Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Official Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    DLH was the A side of their fight and after that Tyson and maybe Oscar himself have him beat on average.
    There has never been a four-fight run like the one Floyd is currently on. In fact, no fighter in history has ever had this kind of run of consecutive PPV bouts with over a million purchases.

Regardless of what people say about Pacquiao being more fun to watch and Floyd being 'boring,' when it comes to throw down money for a fight, the American public has shown that it will shell out the $55-$65 in huge numbers to see Floyd.

You can say that DLH and Tyson were bigger draws, but the numbers don't support it. Neither of those guys ever had a string of PPV draws like the one Floyd is currently on. In fact, they never had even close to this. Take a look at the numbers. It is pretty astounding.

Both Manny and Roach have said many times on camera and print (including just last week) that they agreed to any test any time, whatever Floyd wanted. I can dig them up if you're not willing to search.
    Oh... Have they 'said' that they will agree to any terms? I'm sure they probably did. I was talking about an actual agreement during negotiations, which is all that counts.

It doesnt matter whatever camps says what, Manny agree's to fight Mayweather, plus as people have said countless times why request soemthing that isnt even required, it so friggin obvious he's afraid to tarnish his clean record, if he was so confident in his skills he wouldnt be afraid to put out. Plus on paper it really is Floyd who is more skilled "The real Boxer" per se so why chicken out on a fight that will earn yung at least 40mil

Stay Strong Droth

Both dudes are at the top of the game, dominating their weight classes for years, and similar size. A fight like this with these types of fighters comes what, once in every 20-25 years? Both guys extremely popular and people are chomping at the bit to see this showdown.

At first, I was thinking all these "negotiations" and then the deals falling through was just a ploy to get more money for both fighters. But now its been so long that I am scared it is more than that.

Maybe Floyd wants to remain undefeated? Because he is the one dragging out this potential fight. Maybe Pac is doping? I agree that he should not have to submit to these tests if they are not required by boxing. Fernando Vargas got caught doping when he fought De La Hoya?

Margarito did exactly what Clottey did with he fought Pacman, waited and waited and waited. I was screaming at Clottey to let his hands go, but after seeing Margarito, who is known for throwing all day, I began to think, maybe it's the speed of Pac? Because its either that, or Margarito was scared to get hit flush while extended. And Margarito aint afraid to get hit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    There has never been a four-fight run like the one Floyd is currently on. In fact, no fighter in history has ever had this kind of run of consecutive PPV bouts with over a million purchases.

Regardless of what people say about Pacquiao being more fun to watch and Floyd being 'boring,' when it comes to throw down money for a fight, the American public has shown that it will shell out the $55-$65 in huge numbers to see Floyd.

You can say that DLH and Tyson were bigger draws, but the numbers don't support it. Neither of those guys ever had a string of PPV draws like the one Floyd is currently on. In fact, they never had even close to this. Take a look at the numbers. It is pretty astounding.
    Yeah... no.

Mike Tyson PPV Numbers
    Evander Holyfield 2: 1.99 million
    Lennox Lewis: 1.8 million
    Evander Holyfield 1: 1.59 million
    Peter McNeely: 1.55 million
    Frank Bruno 2: 1.37 million
    Razor Ruddock 2: 1.25 million
    Bruce Selden: 1.01 million
    Razor Ruddock 1: 959,000

And this was all before 24/7, the internet, etc. Just look at some of the names on that list. Razor Ruddock... Peter McNeely? Not even close.

Oh... Have they 'said' that they will agree to any terms? I'm sure they probably did. I was talking about an actual agreement during negotiations, which is all that counts.
    Drug Testing No Longer an Issue

"I agreed to take a test anytime, any day"
    http://www.pacquiaovideo.com/2010/09...ork-press.html

Pacquiao USA Today, Starting at 1:50

Freddie Roach on the subject (at 4 min)

From an ISH favorite, last week:

JENNA: Freddie I have just a couple of more questions before I let you off the line. You mentioned Mayweather a couple of times on this show, and I know you have Margarito as the main priority on your radar, but when you look at Manny do you think he at all needs a win over Floyd Mayweather before he retires?

ROACH: No, you know with Floyd, the first time negotiations went sour because the blood testing and so forth. The second time around we agreed to everything. We gave him every opportunity to fight us. We agreed to everything he asked. You know what, Manny Pacquiao

Quote Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
    It doesnt matter whatever camps says what,
    You're right... It doesn't matter... Because each camp is out to make their guy look good. I've said from the beginning of this thing that it was all about egos and power-plays and nothing to do with anyone being 'scared' or cheating. Both of these guys have massive egos (as do the people running things for them) and that has hindered negotiations more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
    plus as people have said countless times why request soemthing that isnt even required,
    Why did Manny's camp insist (and Mayweather agree to) giving up $10 million for each pound that PBF was over the limit? That kind of absurd rule isn't in the book, nor has any penalty like that ever been established in any fight in the history of boxing.

There is a lot more to negotiations than what you are implying. It isn't like the guys just sign on the dotted line and that is that. Hell... Pacquiao has been one of the toughest hombres in the sport when it comes to negotiating a fight.

I just think that Floyd was of the mind that he didn't want to get bullied at the negotiating table and he probably also felt that the penalty for being over was a not-so-subtle slap at his win over Marquez, so he thought he would return the favor and insult Pacquiao with the random drug test thing. When Pac was so stern about not taking a test up to three weeks before a fight, it began stoking the fire and things got out of control after that.

It should be noted that Shane agreed to Floyd's terms without thinking twice and guys like Cotto and Malinaggi have gone public with their astonishment of Manny's refusal to agree to random tests.

The rest of the boxing world doesn't seem to think that this was an outlandish proposition, especially when factoring in the money that was on the table.

Stay Strong Droth

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Floyd being boring? People who say that want to go watch those weak ass heavyweights nowadays. You are right, Floyd is a great draw. He fought Shane Mosley after he came back from the dead and still killed it in terms of PPV viewings.

Floyd to me is more of a counter-puncher. He waits til a mistake and them jumps on it in an instant. That is boxing. The goal is to avoid getting hit. I love watching him work.

Pac is more of a fighter. You saw it in the Margarito fight. He was winning all rounds, later in the fight if Margarito got a rally, Pac came right back even if he was winning the round. He is the throwback type figher, bruiser type dude. So fast I can't keep up with the flurries.

Yeah... no.

Mike Tyson PPV Numbers
    Evander Holyfield 2: 1.99 million
    Lennox Lewis: 1.8 million
    Evander Holyfield 1: 1.59 million
    Peter McNeely: 1.55 million
    Frank Bruno 2: 1.37 million
    Razor Ruddock 2: 1.25 million
    Bruce Selden: 1.01 million
    Razor Ruddock 1: 959,000

And this was all before 24/7, the internet, etc. Just look at some of the names on that list. Razor Ruddock... Peter McNeely? Not even close.
    Those weren't consecutive... And McNeely was an event because it was his first fight out of prison. It isn't like he just happened to fight McNeely in the middle of a great PPV run. I made it a point to say CONSECUTIVE PPV results.... an important asterisk.

After McNeely, he fought Buster Mathis Jr. and there were plenty of fights in between Lewis-Tyson and Holyfield-Tyson.

I guess you could do Bruno into Seldon into Holyfield I into Holyfield II. But, it is arguable if that four-fight run is as good as Mayweather's current one.

PBF-DLH - 2.4 million
    PBF-Hatton - 1.5+ million
    PBF-JMM - 1+ million
    PBF-Mosley - 1.4 million

Total - 6.2+ million buys

Tyson's four-fight run came out to 5.96 million buys. We can sit here and argue about what advantages fighters today have with promotional tools on television and Internet, but the fact remains that no fighter in history has had THIS lucrative of a four-fight run. That is just a fact.

That was all I said. You did find a run that surpassed a million in four straight fights and good work on that. However, unless you can find a run that is >6.2 million, the point stands. I don't believe there is one.

Banned

Mayweather-Hatton did 920K, where are you getting 1.5 million from?

It's simple.

I wish this fight could happen. But Floyd is being a little b!tch.

Thread/

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

God I want this fight to happen soooo bad. Too bad Mayweather is a coward.

Mayweather-Hatton did 920K, where are you getting 1.5 million from?
    The stateside buyrate was 850k. There was also a UK PPV set up by HBO as well, though. The figure that I read was a little over 1.5 million, all told. I'm having a difficult time locating that, though, so I guess I will just lower it to a million just to be on the safe side.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=11766

I think I heard the 1.5+ million number on maxboxing... Can't locate it.

Even then, you are talking about 5.8 million buys in four fights. That is still something that has only been matched by Mike Tyson in his post-prison comeback.

Regardless of whether the number is 5.8 million or 6.3 million or whatever, it doesn't detract from my original point.... Mayweather has been a ridiculous success in terms of PPV sales. He is certainly the most lucrative current fighter in terms of generating interest and bringing in PPV sales. The numbers tell you that. It isn't like Pacquiao is miles away, but there is a difference and it has been clear in the last handful of fights.

We will see what the Pac-Margs bout brings back, but for someone to say that Pacquiao should get 60% of the purse (which is what started all of this) is beyond ludicrous... I'm sure you would agree.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 11-15-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Kobe > Lebron....wait..wrong thread?

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    God I want this fight to happen soooo bad. Too bad Mayweather is a coward.
    Everyone does except the mayweather camp...

Pacquiao's destruction of margarito was so brutal i don't think floyd is clammoring to get in the ring with him..
    TBH i doubt this fight ever takes place...
    Last edited by gts; 11-15-2010 at 11:54 PM.

shhhhhhh

for what it's worth
    [QUOTE]HOLLYWOOD

De La Hoya pretty much made Mayweather, in terms of popularity and PPV buys. Before that, Floyd was nothing when it came to PPV buys. Floyd played the sh*t talker card very well though. After that, people have been tuning in to watch Floyd lose that "0" on his record.

Regardless, a May/Pac fight would do better numbers than either could ever hope for by fighting someone else.