Default What is up with Lance?

I know the Hornets can't get their shit together and their roster doesn't fit, but what's the deal with Lance?

I know his shooting efficiency is awful so far, but what is going on here?

Thanks for the breakdown, Hornets fans.

Default Re: What is up with Lance?

He's not playing with all-stars anymore. He went from being the 3rd/4th best player on the team to the No.1 option.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

He's really not as good as advertised. Maybe he's still adjusting, maybe there's something else going on, but he's just not at the level to step in right away and dominate as a primary or even secondary creator from the backcourt, unless there's an elite perimeter option to take a ton of the pressure off like Paul George. And it's safe to say Kemba is nowhere near Paul George. Also, the Hornets have found a way to put out some of the worst shooting lineups in basketball, which doesn't really play into Lance's game whatsoever.

Also I'm not gonna pretend I know what's going on..but aren't there reports coming out that he's been overly cocky with his role since joining, less than entirely focused, and not too fond of Clifford as a coach? All of it sounds plausible, and there has to be some truth to it all. Especially with Clifford's comments, a coach doesn't just casually say that shit unless the player is pulling some obnoxious stuff in practices, the locker room, whatever.

I guess it's a combination of attitude, poor team construction, and just flat out underwhelming play by Lance.

I do think MKG's absence has hurt them quite a bit as well..he was statistically one of their biggest impact defenders, and with Lance not playing up to normal standards defensively, they're not doing too hot on that end of the floor.

-can't shoot
    -steals rebounds from his teammates - not sure if his a likeable teammate and helps the team chemistry
    -hogs the ball too much or tries unnecessary fancy plays too much
    -can't drive to the basket as effecively, due to shit spacing of his team.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Zack Lowe had a pretty good article about this last week. I'm not even sure it's that he's not ready to be a number 2 creator, so much as he needs to be a number 1A creator.

We all know his jumper is sketchy at best. But he works well with the ball, as a pick and roll creator. But with Kemba getting the majority of those calls, it leaves Lance as a weakside spot up guy way more frequently than it did in Indy, which he's just not suited for. And Kemba's not really designed to play that role either. In Indy he had George Hill who could play off the ball, and really was best playing off the ball. And Paul George who was a really good catch and shoot option. There's no one to catch and shoot Lance's penetrate and kicks, and he doesn't get as many with Kemba taking more than PG did. And on top of that, I'm sure the Hornets are giving more post touches to Al than the Pacers gave to Hibbert. Lance is a high usage player who loses a lot of value if he's not being used the way he excels in. And with the roster they have he just doesn't get used that way.

Guys like Lance have always made sense as 6th men to me. Bench offensive focul points. He is a good enough passer that he at least has a chance to fit in on other types of units. He can and will defend. And he can take pressure off ballhandlers, but right now it's just not working.

College star

The Larry Bird curse has struck him.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    He's really not as good as advertised. Maybe he's still adjusting, maybe there's something else going on, but he's just not at the level to step in right away and dominate as a primary or even secondary creator from the backcourt, unless there's an elite perimeter option to take a ton of the pressure off like Paul George. And it's safe to say Kemba is nowhere near Paul George. Also, the Hornets have found a way to put out some of the worst shooting lineups in basketball, which doesn't really play into Lance's game whatsoever.

Also I'm not gonna pretend I know what's going on..but aren't there reports coming out that he's been overly cocky with his role since joining, less than entirely focused, and not too fond of Clifford as a coach? All of it sounds plausible, and there has to be some truth to it all. Especially with Clifford's comments, a coach doesn't just casually say that shit unless the player is pulling some obnoxious stuff in practices, the locker room, whatever.

I guess it's a combination of attitude, poor team construction, and just flat out underwhelming play by Lance.

I do think MKG's absence has hurt them quite a bit as well..he was statistically one of their biggest impact defenders, and with Lance not playing up to normal standards defensively, they're not doing too hot on that end of the floor.
    Well put.

Yeah dude is trash and he is a total cancer. He looks out of shape too.