Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Healthy/Peak Bill Walton vs Peak Hakeem Olajuwon

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
    Walton was around the same height as Kareem, he never wanted to be listed as a 7-footer.
    a few opponents thought Walton was at least 7'2", and these are big guys who themselves are 6'11" and up, and Walton towered over them.

NBA rookie of the year

Walton wasn't that much taller than Bird. Not four whole inches taller, in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Shaq even said he didn't outplay Hakeem.
    Outplay does not equal "shut down."

NBA rookie of the year

I have to go with Hakeem, too dominant as a scorer and Hakeem in his prime was the DPOY, he was a better defensive player and a better scorer. Though it should be said that Walton was a better rebounder and passer.

Regarding the passing, I honestly believe Hakeem could have averaged more assists if he played with better scorers, he had to carry the load offensively, something Walton didn't have to do. Rebounding as well, obviously this one goes to Walton as well but no one should forget that like in 1995, that Hakeem averaged 15 points more per game in the playoffs compared to the year Walton won and was at his peak and having to carry the team like that on the offensive end also takes away other parts from your game.

So, bottom line, I have Hakeem's peak as a greater one but not by that much.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    He averaged 29.3 PPG/11.4 RPG/2.7 APG/2.4 BPG and shot 58.3%. Shaq was held at his scoring average or below in 3 of the 4 games. He was held at 12 boards or below in 3 of the 4 games. He also shot 59% or lower in 2 games and matched his average field goal attempts per game only once. So yes, he did contain him. Aside from assists, Shaq did not go above and beyond what he did in the regular season.
    what the hell kind of stat is show 59% or below? is that the standard for "contain" these days?

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Walton was 7`1 and Kareem was 7`2 3/4 or 1/2

Real Heights

Hakeem was a Better Total Player but Walton was a Better Rebounder and Passer
    Last edited by Round Mound; 09-23-2011 at 05:16 PM.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Bill Walton was the best team player center ever. I love the dream but I just can't see him winning with Dave twardzick, Bobby Gross and Johnny Davis as three of the starters.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by colts19
    Bill Walton was the best team player center ever. I love the dream but I just can't see him winning with Dave twardzick, Bobby Gross and Johnny Davis as three of the starters.
    You do realize that Hakeem won in 1994 without any all-stars at all, don't you? Hakeem won with a startling line up of Kenny Smith, Maxwell, Horry, Thorpe and himself.

To start with, Walton had Maurice Lucas the year he won, who averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds that season and he was an all-star that year. That team also had Lionel Hollins who the year after was voted on the all-star team and who averaged 17 points per game in the playoffs that season. And based on what I've read about that Portland team I've got the impression that both Twardzick and Gross were intelligent players who shot with high FG%.

In the playoffs Hakeem led a team who had Maxwell as the 2nd best scorer, the guy averaged 13.8 points per game in playoffs in 1994 on 37% shooting.

I'd say that Walton had a more stacked team than what Hakeem had.. As a comparison, that Portland team had 3 guys beside Walton who averaged more than 14 points per game in the playoffs. Maxwell was Houston's 2nd best scorer and he averaged 13.8 point per game in the playoffs in 1994 and he did with worse FG% than what Walton's 3 teammates did..

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    How is 28.0 pts/12.5 reb/6.3 ast/59.4% FG being "contained"? They were better than Shaq's regular season numbers that year.

1994-95: 29.4 PPG/11.4 RPG/2.7 APG/58.3% FG

Aside from assists, his numbers were right on par with his regular season statline. He didn't go above and beyond like Hakeem did.