Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Fan

Default Why have the Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's and Dan Marino's jersey numbers?

Michael Jordan never played for them and Dan Marino played in another sport. Wtf lol?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Why have the Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's and Dan Marino's jersey numbers?

Having lived in Miami it's a joke from Miami fan's perspective as well. Jordan burned the Heat just as much as any other team in basketball. To honor him is a joke, but the Heat organization do it as a sign of respect I suppose.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Why have the Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's and Dan Marino's jersey numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by shady6121
    Michael Jordan never played for them and Dan Marino played in another sport. Wtf lol?

Cuz they r wack

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

The NBA should retire #23 in his honor, but it's a bit odd for Miami just to do it themselves. I get Marino as a local thing.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Jordan and Marino's numbers are right next to Bimbo Coles number. The heat have a lot of tradition.

NBA rookie of the year

Marino isn't retired. He was just honored being a South Florida sports icon. Jordan however is, and it's embarrassing. I really wish Riley didn't push his personal man crush on Jordan to the Heat fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    The NBA should retire #23 in his honor, but it's a bit odd for Miami just to do it themselves. I get Marino as a local thing.
    Why?

If you're going to retire Michael Jordan's jersey number altogether, why not retire Wilt's, Kareem's, Russell's, etc.?

What would make Jordan that special?
    He didn't score more points than Kareem, who also won 6 titles.
    He didn't win more championships than Bill Russell, who won 11 in 13 seasons.
    He averaged the practically the same amount of PPG as Wilt Chamberlain for his career.

I'm nowhere near a Jordan hater, but some of you Jordan Stans make me sick.

Well it seems like the Heat are also going to retire Kobe's number after he retires.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Why?

If you're going to retire Michael Jordan's jersey number altogether, why not retire Wilt's, Kareem's, Russell's, etc.?

He averaged the practically the same amount of PPG as Wilt Chamberlain for his career.

I guess you never watched Jordan play. Stats are nice, but they don't make you great. Being lucky enough to be on stacked teams year after year and winning championships doesn't make you great. Stats and rings don't make you great..they are nice, but don't define greatness. But I think it's silly that Miami retired the number of a player that never played for them.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Why?

Because Michael Jordan is the biggest figure in the history of the sport and it's not even close. Hell, he's one of the most famous humans ever. #23 is different than #6 for Bill Russell or #33 was for Kareem.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Well it seems like the Heat are also going to retire Kobe's number after he retires.
    this

both 8 and 24..

Why?

Though I don't necessarily believe in retiring Jordan's number, like it or not Jordan took the NBA into the stratosphere when he played. I know so many people who got into the NBA solely because of Jordan and haven't watched it since he left. Global icon. One of the 10 most famous people of all time. Etc. etc. So you have his greatness ALONG with what he did for the sport. None of those other legends have that. THAT'S why an argument can be made that his jersey should be retired. Oh, and to answer your other part

He was a winner like Russell (not as much obviously but a lot), scored like Wilt, dominated regular season and playoffs like Kareem, and did so with the most aesthetically pleasing game of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik

Lad

Sh*t franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by RagaZ
    Sh*t franchise.
    Not everyone is lucky enough to tank an entire season on a lucky draft year.