Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Most Overrated player of: All time, This Decade, and Last Season.

Most Overrated of All-Time: David Robinson, He was a good C but he has received way too much credit from people who refuse to acknowledge he didn't win anything until the Spurs got arguably the greatest PF in NBA History, Tim Duncan. As a #1 option, he shot well below his season average in FG% in every Postseason that lasted more than 1 series. Instantly the arrival of Tim Duncan turned him into a #2 sometimes #3 option. This happened while he was the Spurs' Franchise player up until that point for a decade and considered a future HOFer.

Most Overrated This Decade: Dwight Howard, I've disagreed with people's praise of him when he has yet to assert himself as a dominant big man. Dwight isn't consistent enough with his production, and he should be at least somewhat near Shaq's production at the same age with his raw physical ability and talent.

Most Overrated Last Season: Darren Collison, people thinking they should trade Chris Paul.

All-time: Pistol Pete/Hakeem

This Decade: Chauncey Billups/Steve Nash

Decent playground baller

I'm going to say it....... Michael Jordan

He's not overrated in the sense that he's the GOAT. He's overrated in the sense they way people speak of him he single-handily won championships and if someone else on the team did anything it was his will that allowed them to do it (kerr game winner, Paxson game winner) of the Bulls lost it was someone else's fault or completely forgotten ( Orlando loss most people don't even mention he played simply saying he sat out 2 years) but that is purely media driven and people having selective memories. Not anything he did.

I think as basketball player he's under rated by the most people under 30 they think he was all dunk when he had a great post-up and mid-range game.

Banned

Last year-
    Pau Gasol. How people can say he is the best PF in the league, I don't understand. Hes one of the worst one on one post defending big men, and hes still extremely soft. He gets pushed around all the time.
    Decade-
    Dirk- Sort of like Pau. I wouldn't call him soft at all, but he's not what you'd call a complete player. He was never the best at his position, yet he won MVP, and got lots of consideration for best player in the league for a couple years. Hes actually a bit under rated now, but before the Golden State upset the average person's view on him was just insane to me.
    All time- I don't really know. James Worthy seems to get a lot of attention that he really doesn't deserve compared to other players. All this stuff is just opinion really, and very different from person to person so its hard to say on any of it.

Banned

Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, and Dwight Howard were the first ones to come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
    Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, and Dwight Howard were the first ones to come to mind.

You so mad.

Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

Pistol Pete is a great choice for all-time overrated. Turnover machine (without making a proportionate number of plays), TOTAL lack of defense, TOTAL lack of team success, and honestly not that great shooting by the numbers (not bad, just not as good as advertised).

This decade...probably Iverson. You can almost replicate the above post about Pistol Pete, except Iverson had a small amount of team success, small amounts of defense. He was a worse shooter however. How he gets trumped up as an all-time great player is beyond me (not really, I know why actually).

This past season...probably Arenas (I'll count him).

FCN
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Was Pistol really that bad at defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jr Llaban
    Kobe is more like an over achiever, not an over rated player.

Odom is really over rated, not because he's terrible, but because he shows glimpses of greatness sometimes, but then plays horribly soon after that. Still one of my favorite players.
    Oh god I forgot about Odom. People always say he's that good but he really isn't. If he was that good he would be playing good every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush4Ever
    Pistol Pete is a great choice for all-time overrated. Turnover machine (without making a proportionate number of plays), TOTAL lack of defense, TOTAL lack of team success, and honestly not that great shooting by the numbers (not bad, just not as good as advertised).

This decade...probably Iverson. You can almost replicate the above post about Pistol Pete, except Iverson had a small amount of team success, small amounts of defense. He was a worse shooter however. How he gets trumped up as an all-time great player is beyond me (not really, I know why actually).

This past season...probably Arenas (I'll count him).
    Dude played like 20 games coming off two surgeries ... I don't see it.

Banned

oh yeah and I can't believe I forgot about the Second Round Virgin, Tracy McGrady.

Oh and add Vince Carter. He clearly made the Magic worse.

Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FCN
    Was Pistol really that bad at defense?
    If I was on another computer I could give you some quotes from players and coaches that would indicate that was easily the case.

Granted, we have to take it on authority if we didn't see him play a ton of games, but it DOES seem to fit into the mold of what we do know, which is that Pistol Pete cared about entertainment a lot more than he should have, relative to winning.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Dude played like 20 games coming off two surgeries ... I don't see it.
    Not to mention he was lighting people up in those 20 games...

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by FCN
    Kobe is not overrated. Well maybe he is by the people who try to put him in the top 5 all-time, but even I as a Kobe-Hater acknowledge the reality that is his greatness.

I still don't think he is quite top ten all-time, but he's damn close.

As much as I hate him, His late game heroics and buzzer beating game winners never fail to amaze me. I root for him to miss, but he never does when it matters the most.

Overrated he is not, and as I said, this is coming from a Kobe hater. =)
    This is what I mean when I say these players are over rated Kobe missed 2 buzzer beaters in this playoffs alone. He's not over rated in his place in history or being # 1 or 2 currently playing but statements like this is how players get overrated. It's like the whole storyline of his will won't let them lose and they didn't but it wasn't because of his will. The same thing goes for every great player ever their wills or whatever you want to call it didn't make their teammates to hit shots or make plays. For example Kobe plays phenomenally in Game 5 but they lose and he is blamed by virtually everyone and he plays bad in game 7 and everyone gives him the praise its ridiculous.

P.S. this is not to bash KOBE, I just used him as example since they are the most recent champs.

LOL @ someone who can play all five positions on the court being overrated. He's inconsistent, but that is it.