Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #31
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Is this excessive fines for Drinking and Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
This probably includes lawyer fees. Which most people I guess pay for because they think they need to, but for a simple DUI with no injuries it's completely unnecessary to hire a lawyer. You're gonna get a fine, license suspension, and classes regardless. Lawyer really doesn't really change the outcome. People just get scared of going through the court system and pay up.

That said, it's such a tricky issue. I agree completely we can't tolerate drunk driving. I've gotten a DUI myself which luckily didn't result in any harm to anyone, but I understand how many people's lives are ruined by accidents every year.

The problem I guess is that it's such a temptation for the 'ordinary person' who is not otherwise a criminal and does not have any intention of harming anyone. Normal people get DUI's all the time. Crippling penalties will undoubtedly work as a deterrent to some degree, but you'll also end up with an inordinate amount of people being severely punished for a single ignorant mistake.

Just don't know what the answer is.

There's where I have an issue with myself. Who are we condemning? There is a lot of assumptions being made too. There's also the level of blood alcohol and tolerance. I think people are lumping 4 drinks to black out plastered. There is gray but people have made this black and white
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #32
Skip_Bayless
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

It is black and white. You either blow over the legal limit or you donít.
Skip_Bayless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #33
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Don't have a problem with you calling me or anyone a dipshit. I'm just pointing out that fact you turned your post from something of a good talking point and edited it to be a combative cVnt. That's the premise of me calling you an asshole. I don;t have a problem with your statement at all

There is nothing combative about my first post. I edited it to include an accurate description of your "friend", the rest of my post remained unchanged. You are obviously just triggered by my post because you are still salty about the times I have clowned on you in the past.

Quote:
Agreed. You're still an asshole. Want to go in circles again?

like I said, you manage to change quality threads into a personal toxic spew of BS. Case in point. But here goes Nanners trying to be the wannabe badass. You're too stupid to realize that I'm agreeing with you. You're just an asshole and not acknowledging you in this thread anymore.

My first 4 posts in this thread were all specifically about the OP topic, and the only reason that changed is because you are trying to derail the conversation by making repeated personal attacks against me.

If you agree with me then why do you keep giving me shit? And obviously we dont agree on everything because I think your friend got off incredibly easy while you obviously think he was punished excessively.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #34
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Bayless
It is black and white. You either blow over the legal limit or you don’t.

Vancouver now the rule is 0 tolerance. Which means they are withing their rights to penalize you over 1 drink.

This is now extended to weed which is now legal in Canada.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #35
Skip_Bayless

Quote:
Vancouver now the rule is 0 tolerance. Which means they are withing their rights to penalize you over 1 drink.

This is now extended to weed which is now legal in Canada.

Did not know this. The fact that the law is different from the US adds more complexity to the matter. You are either impaired or you are not. 1 drink may or may not impair an individual. Canadians should question this law. As written, it is not correct.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #36
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Back in those days drinking and driving were VERY commonplace. This was back in 2011. Before that time it was a slap on the wrist. Maybe a $150 fine and an overnight car impound. But the 3rd time when he officially lost his licence, yes. He was fully reformed. Not just for acknowledging what he did was wrong, but taking his licence ruined a lot of opportunity for him. He's had his licence back for 4 years now and has not once drove drunk. Not even a couple of blocks. Not to mention the stories he'd tell me of the responsible drivers program. It essentially was AA for drunk drivers.

Do I agree with the harsh penalties? Of course. Is there a point where reform can be detected? I think so.

Would he have reformed had he not had his license taken away?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #37
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Would he have reformed had he not had his license taken away?

Yes. Due to the embarrassment he suffered from my parents and friends. We constantly grinded him for it after the second. His wife and daughter were livid after the 3rd and lost his licence. He was forced to look for another job.

This is where I see some empathy because it's 7 years later and he had to borrow money from me because he couldn't afford to pay his final $900 fine. I'm like, "you still dealing with this?" Knowing how against he is about the matter I felt a little sympathy it does follow him to this day. This is his last fine but by the way people are making it out here he should be crucified.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #38
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Bayless
Did not know this. The fact that the law is different from the US adds more complexity to the matter. You are either impaired or you are not. 1 drink may or may not impair an individual. Canadians should question this law. As written, it is not correct.

It's black and white. As someone who serves alcohol for living 1 drink can impair you.

Kind of puts a dent in your statement a bit huh?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #39
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
In the US, a single DUI costs an average of around $10k... so $5k for THREE of them seems like a huge bargain.

This.

How many strikes do you think he should get?

He'd be in a county jail in america.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #40
DaHeezy
NBA rookie of the year

Akrozotile,

Seeing you actually went through the process, looks like people are here to condemn you. You feel you should have been punished more. Would it be fair if you were still paying penalties?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #41
iamgine

The idea for stiff punishment is to deter people from drinking and driving.

Although, most people can drive fine with alcohol.

The question of excessive though...some might argue your bro should have lost his license for life. Especially since he's done it 3 times which strongly indicates he's not learning from his mistakes. So a year seems getting out easy.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #42
Velocirap31
College star

No one is going to feel sympathy for your selfish dumbass bro because he lost some money and was inconvenienced from 3 DUI's. He should be forever grateful that he didn't kill himself or someone else and avoided going to jail.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #43
Skip_Bayless

Quote:
It's black and white. As someone who serves alcohol for living 1 drink can impair you.

Kind of puts a dent in your statement a bit huh?

My statement was that 1 drink can not impair everyone, hence why in the US the law enforcement uses breathalyzers.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 PM   #44
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

If u get 3 duis in a year ur prol driving drunk all the time. Cops be waiting by your car at your local bar.

Dude is right. That's jail. Getting 3 speeding tickets in a year is some crazy shit, 3 duis and you need professional help.

No ass hole about it. I've driven way too intoxicated many times so I'm not throwing stones but I never got a dui doe. Haha. Lucky. But really it's stupid. Esp if dude is older than early 20s. Some people are drunk all the time tho so duing w them is just like normal life. Dudes w their 22 beer cans between their legs haha

Cmon don't be mad cuz dude said your friend is a dummy. He is a dummy. Don't take that to heart. It's over. It sucks. Don't **** up again. Pay the money and be glad he's not in jail.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #45
tpols
we already won

if anything this shows how greatly out of touch you are... you're complaining about something thats incredibly lenient being excessive.. lol
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: