Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 10-07-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

Default Suns defeat Virtus Lottomatica Roma

ROME -- Shawn Marion scored 19 points and Steve Nash had nine assists as the Phoenix Suns beat Virtus Lottomatica Roma 100-93 in an exhibition Friday.

The game was part of the NBA Europe Live tour, which also features three other NBA teams playing on the continent. The Suns will play two more games in Cologne, Germany next week against the Philadelphia 76ers and another European team.

The Suns trained in the northern Italian town of Treviso for four days before coming to Rome.

Phoenix led from the start and only struggled when coach Mike D'Antoni pulled his starters midway through each quarter.

"We played our game," D'Antoni said. "Our speed was too much for them."

Raja Bell and Brazilian guard Leandro Barbosa each had 18 points for Phoenix. Suns forward Amare Stoudemire, recovering from knee surgery, did not play.

Steve Nash has nine assists for the Suns, who will play two more games in Germany next week. (Getty Images)
Marion scored the Suns' first nine points and Phoenix led 27-17 after the first quarter. Roma rallied on several occasions, but the gap remained about 10 points for most of the game.

Former Temple guard David Hawkins led Roma with 22 points.

The Suns have been scouting Hawkins, and D'Antoni said after the game that Hawkins is good enough to play in the NBA.

"It was extra motivation for me. That's the ultimate goal," Hawkins said. "Hopefully, I'll be there one day. The sooner the better. Right now I'm with Roma though and I'm concentrating on the Euroleague and the Italian league."

NBA commissioner David Stern sat courtside next to Euroleague CEO Jordi Bertomeu and Rome mayor Walter Veltroni, an acknowledged basketball fanatic.

Former Boston Celtics star Bill Russell received a standing ovation when he was brought out onto the court during a break in the second quarter.

Longtime European star Dejan Bodiroga used his trademark double pump fake to perfection and scored 17 points. On one of them, the Serbian faked out three-time NBA All-Star Marion for an easy basket.

"The years keep passing by, but it still works," Bodiroga said with a smile. "They controlled the game to the end but we got within four, six points. We did our best."

Over the course of a career in the Italian, Spanish and Greek leagues, Bodiroga has led his teams to three Euroleague titles and six domestic league championships.

"Bodiroga is terrific," Nash said. "He's so clever. It's really a joy to play against him."

After the game, D'Antoni, who formerly coached Benetton Treviso, thanked the fans in fluent Italian on the public address system.

The Suns open the NBA season against the Los Angeles Lakers on Oct. 31 and this was their preseason opener. Roma begins the Italian league season Wednesday.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Last edited by AIR SETH : 10-07-2006 at 04:11 AM.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
wally_world
M0derator

like what i wrote in the main forum... should have let STAT played... get him ready for the season and let him adapt!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

Suns soundin good...every other team has lost to their eurorivals....

Last edited by nash4eva!gosuns : 10-08-2006 at 04:25 PM.
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash4eva!gosuns

Suns soundin good...every other team has lost to their eurorivals....

didn't the spurs win?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
didn't the spurs win?

idk...but if you insist...ALMOST every team
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

haha... this is like the worst record in NBA vs Europe since like forever!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
joni
I hit open layups

Default Suns/Sixers tomorrow

Will have to watch the game on tape after work but look forward to seeing some of the new guys play, especially Marks and Banks if they get the PT. At least we have McCoy doing the radio broadcasts on all of them -- Al brings it pretty close to a you-are-there game (and no more Vinny, so it's all good).
joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
joni
I hit open layups

Default Game today

For those of us who can't watch the game at noon, it will be rebroadcast later today-- 5:30 on ESPN2. Those who CAN watch at noon and are feeling b-ball starved like me, can watch it twice.
joni is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: