Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
Emile
National High School Star

Emile is a pretty well-respected posterEmile is a pretty well-respected posterEmile is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Odom is kind of a non presence....

Quote:
"He's kind of a non-presence out there with a great deal of stats and does a terrific job on the boards," Jackson said. "But he's not the guy that goes out there and asserts himself in the offense and there are times when it's opportunistic. He just takes advantage of the things that come his way."

LOL, thank you Phil.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. And I haven't. In all of my million and 346 tries.
I think he was actually brilliant as a third option behind Gasol. Maybe even an x factor. Not as a third option behind Bynum though. It's Gasol that has really enhanced Odom's game in my view. Not sure if it shows in stats, probably not. But Odom was a gamer and a game winner in the short span of playing with Gasol.
We"ll see what happens when both Bynum and Gasol are on the floor with LO.
If he can play like he's been playing with Gasol, then the unthinkable might happen and I might want the Lakers to keep him...for a much lower price of course, at around 6-7 mil a year. Eeeeh, 8 max.

But for God's sakes and all that's sacred, don't ever pretend to be the 2nd option anymooo.

I do think he's a non presence as a second option behind Kobe, there I agree with Phil. God knows, I do.
But I'm not sure I agree when Odom is playing a smaller role, I think he's actually quite decent when he focuses on small things.
Emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Odom is kind of a non presence....

Everyone would like to see Lamar be more aggressive....people
have said that for years....

BUT Lamar is perfect to be our #3 or #4 player.....
- he is tall and long, our best rebounder
- he is our best big defender
- he keeps the ball moving on O
- he will cause major mismatches when he eventually plays the SF

PLEASE KEEP LO7 !!!!!
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Then came another twist of fate after another injury, and Odom was pushed back up to secondary importance.

He had 17 points and 11 rebounds in the Lakers' 104-92 loss Sunday to Houston, and seemed to lament the fact that he wasn't found more often in the post.

"Guys have got to recognize as a team what's working," he said. "Tonight, we didn't do that. Other teams notice. It just takes recognition as a team, from all the guys, to what's working and what's not."

Coach Phil Jackson suggested that Odom act more forcefully if he wants the ball more often.

"He's kind of a non-presence out there with a great deal of stats and does a terrific job on the boards," Jackson said. "But he's not the guy that goes out there and asserts himself in the offense and there are times when it's opportunistic. He just takes advantage of the things that come his way."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,7003105.story
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

lol its funny because thats what me and sizzle talked about a few weeks ago. Odom will only be aggressive when there's an open lane but he'll never try to create anything.

What I dont understand is after teams started doubling Bynum (therefore creating more open lanes), Why didn't Odom take advantage of that?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
lol its funny because thats what me and sizzle talked about a few weeks ago. Odom will only be aggressive when there's an open lane but he'll never try to create anything.

What I dont understand is after teams started doubling Bynum (therefore creating more open lanes), Why didn't Odom take advantage of that?
because even when bynum was on the court odom was still more of a threat so he still gets more attention then bynum did...pau is much more of a problem with his skill set then bynum is.was at this time, that's what opens the flor up in the middle...

as for creating something lamar has never been a create off the dribble kind of guy, he exploits weaknesses, takes advantages of opportunities...
Old 03-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How many more "blame Lamar" threads can we have? Oh well, I guess at least one more... heh

p.s. thanks for posting the link and paragraph in its proper context gts.... its a lot different than when that one sentence stands by itself.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
p.s. thanks for posting the link and paragraph in its proper context gts.... its a lot different than when that one sentence stands by itself.

Seriously, seeing that in the proper context makes that statement completely different.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Phenomenon
Ball Above All

Phenomenon has an OK reputation so far

Yep, he's just a really good role player...perfect 4th option, he's the unexpected hero.
Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
How many more "blame Lamar" threads can we have? Oh well, I guess at least one more... heh

it always is... i never understnd folks that don't post a sentence in it's context, and just leave it on the table...lol

of course if the OP had wanted us to view it in the properlight he would have supplied a link
Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Odom has always always always been a guy that let the game come to him, sometimes too much, and thats why he cant really be depended upon as a second option but hes a terrific player and imo will be the xfactor for us in our future playoff runs
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Odom has always always always been a guy that let the game come to him, sometimes too much, and thats why he cant really be depended upon as a second option but hes a terrific player and imo will be the xfactor for us in our future playoff runs
exactly his whole career this has been his game... yet weekly there is some comment about odom not doing this or that.... fans just need to realize that this is lamar, this is his game, expecting him to be any different is just not going to happen...
and by the way the lamar we see is pretty damn good...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
exactly his whole career this has been his game... yet weekly there is some comment about odom not doing this or that.... fans just need to realize that this is lamar, this is his game, expecting him to be any different is just not going to happen...
and by the way the lamar we see is pretty damn good...

That's something I learned to accept after being one of the leaders of the trade Odom bandwagon and I actually like (not love) odom on this team as long as he executes the offense.

I was mad because I thought when we traded Shaq, we weren't in rebuilding mode and that Odom was supposed to be some crazy good scorer.

I thought he was drafted to carry a team.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
it always is... i never understnd folks that don't post a sentence in it's context, and just leave it on the table...lol

of course if the OP had wanted us to view it in the properlight he would have supplied a link

Its deliberate to fulfill a specific agenda.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
Bruinlove
Banned

Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
That's something I learned to accept after being one of the leaders of the trade Odom bandwagon and I actually like (not love) odom on this team as long as he executes the offense.

I was mad because I thought when we traded Shaq, we weren't in rebuilding mode and that Odom was supposed to be some crazy good scorer.

I thought he was drafted to carry a team.
He was good at scoring on the Clippers as the first option, then he got busted for pot, now he's who he is. I don't know what happened.
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
He was good at scoring on the Clippers as the first option, then he got busted for pot, now he's who he is. I don't know what happened.

And you saw what kind of record they had with odom as the number one option right?
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: