Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #16
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Never trust mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
find a good mechanic you know wont jerk u and then keep goin there. my alternator was done and my friend suggested i visit his mechanic (who was also his friend).. dude tried to charge me $805. i looked around found the alternator myself and got my regular mechanic to install it. cost me $240

on another note... do you guys tip your mechanics?

Absolutely not. He should just be happy that you're sticking with him and he gets your business.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Absolutely not. He should just be happy that you're sticking with him and he gets your business.

i thought about that as well. do you tip waiters/cabbies?
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
Back In Shape
Great young streetballer

Back In Shape has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpala
Sent my car to get an oil change, and mutha fuchkas made me wait 1 hour and then told me they never had a chance to do it. Ok, I'm a reasonable guy. I left. Came back 2 days later for the appointment and they fuhcking had my car for 2 hours!! For a fuhcking oil change! Are you fuhcking kidding me? It takes 20 minutes and I could do it myself if I had the tools and willpower.

So after 2 days of driving the car around, I noticed sputtering of the engine when I turned the car on. Oil was changed, so why was it sputtering still? Car people know what I'm talking about. Anyway, yesterday the car would not start at all. Just vibrated and shut off by itself. Thought it was the battery at first, because I just changed the fuhcking oil. Turns out they had not tightened the oil filter and the whole fluid was leaking through. If I had driven more, my engine would be dead right now and I'd be out 11k.

What a bunch of fuhcking dickheads. Apparently they thought I was some sort of idiot, but I had my friend look over it and everything is done now. Maybe they thought they could probably get me to come back to check what's wrong and they would probably have charged me for a new oil filter. I don't think so.

Haven't had a chance to go back, but I plan to barge in today and throw a tantrum in front of the manager and ask for my money back. They definitely lost a whole line of customers as my whole family goes to the same place. Fuhck them. That's it for my rant.

First of all, an oil change does not cure any sputtering the car may be doing. Only a very dirty air filter that they typically replace during oil changes MIGHT help that. And if your car started up and then died, why would you suspect it was the battery? If your batteries were bad, then the car wouldn't start at all. The reason you car may have started and died was probably because a low oil sensor was kicked off. It shuts the car down to prevent damage.

However you still can't be sure that your engine wasn't effed up with it being starved of oil. There may be damage to your engine that won't rear it's ugly head for months or years. You really, REALLY screwed up by having your friend fix the car. I would have taken pictures of the loose filter and all the oil leaking out, grabbed my receipt, and marched immediately to the lube shop. I would have demanded a new engine and settled for nothing less, giving them a few days to make their best offer to resolve the situation. Chances are they would have let you have your car towed to mechanic to make sure the engine was working flawless and paid for it, or just given you some money to go away.

The next time you have your oil changed, you should ask the "mechanic" if there is any metal sticking to the magnetic drain plug. A good indication that your engine was screwed up.
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #19
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
i thought about that as well. do you tip waiters/cabbies?

Waiters I tip 20%, sometimes more, but cabbies only get a few bucks no matter what.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

Quote:
Waiters I tip 20%, sometimes more, but cabbies only get a few bucks no matter what.

ok i was wonderin if you were just cheap lol. i feel a little better about not tipping my mechanic now
Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
First of all, an oil change does not cure any sputtering the car may be doing. Only a very dirty air filter that they typically replace during oil changes MIGHT help that. And if your car started up and then died, why would you suspect it was the battery? If your batteries were bad, then the car wouldn't start at all. The reason you car may have started and died was probably because a low oil sensor was kicked off. It shuts the car down to prevent damage.

However you still can't be sure that your engine wasn't effed up with it being starved of oil. There may be damage to your engine that won't rear it's ugly head for months or years. You really, REALLY screwed up by having your friend fix the car. I would have taken pictures of the loose filter and all the oil leaking out, grabbed my receipt, and marched immediately to the lube shop. I would have demanded a new engine and settled for nothing less, giving them a few days to make their best offer to resolve the situation. Chances are they would have let you have your car towed to mechanic to make sure the engine was working flawless and paid for it, or just given you some money to go away.

The next time you have your oil changed, you should ask the "mechanic" if there is any metal sticking to the magnetic drain plug. A good indication that your engine was screwed up.

I suspected the battery at first because it wouldn't start at all. After it started we obviously knew it wasn't the battery but the oil. I never drove my car when I had no oil in it. Like I said, I just started it and it wouldn't start. It would sputter. So my friend went and got some oil for me just so I could drive home. The car was fine for a couple of hours as I went to my friend's shop and he emptied the oil and refilled it. He checked the oil filter and the engine to make sure everything was tight and that's it. The car runs really really smooth now and it has the same acceleration as before.

I couldn't afford to take pictures and go have a fight with the dealership because I had to drive to school and work. So I just fixed the car.

Again, it wasn't starved for oil as I didn't drive it anywhere when I noticed it was leaking.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
Back In Shape
Great young streetballer

Back In Shape has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
I suspected the battery at first because it wouldn't start at all. After it started we obviously knew it wasn't the battery but the oil. I never drove my car when I had no oil in it. Like I said, I just started it and it wouldn't start. It would sputter. So my friend went and got some oil for me just so I could drive home. The car was fine for a couple of hours as I went to my friend's shop and he emptied the oil and refilled it. He checked the oil filter and the engine to make sure everything was tight and that's it. The car runs really really smooth now and it has the same acceleration as before.

I couldn't afford to take pictures and go have a fight with the dealership because I had to drive to school and work. So I just fixed the car.

Again, it wasn't starved for oil as I didn't drive it anywhere when I noticed it was leaking.

Ok gotcha brother but just one thing? You forget to log back in with the other username.
Back In Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
ok i was wonderin if you were just cheap lol. i feel a little better about not tipping my mechanic now

Tell me why you think a mechanic deserves a tip?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #25
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

Quote:
Tell me why you think a mechanic deserves a tip?

i didnt say i think they deserve one.. but it is common to tip people who provide a service and there are people who tip mechanics
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #26
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Shape
Ok gotcha brother but just one thing? You forget to log back in with the other username.

? that's my other u/n... nothing to hide.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: