Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Iverson on being traded: It's a possibility. I wouldn't be upset either way..."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...k/?partner=RSS

Since the Nuggets went into a cost-cutting mode during the summer and traded Marcus Camby to the Clippers for next to nothing, many have wondered: Could Allen Iverson be the next big-dollar player to go?

Including Iverson.

"It's a possibility," Iverson said in an interview Wednesday with the Rocky after working out Wednesday with teammates at the Pepsi Center. "We'll just see what happens. I wouldn't be upset either way because it's a business. . . . The one thing about a trade is when somebody trades for you, they want you. That's what you want as an athlete."

With Iverson, the Nuggets' highest-paid player at $20.84 million, entering the final year of his contract, many believe he could be dealt by the February trading deadline because the Nuggets wouldn't want to risk losing him for nothing when he becomes a free agent in July. He could be very attractive to a team seeking salary-cap room in 2009.
    "My agent (Leon Rose) and my manager (Gary Moore), they let me know (being traded is) a possibility," Iverson said. "But that's not something that I concern myself with. I go out and play as hard as I can and whatever happens, happens."
    "I don't think that's on the table, but you never know what the league will deliver you," Karl said. "You never know what packages will come your way."
    Iverson during the summer was willing to opt out of the final season of his contract and sign a multiyear deal with the Nuggets. His camp even presented the option of Iverson playing for less money this season, but the Nuggets never came back with an offer.

"I was kind of bothered by it," Iverson said. "Being the fact that, from the time that I got here (in December 2006), I gave them everything I had. Obviously, I did some good things. . . . I thought they would at least make an offer for me to turn down. I thought they'd at least offer me a dollar or something.

"But there aren't no hard feelings. I feel like there are good people around here. They have their reasons for why they didn't do anything, just like they got their reasons for what they did with Marcus."

Iverson said he's "set for life" and "obviously . . . would consider" taking a pay cut next season.

"It's a good feeling because this will be the first time that I'll be a free agent," the 33-year-old, 12-year veteran said. "It's something different in my career. . . . Next summer, it's going to be a fun time for me because I get to weigh my options and go wherever I want to go."

HeartHustleHope

Default Re: Iverson on being traded: It's a possibility. I wouldn't be upset either way..."

He should go to the Knicks

Default Re: Iverson on being traded: It's a possibility. I wouldn't be upset either way..."

wish he didnt make soo much loot.... We could bring him back .... that would be fun..

The one thing I have always loved about AI is the fact he plays his heart out every single game, regardless of the speculation that surrounds him. He knows this is a business. And he knows the state the Nuggets are in. He has the heart of a warrior. I hope he does well this year and finally gets to really contend for a winning team

If there was any way possible of seeing an Iverson trade midseason to the Rockets, I'd love to see it. Yao/McGrady/Artest/AI

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

if he drastically tones down his game (to the point that his stats will be pretty pedestrian), he can be a contributor to a contender. But as the "27 point and 8 dime per game" player? He won't help a contender.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

one way or another, Iverson will end up with either the Cavs or Heat, with the longshots be Mavs, Spurs.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    one way or another, Iverson will end up with either the Cavs or Heat, with the longshots be Mavs, Spurs.
    Why do you say that?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    if he drastically tones down his game (to the point that his stats will be pretty pedestrian), he can be a contributor to a contender. But as the "27 point and 8 dime per game" player? He won't help a contender.
    He has the ability to be a 20/10 player, maybe on low efficiency, but he has had that ability his whole career. It would be great if he can turn into that, but unfortunately I think he's too old and too stuck in his ways.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Why do you say that?
    a couple reasons.
    because I think that both he and mgmt realize that he is not an ideal fit alongside Melo.
    because I think that he realizes that he is unlikely to win a championship anytime soon in Denver (and he's not getting any younger).
    because he is an expirer and is clearly looking forward to weighing his options.

unlike some folks here on ISH, I do not believe he is an entirely selfish player. I think he would happily play an appropriate role beside players like Duncan, Lebron, Dirk, etc.

Remember Nick Van Exel back when he was on the Mavs? Dude was such a spark for them off the bench. I can see Iverson in that same type of role somewhere.

Van Exel's Stats With Dallas

27.8 mpg
    12.5 ppg
    4.3 apg
    38% from deep

Seemed like he scored in loads when he was on that team

Do you mean this year, or after his contract ends?

I dont think Iverson is what th Cavs need. They need a post player. And they already have a shoot first point in Mo. I dont think his services would make them much better and essentially they would be renting him for a year.

Nugz could deal AI for Marion, but why would they? They have Melo already at the 3. I would prefer Marion over AI personally for the Heat

Kidd for AI? Josh Howard+Stackhouse for AI? What would they package for him?

Spurs are not getting him this season so lets just rule that one out

3-time NBA All-Star

a couple reasons.
    because I think that both he and mgmt realize that he is not an ideal fit alongside Melo.
    because I think that he realizes that he is unlikely to win a championship anytime soon in Denver (and he's not getting any younger).
    because he is an expirer and is clearly looking forward to weighing his options.

unlike some folks here on ISH, I do not believe he is an entirely selfish player. I think he would happily play an appropriate role beside players like Duncan, Lebron, Dirk, etc.
    I'm pretty sure he won't be in Denver. I was talking about why those teams? I can't see him in San Antonio cause they already have two guards that do the bulk of the scoring, and one of whom is similar to AI in that he's an undersized shoot-first PG, even though AI is not a PG but I'm sure you get the point.

I'm not sure why he would go to Cleveland. They just got Mo Williams who is basically the same type, and Lebron dominates the ball way too much to adapt with AI's style, even moreso then Melo.

In Miami, Wade is basically the same player, just bigger and more efficient. I don't see AI there unless he plays PG. Plus they aren't contenders, and I don't think will be next season.

Dallas is on the decline, although with Kidd at PG, it might be a good fit depending on how much Kidd declines.

AI is my favorite player but I don't know where he'll end up. I think if he could tone down on the scoring and play some PG, he'd be perfect on alot of contending teams like the Rockets, Lakers, Celtics. With his current playing style, the only contending teams I can think of where he could play starting SG and fit is Detroit, Orlando, and Philly (depending on how good they are this year.)
    Last edited by guy; 09-26-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Decent playground baller Venja42's Avatar

What about a buyout??

You think AI would be willing to do so in order to latch onto a contender around February?? And who would be interested??

Quote Originally Posted by Venja42
    What about a buyout??

You think AI would be willing to do so in order to latch onto a contender around February?? And who would be interested??
    He is more of an asset to the Nugges with his expiring contract than to just buy him out.