Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Guy Brings His White Girlfriend To Barbershop And Gets Hated On

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I disagree ....
    Most of the time the non-actors behave very progressively. Eg, supporting couples of different races, disabled people, gay people, being anti racism, etc.

time after time, put black or hispanic actors in situations that involve some type of crime (e.g., theft, assault), and the "non actors" fail miserably.

the show even emphasizes it.

most of the towns they choose look foolish when it comes racial stereotypes.

Earned not given

I disagree with that. In my experience most people dont see race as that big of a deal.

And overall what would you do supports my theory (there are exceptions).

Most of the time the non-actors behave very progressively. Eg, supporting couples of different races, disabled people, gay people, being anti racism, etc.
    Just because race issues are not prevalent in your experience does not mean they are not a big deal to other people.

That's akin to you living in a rain forest and a storm is going on. You say to yourself "Well, there's no rain on me so I don't see a problem" and meanwhile many other people have rain over their heads.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    time after time, put black or hispanic actors in situations that involve some type of crime (e.g., theft, assault), and the "non actors" fail miserably.

the show even emphasizes it.

most of the towns they choose look foolish when it comes racial stereotypes.
    I grant you that the theft scenarios make people appear racist. And perhaps people do suspect blacks and latinos of being thieves unfairly.

However, watch some of the stuff about black and white couples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGASbQbIk0

here is one where a daughter introduces her dad to her black boyfriend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGLECNnxKE

most of the people are very progressive and supportive

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Just because race issues are not prevalent in your experience does not mean they are not a big deal to other people.

That's akin to you living in a rain forest and a storm is going on. You say to yourself "Well, there's no rain on me so I don't see a problem" and meanwhile many other people have rain over their heads.
    Fair enough

But in aggregate I dont think overall America is a racist country.
    In a country where 12.7% of the population is black, a black man won the presidency by 126 electoral votes over a white man.

Earned not given

Fair enough

But in aggregate I dont think overall America is a racist country.
    In a country where 12.7% of the population is black, a black man won the presidency by 126 electoral votes over a white man.
    I agree that racism is going away, albeit very slowly. As the older generations start to die off I think we'll start to see racism become even less of an issue. At least I hope that's what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGASbQbIk0

here is one where a daughter introduces her dad to her black boyfriend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGLECNnxKE

most of the people are very progressive and supportive

N.America is not racist.

but without question, people have racially biased attitudes towards many things.

I think that shows like this are focusing on situations where, unquestionably, racial stereotypes are common.

whether contestants "pass" or "fail" depends on their own sensibilities. and good for the people who act progressively.

but the show's producers are focused in on attitudes that generally do exist, have existed previously, and unfortunately are not going anywhere anytime soon.

and, fwiw, those situations in restaurants and bars have more to do with polite behaviour. people do tend to speak up when someone is being rude.

but, put them in a situation where they have to trust someone, and their racially-based stereotypes tend to come to the surface.
    Last edited by BRabbiT; 12-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

I agree that racism is going away, albeit very slowly. As the older generations start to die off I think we'll start to see racism become even less of an issue. At least I hope that's what happens.
    Its already clear thats the case. Thats like hoping the sun will rise tomorrow.

How many racist people under 30 do you know? I cant think of one. I know tons of people over 50 or 60 who are racist imo. Meaning that they at least have racist beliefs.

Millennials are very progressive.

NBA rookie of the year

Also not a big deal but it is happening very quickly. Obama would have never won in 1980.

By 2012 Romney didnt have a prayer of a chance.

Earned not given

Its already clear thats the case. Thats like hoping the sun will rise tomorrow.

How many racist people under 30 do you know? I cant think of one. I know tons of people over 50 or 60 who are racist imo. Meaning that they at least have racist beliefs.

Millennials are very progressive.
    I've known a couple and I don't talk to those people anymore.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

How many racist people under 30 do you know?
    Many.

At my job, I think I'm the only person who isn't racist. Practically everyone is either white or Mexican, and on different occasions, I've heard plenty of them go off with rants about hating blacks, all sorts of Asians, and gays.
    I think progressive thinking occurs in areas where it's not predominantly populated by a specific group of people.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    N.America is not racist.

but without question, people have racially biased attitudes towards many things.

I think that shows like this are focusing on situations where, unquestionably, racial stereotypes are common.

whether contestants "pass" or "fail" depends on their own sensibilities. and good for the people who act progressively.

but the show's producers are focused in on attitudes that generally do exist, have existed previously, and unfortunately are not going anywhere anytime soon.

and, fwiw, those situations in restaurants and bars have more to do with polite behaviour. people do tend to speak up when someone is being rude.

but, put them in a situation where they have to trust someone, and their racially-based stereotypes tend to come to the surface
    Well those are two different things.

I am not going to harm someone/hurt their feelings/disrespect them/treat them any differently if they are another color. I'll be friends with anyone, color doesn't matter.

But if I'm going to pick a team for the upcoming math contest, i'm picking all the asians.

NBA sixth man of the year

What's the big deal? She is an actress. Not only that, but she is in an interracial relationship herself.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Well those are two different things.

I am not going to harm someone/hurt their feelings/disrespect them/treat them any differently if they are another color. I'll be friends with anyone, color doesn't matter.

But if I'm going to pick a team for the upcoming math contest, i'm picking all the asians.

why confused?

for more context, read the statement that i'm responding to.

his point was that the show's contestants acted pretty progressively in scenarios dealing w/race. his examples were in a restaurant, and in a bar.

my point is that, in those types of settings, the contestant's "progressive" behaviour was more to due with calling out rudeness (e.g., insulting another customer for dating a white girl), than it was to diminished racial perceptions.

whereas, my examples where when contestants were assigning guilt or punishment to the show's actors, based on raced.

in these cases, behaviour was not progressive at all. far from it

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

These are always just way too awkward to watch.