Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #31
chrisxuk

Default Re: Am i being unsympathetic for thinking the coverage of the Chile miners is laughable

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
what's a circle jerk?

When a group of males all stand in a circle and everyone jerks the person on either the right or the left of them.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #32
KobeKlutch

Default Re: Am i being unsympathetic for thinking the coverage of the Chile miners is laughable

I am happy that these men were rescued. It's shocking to even imagine how long these guys were underground for.

You don't even know if it's night or day.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #33
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

OP has a good point about over-sensationalization being used to attract more viewers for the media.

But the thing that makes this event so unique is that no one's ever done this before. The drilling is the deepest they've ever done. When you factor the risks involved and after 2 months of anticipation, the world wants to know if these miners are going to make it out or not. The media's reporting gives them hope.

...And then the media will benefit off of this after the event too. These miners already have film contracts, endorsements, donations, interviews, talk show spots, etc waiting for them when they get out....they're going to get the celeb of the week/month treatment.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #34
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
grammar nazi's here are

theres like 10 posts in every thread you could cry about

Just a momentary piece of frustration.

I'll take a deep breath before I post next time.

:)
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #35
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

I wanna be work in a bodyshop.

What do I have to do? Study? Etc.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #36
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

So we can't feel good for these people who were underground for 70 days. 17 days with milk and a little food to share not knowing if they were ever going to be found.

I think it's a miracle none of them died. These stories all end in tragety. This has nothing to do with the fact other people die every single day. That's going to far too put this in perspective, and you're stretching. It's about that these people could all be dead, and are alive today.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #37
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

I'm happy to see news stories that are good , instead of all the bad crap.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/high...inera-11874744
However when i see how deep these guys are going into the earth , I have to wonder where are the robots ?

Last edited by Jasper : 10-13-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Jasper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #38
SinJackal
Banned

I didn't watch any of the coverage. It's already been talked about enough for me to not care now. If it was brought up say, shortly before the rescue thing it might've been interesting. . .but when they give all these dumb updates about every step of the process before they even do it, I sort of become desensitized to the whole event.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #39
50inchvertical
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
So we can't feel good for these people who were underground for 70 days. 17 days with milk and a little food to share not knowing if they were ever going to be found.

I think it's a miracle none of them died. These stories all end in tragety. This has nothing to do with the fact other people die every single day. That's going to far too put this in perspective, and you're stretching. It's about that these people could all be dead, and are alive today.
I agree. I was praying (to nobody) that they would make it out alive when I saw the capsule rescue system. It is only the second time that such a system has ever been used. I was scared somehow in rescue it might agitate the Earth or something else could go wrong. I'm happy for all of them and thought it was great of the first Chilean family to be present. Like someone else already mentioned, it's also refreshing to see positive news instead of doomsday stuff and pro/anti Obama rhetoric all day,
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #40
StusOneGoodEye
Banned

like rappers, no one cared when they were underground but when they went mainstream everyone want to be part of it
StusOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #41
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Simple people want to see hope, butterflies and good stories, because everyday life is death, disease or worse. Its nice one in awhile to feel good and showcase the human spirit. Its the same way people watch the Olympics to feel good and proud about something. Same case here instead of all gloomy news it great to occasionally watch a story everyone can relate or be moved by, but I guess in your case NOT.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
Poodle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
Simple people want to see hope, butterflies and good stories, because everyday life is death, disease or worse. Its nice one in awhile to feel good and showcase the human spirit. Its the same way people watch the Olympics to feel good and proud about something. Same case here instead of all gloomy news it great to occasionally watch a story everyone can relate or be moved by, but I guess in your case NOT.

i just want to get the news. they don't need to butter it up, make it more emotional, and pat themselves on the back for making a story way more emotionally overcoming than it really is. like i said there is a consistency with this type of news that always comes out to us over the top emo, and its almost like reporters wanting to be sensationalized wrters than actually reporting the events as they are...

i think even going that route is really stretching what their jobs actually are...even if its just trying to make everyone feel good with so many tragic stories, its not what a good reporter is to me, and this is our news agencies in general these days.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #43
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
i just want to get the news. they don't need to butter it up, make it more emotional, and pat themselves on the back for making a story way more emotionally overcoming than it really is. like i said there is a consistency with this type of news that always comes out to us over the top emo, and its almost like reporters wanting to be sensationalized wrters than actually reporting the events as they are...

i think even going that route is really stretching what their jobs actually are...even if its just trying to make everyone feel good with so many tragic stories, its not what a good reporter is to me, and this is our news agencies in general these days.
theyve always done this because good and bad stuff sell news so they mix it up, we recently had a hostage crisis here in the Philippines which resulted in the death of 8 of the hostages, I blame the media for over escalating the situation, things only went bad when they brodcast the hostage takers brother being hauled of like a pig, which was ok since he was adding to the situation. Problem is stupid media broadcast it live and the hostage taker had a TV in the Bus he had taken. Media pretend to be neutral but in the end it all about what makes ratings or sells there newspaper count. I personally dont see anything wrong if they show us feel good stuff but despise when it involves other people like the situation of the hostage crisis.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: