Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Grade each player so far on this season's performance

Kobe Bryant

After the most dramatic off-season from Kobe, he finally learned to adjust to his teammates after they learned to adjust to him and they love him now. He's been setting the tone both offensively and defensively and is finally a legit MVP candidate.

Grade A

Lamar Odom

Lamar had a rough start as he was switched to a new role this season and underachieved offensively for most of the season. Along came Pau and Odom was playing the "pippen role" in this offense and could not be stopped. Even when pau went down, Odom was putting up monstrous numbers and even improved his shotblocking and defense.

Grade B-

Pau Gasol

What we like to call the "new guy". He fit in so perfect to begin and him and Kobe continue to show the world that they have great chemistry, and in exchange, we are winning!

Grade A-

Andrew Bynum

Injured for most of the season, but before he went down he showed us why the future was worth thinking about from now and gave us a little feeling of what it would be like to be in first place before he went down. Averaging a double double in only his third year, Bynum won the hearts of most laker fans and hopes to make a bigger impact and power up with Pau when he returns in a little bit.

Grade A+

Sasha Vujacic

I admit that I thought he was going to have another below 40% shooting season and I had no clue Sasha would earn my respect the way he did this season. I hope this isn't to earn a big contract, but this sasha is the type of player we will need down the line if we want to win a championship. He scores, defends, and pours out his heart and soul into every game

Grade B+

Luke Walton

People are often fooled this season by Walton's decrease in production but never point out his 10 mpg decrease as well. He hasn't brought any new moves but continues to make scoring much easier for other players.

Grade B-

Jordan Farmar

Jordan improved over last season, there is no doubt about that. He just needs to make some better decisions and he would be perfect. I love how he attacks the basket and finally can knock down some threes once a while.

Grade B

Derek Fisher

I can honestly say "Welcome home fish". It was great for the FO to go out there and snatch back a piece of what belonged to us in the first place, and he has been a huge helper defensively and offensively outside of the arc.

Grade B

Ronny Turiaf

He seems a bit more involved in the offense this season but never takes that as an excuse to stop playing defense. Ronny's monstrosity increases year by year and noone will ever figure out how to calm him down. Actually enjoys doing the dirty work down low and saves us a lot of trouble offensively with nothing goes our way sometimes.

Grade B-

Chris Mihm

I know people dont want to hear this but he's been trying to stay healthy. He's just had it very bad with injuries and is still trying to stay with this system. I root for him to get better, but seems unlikely due to age.

D-

Coby Karl

Started out playing nervous and made some mistakes....but now is showing some comfort and instensity on both sides of the floor. Though we have only seen glimpses of Coby here and there, I dont see why he can't get a good grade.

Grade C+

Trevor Ariza

Another player that would have shown us so much more if it weren't for the broken foot. In his appearances in games, he made it absolutely difficult for opponents to pass anywhere as his nack for where the ball would go combined with his length always created possessions for our team. He gets to the line a lot, and dunks on players on a regular basis .

Grade B

DJ Mbenga

Im going to start off by saying underrated. Plays some nice defense, and can hit the occasional fadeaway that seems to send a shock of electricity through the stands, into the cameras, through the couches of viewers watching TV....needless to say, Mbenga has earned some respect in lakerland and hopefully can continue to display passion during the games.

Grade C+

Vladimir Radmanovic

After a dissapointing season last year, Radman decided he was going to become the consistent outside shooter we needed....and it looks like its working so far. Much of an improvement over last season.

Grade B-

Ira Newble- NC

Everyone discuss your grades to each player and give some reasoning.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Grade each player so far on this season's performance

Oh wow, I forgot about grading each player... nicely done lakerfreak... we used to do this for fun. I like the grades, although I fail Mihm since he pretty much has not played at all.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kobe: A+

Considering what happened during the offseason, I was not sure what to expect from Kobe. Turned out he left everything on the court, played with heart and passion, even when all the trade rumors were flying around. Deferring to his teammates, never sat out the whole season. MVP season for Kobe.

Lamar Odom: B

Kind of torn here. Playing very well as of late but only when Gasol arrived. Pretty inconsistent before Gasols arrival. If not for Gasol, I'd probably be giving Odom a C.

Derek Fisher: B+

He gets a high grade from me bc of how much of an upgrade he was from Smush. He has brought a more consistent outside shot, and most importantly, veteran leadership. He has his liabilities on the court, but he brings a lot of intangibles to this team. Professionalism is what he brings.

Pau Gasol: A+

Him comming here was a blessing. We are not alegit contender without him. Plain and simple. He makes the game much easier for everyone, and fits the triangle perfectly. His impact this season argably has been as bg as Kobes.

Andrew Bynum: A-

He would have higher grade had he not been injured, but his game has really stepped up this year. Huge presence for us that we are lacking as of late.

Luke Walton: C

Has regressed this season, lot of it due to injuries, lack of playing time. Outside shot has been shaky all season long, along with his confidence. Still great facilitator in the triangle, but lost offensively for most of the season

Ronny Turiaf: A-

His energy off the bench has been huge for us. He gets the high grade from me based on how huge he has been for us with all the injuries to our bigs. Defensive presence, alters shots, plays with heart wether its 8 minutes or 30 minutes.

