb game. Maybe that 38 year old body was TIRED after playing 44:28.
    And goddamn, Kobe is one of my favourite players of the 2000s but if duncan blew the 2013 finals by averaging 19/12 on 56 TS% and elite defense, then what did Kobe do in the 2004 and 2008 finals? He shot a combined 47.5 TS% in those two series. Barely had more points than shots.

NBA Superstar

If the Spurs won and he was awarded the MVP I'd probably move him up to 5. I have him at 7 now.

A guy this old anchoring a championship team is very impressive.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    Why do you bother even arguing with this dude? The guy thinks Kobe > Jordan,Kareem,Wilt,Magic..
    He's messed up in the head
    Who knows.... At the very least he seems to BELIEVE what hes saying, as silly as it is.

Local High School Star

should have won it. ginobili meltdown took it away. top five atleast. kobe and shaq could be ranked higher. jordan kobe shaq duncan. didn't watch Russell or wilt. couldn't say.