Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

Default Do benchwarmers actually feel proud to win a ring?

Not to look down on anyone, but I always wonder when watching NBA Finals celebrations where every player is celebrating, even players who never play or are injured: do they feel a little undeserving or embarrassed?
    Do they yell, "Look at my ring!"? Obviously they are happy to be part of their team, and they are glad their team won, just as their fans are, but do they really feel proud to say they are an NBA champion when they didn't do anything?
    I wouldn't even want the ring if I didn't at least make a decent contribution.

Default Re: Do benchwarmers actually feel proud to win a ring?

As with any opinion, it depends on the person.

Im sure some of these guys practice hard even though they dont play. They of course would take some solace in a ring.

others just want a pay check. A ring is just more cash.

imagine getting front row seats to 82 games, i'd imagine you become a pretty die hard fan after about game 63. must be very fulfilling to see your favorite team win.

Decent playground baller ScarSymmetry's Avatar

It takes more than 5 guys to win a championship.

Yeah I think Klay Thompson should be happy to be a part of such a historically talented team

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by ScarSymmetry
    It takes more than 5 guys to win a championship.
    hes talking about the third stringers that never see the floor.

(perkins)

you know damn well perkins would be on twitter gloating if the cavs won.

like someone said, it depends on the person. but overall i think most guys are just happy to be apart of an nba championship team and all that comes with it, period.

Decent playground baller ScarSymmetry's Avatar

They're pretty much there as staff. Someone for the players to practice against in training.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Scalbarine did

Banned

Just because a player didn't contribute in game play doesn't mean they didn't contribute to the team. Practice, film study, X's and O's, etc...all of these things count for them.

It's easy for you and me to deny that because we only see what they contribute to on TV.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Just because a player didn't contribute in game play doesn't mean they didn't contribute to the team. Practice, film study, X's and O's, etc...all of these things count for them.

It's easy for you and me to deny that because we only see what they contribute to on TV.
    yeah, of course. they made the 15 man roster, the best roster on the planet. so when their team wins, of course theyre gonna be in a celebratory mood.

mazel tov, you virgin geeks!

talking to you; bdreason, airfederer, brandonislegend, heavincent. the "third string bench" of warriors fans.

warriorsfan is the make a wish kid.

Probably. They also get to be a part of the celebrations and become very popular with their home cities.

National High School Star

Is this a real question?

Winning a championship at any level as part of a team feels amazing. It is the reason it is called team sports. You feel a certain bond with these people. Even at the high school level we went on road trips, tournaments, etc and you have that feeling of the sum is greater than the parts.

That's like saying if your kid does well in school do you feel proud as a parent? It's silly.

Most of these guys have put fifteen to twenty years of their lives into basketball. They have all likely been the man and won at some level. To win at that level is the ultimate glory, regardless of your stats. You went to the same practices, did the same stuff, became a part of that culture as much etc.

Not. saying fans etc won't view each players worth differently, but within the team there is no distinction about you were a third stringer, 7th man, etc. Klay's face said it all. You put in years of work and getting that chip feels way better than any individual game, or even series, performance.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Is this a real question?

Winning a championship at any level as part of a team feels amazing. It is the reason it is called team sports. You feel a certain bond with these people. Even at the high school level we went on road trips, tournaments, etc and you have that feeling of the sum is greater than the parts.

That's like saying if your kid does well in school do you feel proud as a parent? It's silly.

Most of these guys have put fifteen to twenty years of their lives into basketball. They have all likely been the man and won at some level. To win at that level is the ultimate glory, regardless of your stats. You went to the same practices, did the same stuff, became a part of that culture as much etc.

Not. saying fans etc won't view each players worth differently, but within the team there is no distinction about you were a third stringer, 7th man, etc. Klay's face said it all. You put in years of work and getting that chip feels way better than any individual game, or even series, performance.
    Precisely. The guys on the court are a huge part of the equation, but they're not the only part. There's so much more that goes on when it comes to creating a champion and the guys at the end of the bench often play a significant role, whether that be in practice, as chemistry builders, or doing anything else possible to make the dream work. One way or another, they're a big part of it.

The guys who don't get a lot of burn have to work just as hard as the guys who do to be on the team because you never know what's going to happen one game to the next in this league and its your job to be ready if and when your name is called.

So yes, they should damn well feel proud.