Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raps Buying Out Garbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
That's not how it works.

The amount the Raps will be paying him will be the number they agree to on the buyout, he won't get his full salary on top of the buyout.

That's good to know. I guess Garbo must have a nice deal lined up with a European team then otherwise he'd just "play" out his remaining $4.3 million here.

I'm glad this is happening then. The past year was nothing but problems with him and he was clearly more committed to his national team than his actual job. Even if he came back he wouldn't play as I don't see why he'd deserve minutes over Moon or even Humphries.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

B.C is planning something.. i could feel it. something big.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
B.C is planning something.. i could feel it. something big.
So buying out the 15th man on our roster (which is probably where Garbo would be next season) makes you think BC is planning some blockbuster move?

I agree we will probably see some sort of trade this offseason involving TJ Ford but I don't see how him buying Garbo out makes you think he has some huge plan.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
So buying out the 15th man on our roster (which is probably where Garbo would be next season) makes you think BC is planning some blockbuster move?

I agree we will probably see some sort of trade this offseason involving TJ Ford but I don't see how him buying Garbo out makes you think he has some huge plan.

Moves sometimes that dont make sense.. will sometimes lead to something big you never know..
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #20
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think a buyout that will at most save $1-$2 million and clear a roster spot of a player who wasn't going to even play will have much of an effect on the overall plans.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

The buy-outs are less than what they would have to pay if they just waive him, which is the full contract price. Also it's the buy-out price that will count against the cap.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Good bye Garbo. dont let the door hit you on the way out. I liked this guy in the beginning, but he couldnt knock down the open shot consistantly enough.

I understand you want to play for your country and all that. But he was a little over the top in that he was willing sacrafice the team that pays his salary for it. Not smart for someone who is touted as a smart player.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #23
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Good bye Garbo. dont let the door hit you on the way out. I liked this guy in the beginning, but he couldnt knock down the open shot consistantly enough.

I understand you want to play for your country and all that. But he was a little over the top in that he was willing sacrafice the team that pays his salary for it. Not smart for someone who is touted as a smart player.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=2410...headlines_main

Quote:
According the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Raptors have reached an agreement to buy out Garbajosa's contract and settle their dispute with the Spanish basketball federation.

"All the talks have been concluded," Raptors president Bryan Colangelo told The Globe and Mail on Tuesday.

Garbajosa will be on waivers for 48 hours. If no other NBA teams claim him, he'll become a free agent. According to the Globe, no teams are expected to claim the forward who will return to play in Spain.

The Raptors will reportedly get some financial relief on the $4.25 million that Garbajosa was expected to make in 2008-09, which was the last year of his three-year contract.

I don't like sounds of the "some relief". It should be a lot of relief since Garbo wanted this.

Last edited by Dr.Funk : 06-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Garbo has turned out to be a disaster signing. We also signed Fred Jones to a similar deal that offseason. Not pretty. We had $12 million of room (for once we had room!!) and we left with Fred Jones, Garbo and AP.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #26
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

The Garbo we had in his rookie season was a great signing. Too bad he had a freak injury but his desire to put the Spanish national team over the team that pays him his money and put his ability to help that team in jeaopardy is what really pissed me off.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #27
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
The Garbo we had in his rookie season was a great signing. Too bad he had a freak injury but his desire to put the Spanish national team over the team that pays him his money and put his ability to help that team in jeaopardy is what really pissed me off.

Man he was great for the Raptors that year, too bad he had that injury in March 07.

I read somewhere that Carter was upset that Jorge had his number. I bet Carter has a smile on his face.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: