Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Default Re: Why can't we breathe underwater??

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I mean, you would think after millions of years of evolution and the billions who have probably drowned over time, you'd think that we would have evolved some sort of set of gills or something allowing us to breathe under water.

There is no clear evolutionary evidence that we ever did breathe underwater, so what gives?? When will our bodies evolve??
    Agreed. Same goes for gunshot wounds. I mean, with the billions that have died from them, how has the flesh of our bodies not become bulletproof over time? For evolution to be a valid theory, we should be able to survive anything that has killed a bunch if people. Why can't our bodies stop the inertia of a speeding bus yet and halt it in its tracks? Why must we be crushed by it? I mean, so many people have been killed in auto accidents, that if Darwin wasn't full of shit, we should just be able to shoulder a 10 ton vehicle out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Agreed. Same goes for gunshot wounds. I mean, with the billions that have died from them, how has the flesh of our bodies not become bulletproof over time? For evolution to be a valid theory, we should be able to survive anything that has killed a bunch if people. Why can't our bodies stop the inertia of a speeding bus yet and halt it in its tracks? Why must we be crushed by it? I mean, so many people have been killed in auto accidents, that if Darwin wasn't full of shit, we should just be able to shoulder a 10 ton vehicle out of the way.
    Our bodies do stop the inertia of a speeding bus.

OP will go out there and prove it to us.

Stupid OP is. Understand evolution, he does not.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Fuxk that underwater mess, I'm still trying to figure out how to fly. Anyone got that down yet?

Bro, why you wanna be up in the air?? There ain't nothing up there but clouds. Down in the water with the sharks and the jellyfish is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    we CAN breath underwater, we just suck at it.

from what i've read, the lungs are able to deal with a certain amount of water being present. the water gets absorbed by corpuscles in the blood stream, picking up whatever O2 is present, then gets cycled out in the usual way. problem is, the body can deal with only so much water in the lungs... then it gets overloaded.

also, every human has gill slits and a tail up to a certain part of their development in the womb:

You're giving me hopes!!!

What the ****? Don't tell me you're one of those idiots who don't believe in evolution.

Why on earth would you make a thread like this, I hope it's just a joke.

Evolution is adaptation of a gene pool to environmental conditions. We, and our ancestors (as in your mother and fother, and their mothers and fathers, etc etc etc etc etc etc) for thousands of generations have not been forced into environments where we need to breath water or die. Thus... we do not breathe under water.

Stupid ****ing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    What the ****? Don't tell me you're one of those idiots who don't believe in evolution.

Why on earth would you make a thread like this, I hope it's just a joke.

Evolution is adaptation of a gene pool to environmental conditions. We, and our ancestors (as in your mother and fother, and their mothers and fathers, etc etc etc etc etc etc) for thousands of generations have not been forced into environments where we need to breath water or die. Thus... we do not breathe under water.

Stupid ****ing thread.
    Crazy that it's ****ing 2015, and the bolded is still an issue.

That's not how evolution works bud. Don't think too hard or you'll hurt your little brain

You're giving me hopes!!!
    If you do believe in evolution do a quick google search on the hiccup phenomenon and how its associated with humans past history as aquatic mammals that could breathe under water. We apparently lost this capacity due to evolution

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    If you do believe in evolution do a quick google search on the hiccup phenomenon and how its associated with humans past history as aquatic mammals that could breathe under water. We apparently lost this capacity due to evolution

Interesting. What about yawning? Only thing I've found is a possible lack of oxygen in the brain causes us to yawn.

5-time NBA All-Star

Patrick Chewing Is An Idiot

I think everybody believe in evolution, it's just the extent of it that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I think everybody believe in evolution, it's just the extent of it that's different.

Correct. I don't know where all these nancy boys got that I was not a believer in evolution. I just want to breathe underwater, bro. Let me breathe.

Bro, why you wanna be up in the air?? There ain't nothing up there but clouds. Down in the water with the sharks and the jellyfish is where it's at.
    Nigha, do I look like SpongeBob?

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    we CAN breath underwater, we just suck at it.

from what i've read, the lungs are able to deal with a certain amount of water being present. the water gets absorbed by corpuscles in the blood stream, picking up whatever O2 is present, then gets cycled out in the usual way. problem is, the body can deal with only so much water in the lungs... then it gets overloaded.

also, every human has gill slits and a tail up to a certain part of their development in the womb:

ehhh. Do you have a source?
    I'm skeptical because o2 transport across alveolar membranes is driven by a concentration gradient. O2 dissolved in the air we breathe makes it easier for O2 to diffuse into the mucosal film covering the membrane simply because of higher concentration, O2 dissolved in water messes with this concentration gradient for obvious reasons eg lower concentrations of dissolved O2, disruption of the mucosal layer. O2 transport does not happen through the absorption of water by blood cells. It happens through passive diffusion then biochemical interactions resulting in O2 binding to hemoglobin in blood.
    Last edited by shlver; 11-11-2015 at 12:22 AM.