Sasha Vujacic: A-

Biggest surprise of the season. Finally shooting with confidence and consistency. Huge off the bench for us this year, is not afaid to take big shots, has come in the clutch many time this season. Still a pest on D as well. Very nice surprise

Jordan Farmar: B+

Kind of hit the sophmore wall as of late, but has been a great pg for us all seaosn long, great spark off the bench. Love his fearless attitude, and driving game.

Vladimir Radmonavic: C+

Better than last season, more consistent, but still not consistent enough. Has had some good games, improved D as well. At least he didnt go snowboarding this season

Chris Mihm: F

Pretty much due to the fact he hasnt really played much this season. Hasnt really helped much, worried that he will never ever really be 100% again.

Trevor Ariza: B-

During the short time with us, he proved to us he as our best permieter defender. He would have higher seaosn grade form me if he played more. Dont know if he will be back for playoffs. Nice addition in the playoffs if he plays. Very athletic, still raw on offense.

DJ Mbenga: C+

Has helped in his time whe our bigs have been down. Big body to bang downlow and not a horrible defender

Coby Karl/ Ira Newble: Hasnt played enough

Theres my list, Lot of good grades due to our success this season. I gave high marks to our key benchplayers largly due to the fact that not a whole lot was expected out of them and they performed very well this season.
ihatetimthomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The Laker Team's Performance - Part I

Hi Everyone - here is The Pimp's assessment of the Lakers this season. I did a similar assessment last year around mid March so Lakerfreak's timing was perfect. I do apologize that it is long, but I do hope you take the time to read it.

Part I is the Players and Part II is the Laker Organization.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Players

Kobe Bryant - Grade A+ - He is clearly the league MVP to me. He has done everything he has needed to do improving himself to help this team win and make his team better (remember, the second stringers have been getting a LOT of playing time because of injuries). Yes, there have been a few times when Kobe has regressed, but in light of injuries, he has been heroic, playing through injuries that would have sat other competitors on the bench who are considered “MVP candidates.

Derek Fisher - Grade A- – The luck the Lakers had to land D Fish was just what the doctor ordered. Not only is he a huge upgrade over Smush Parker, he is an incredible character guy and a leader. While some may argue that his play is not at the level it should be, his leadership, clutch play and experience are HUGE factors for a young team. D Fish also gave Kobe someone he could trust in a leadership role so that Kobe could improve himself as well. In previous years, it was Kobe and only Kobe. D Fish brings that much to this team which is why he gets the high grade.

Lamar Odom - Grade B – LO has played well for the majority of the season but has recently found himself in time for the playoffs. He has been playing at a very high level for the last 20 games and I expect it to continue into the playoffs. He does the dirty work including rebounding and assists, and he has been averaging double doubles for the last 20 games. He will continue contribute. LO probably benefited the most and contributed the most by becoming the third/fourth option on the team.

Andrew Bynum - Grade B+ – I am very impressed with his incredible improvement year over year. He became a pillar in a one-two punch that opened up the court on both sides, offensively learning how to finish very strong and defensively as the anchor the Lakers were severely lacking. When playing head to head against some of the league’s best, he more than held his own. Unfortunately, he got injured and fortunately he got injured (which I will comment on below). His next development step will be to work on creating his own shots and his foot work on defense, all of which I expect he will improve on!

Pau Gasol - Grade A- – This was a wonderful addition to the Lakers team as well as addition by subtraction. They got Gasol for essentially “nothing.” And at the same time, they moved Kwame, who, while he may be a player the team liked, out on the court, he was just plain disruptive. In addition, they NEVER would have gotten Gasol if Bynum had not been injured, so its a strange blessing that Bynum went down. With Gasol, they get a player who is young, incredibly intelligent, great character, and gives the Lakers a dimension they have not had for years… and inside offensive presence. It is amazing how quickly he meshed into the team chemistry and contributed almost immediately.

Trevor Ariza - Grade B- – I was very happy with the Trevor Ariza acquisition. It was addition and also addition by subtraction again. Moving Cook away from the Lakers and Evans as well helped the team from a mental toughness perspective as well as a “Triangle fit” perspective. Ariza gives the Lakers a defensive minded approach with his length and quickness as well as his ability to slash to the basket, which many of the Lakers cannot do. If he could only develop an outside shot, the Lakers would be gravy.

Vladimir Radmanovic - Grade C – VladRad has indeed improved over last season which I had termed “a complete bust” for the season. He has improved his defense a little and is able to provide a little more consistency. Unfortunately, he is still very one-dimensional as a set shooter only with an occasional layup when teams over play him. But he cannot shoot off the dribble which hurts his ability to make shots.

Sasha Vujacic - Grade B- – Sasha has improved dramatically over last season. He has seemingly found his long range shot and earned the nickname “The Machine.” Unfortunately, he still cannot drive to the basket, and when he leads breaks or gets caught along the baseline, he tends to make mistakes. He had definitely established himself as a valuable role player. I’d like to see his defense improve.

Jordan Farmar - Grade B – Like Sasha, Jordan has improved his game quite a bit this season, both offensively and defensively. He has learned to drive to the hole aggressively which helps to have additional guards that penetrate. His outside shot has improved somewhat as well. He still needs work in the decision making department, but given this is his second year, I am pleased with his progress.

Ronny Turiaf - Grade B+ – Incredible work ethic and heart, Ronny continues to improve and impress. Whoever said he was a newer version of Chris Madsen was on drugs. He is much more than Madsen will ever be, except perhaps when it comes to dancing. Ronny has played a lot of quality minutes and has filled in quite well given he is undersized at the center position.

Luke Walton - Grade C+ – I have not been overly pleased with Luke’s play this year. He has not improved much over last year and I had hoped he would have improved his outside shot. He is very streaky. I never want him leading a fast break as he will make bad decisions. I also do not like that he tries to make passes that he should not. If he played “within himself” a little more, he would be that much better. That being said, he does know the Triangle offense very well and does contribute night in and night out.

DJ Mbenga - Grade C- – Low expectations and limited minutes, Mbenga has been able to help a little as the team has suffered from a lack of bigs due to injuries. I do not expect to see him back next season on the Lakers roster.

Ira Newble - Grade
N/A – Too early to tell, only playing a few minutes in a game so far this season. He may be a “cheap” pickup for next season as a defensive minded player the Lakers could benefit from.

Coby Karl - Grade
N/A – I don’t want to give Coby a grade at this point. I believe he belongs in the D League at this point in his career, and while his cancer recovery is a “feel good” story, he’s not ready for the NBA. I’d rather him get more playing time in the D League and bulk up before he enters the NBA again.

Chris Mihm - Grade F – I am done with Chris Mihm. I am disappointed the Lakers signed him to two years.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
SoCalMike

Default The Laker Team's Performance - Part II

The Lakers Organization

Lakers Team – Grade A- - I am very pleased with what I have seen from the Laker team overall. They have competed well in a very tough Western Conference. I would still like to see them play with more intensity and defense in mind, which is why they do not get higher than an A-, which is pretty darn good. I hope we can see this team at full strength this season as I think the League will have something to fear!

Lakers Training Staff – Grade A- - Okay, I don’t want to hear it from any of you. No conspiracies, no beliefs that “other” teams have better this or better that. The Lakers training staff has done a very good job of keeping this team patched up and together. They created a custom protection pad for Ronny after his surgery and have creatively crafted other things to protect injuries for Kobe and LO among others. They are doing a very good job for a Lakers team that is still among the leaders in the Western Conference.

Lakers Coaching Staff – Grade A- – The Lakers have done very well given the roster they have and the consistent injuries. PJax, despite our questioning his methods at times, has done a great job of using what he has and also mentoring Kobe into the MVP that he is today.

Lakers Management – Grade A – Aside from Kobe’s outburst toward the Lakers management over the summer, I do think it resulted in a wake up call to Lakers management from top to bottom, although they will never admit it. The moves they have made this season are short of brilliant and they should be commended. Thank you to Kobe and thank you to Lakers management for listening. Now, if we could only trade Kupchak’s personality for someone more engaging, they would earn an A+. One other point I will make is that Kupchak indeed recognized the need to remove some of the players that just did not fit character wise on this team, specifically Kwame, Cook and Smush. That recognition was huge as the Lakers could NEVER get to elite status with those players on the team.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
SoCalMike

dang, so after all that time writing, no comments?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
dang, so after all that time writing, no comments?

Unfortunately our board is filled with patients diagnosed with A.D.D.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Unfortunately our board is filled with patients diagnosed with A.D.D.

I already knew you had A.D.D., but I did not know others did too!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

hey guys what's up? what are we talking about today?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
hey guys what's up? what are we talking about today?

Start with message #4 in this thread!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Start with message #4 in this thread!

you missed my A.D.D. joke...lol

ok

Kobe A on court B for citizenship, too many techs this year, needs to learn to shuss up

Fisher A for effort, and being a team leader, B for actual perfomance

Odom B could be an A by the end of the season

Bynum B on the court, big honking A for his improvement

Pau strong B like odom an A is on the horizon

Turiaf B great effort and hustle, game play improving nightly, he has been the teams saving grace with the bigs down

Luke B- for finding ways to contribute while shuffled up anddown the roster depending on the lakers needs, and quietly fighting through the injuries and doing all the little things that go unrecognized

Sasha B- nice shooting tex, nice hustle on defense

Farmar C+ his improvement this year has been astonishing from his rookie season, needs to play within himself but that will come

Vlad Rad C could easily be better but the grade represents the inconsistancies in his game, like sasha he has only two things to worry about shoot and defend and until he does both better he gets a lower grade

ariza, mihm, newble, mbenga and karl, N/A at this time not enough game time to see you play

Coaching Staff A. for diffusing an off season that could have been a huge disaster and turning the group into winners inspite of kobes insults and seemingly early efforts to drag his feet...

Buss, Mitch and Crew for taking the high road through it all and proving my faith in you was not misplaced A+

Last edited by gts : 04-03-2008 at 08:06 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: