Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 11-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #16
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

is this thread supposed to be a joke or are you serious?
littlespyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlespyda
is this thread supposed to be a joke or are you serious?

No, I'm very serious. What part of it didn't you understand?

I think Lebron needs more rest, and I think the team needs to learn how to win without him. Where do you think the Cavs would be if they didn't have him? Bottom of the league if you ask me. They're playing like crap this year.

And don't give me that bull$hit about how they're 9-5. They lost to some pretty crappy teams and the whole East is sucking bad this year.

It was pretty nice to see them actually make a run without him though against the 76ers in... the 2nd quarter I think it was? 14-2 run.

Some people have taken this thread to extremes, trying to insinuate that I meant we need to bench him for whole games, but that's ridiculous.

It's obvious the Cavs are floundering, especially since Hughes went down. And I hear people saying that when he comes back, the Cavs will be ok again, but I didn't see him playing all that great when he was in.

He was a 20ppg scorer when we got him from Washington, but since joining the Cavs he hasn't done much of anything. I know his first season was a train wreck with his brother dying in the playoffs and a finger injury before that, but his whole career he has been an inconsistent scorer, bouncing up and down every year with his average, and we have enough inconsistency on the team.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:28 AM   #18
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

Some people have taken this thread to extremes, trying to insinuate that I meant we need to bench him for whole games, but that's ridiculous.

Mathius

Well, at first glance, until you actually explain yourself in your first post, the thread is misleading. It would have been better to just put, "I think Lebron needs more rest" or "I think Lebron needs his minutes reduced". But, whatever. Who cares. That's the purpose of reading what's IN the thread, correct people?

Anyways. You are exactly right. The Cavs are nothing without Lebron. If Lebron was not on this team, we would win 20-25 games. We would no doubt be one of the worst teams in the league.. again. This team is just a bunch of role players. Coach Brown basically can't give Lebron more rest. He's been playing 41 minutes a game since he came into the league because his teammates are either worthless or very inconsistent. And of course, playing in the summer games and doing damn commercials didn't help out with the rest factor. Fact is, Lebron needs another star player. Trade for Kevin Garnett. That would be amazing. Hughes will always be injured for as long as he is in this league. He will never be Lebron's "Pippen", ever. Even without Jordan for those two seasons, the Bulls were able to get deep into the playoffs. HA, this Cavs team would be extremely lucky to even break .500 without Lebron. Anyways, Hughes' has got the worst luck there is, and him being in a Cleveland uniform doesn't help at all. He's just barely above an average player anyway. Nothing special. He can have a huge game (such as the first game), and then completely disappear. Another star! Is what we need!!!!! That would definitely help out with Lebron getting more rest. That is the answer. Get to work, Ferry.

Last edited by nawsanenawmean : 11-27-2006 at 01:32 AM.
nawsanenawmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #19
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

speaking of things that could happen 2 make the cavs better i recommend getting just a very good high jumping bigman. hughes is absolute **** when healthy and gooden is to inconsistent, hell have 1 great game and 4 horrible ones. if i were head of the cavs i would get rid of both gooden and hughs. put varajeo (hate or love this comment but he proved himself in the world championships) in the starting line up as he is awesome and sign a good sg such as jr smith, vince carter. or if u hate that idea sign a b grade sg if getting rid of hughs and sign an awesome pf like garnett or shard lewis.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #20
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawsanenawmean
Well, at first glance, until you actually explain yourself in your first post, the thread is misleading. It would have been better to just put, "I think Lebron needs more rest" or "I think Lebron needs his minutes reduced". But, whatever. Who cares. That's the purpose of reading what's IN the thread, correct people?

Thank you. That's probably one of the most intelligent statements I've heard on this entire web site. Don't just run with a topic based on what you perceived from the heading.

"Benched" doesn't have to mean sitting the whole game. At least not where I come from.

And I agree with most of the rest of what you said except I don't see the Cavs trading for Garnett. We just don't have any talent to trade unless we get something for Hughes or start surrendering draft choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3y91
put varajeo (hate or love this comment but he proved himself in the world championships) in the starting line up as he is awesome and sign a good sg such as jr smith, vince carter. or if u hate that idea sign a b grade sg if getting rid of hughs and sign an awesome pf like garnett or shard lewis.

The Cavs have no money under the cap to sign anyone right now, and won't unless some big contracts come up this season. Damon Jones is making some outrageous number like 4 mil against the cap, Hughes is something like over 10 mil, and some of the other players are making some hefty cap numbers as well.

And we have no one of value to trade unless we start giving up our future (gibson, shannon brown, or draft choices).

My problem with putting Varejo in the lineup more is simple... The guy looks good on TV and definately hustles and has more heart than anyone else on the team, but he also averages 20 minutes per game and puts up almost nothing statistically.

Mathius
Old 11-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #21
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

Quote:
And I agree with most of the rest of what you said except I don't see the Cavs trading for Garnett. We just don't have any talent to trade unless we get something for Hughes or start surrendering draft choices.

Mathius

Yeah, it would be a challenge to get KG. Who knows if he is even on the block. I know McHale has said before he is not. I know KG is very unhappy and just wants to win and more than likely wants out. I read a good article just recently. It was purely speculation, but it was good. Talking about how we could get KG. It was basically take your pick between Sasha, Anderson, Gibson, Brown, Hughes, Gooden, a first rounder or two. Yet, there's so many teams that could use KG that have a good level of talent as well. Bulls, Lakers, etc. I dunno. Somehow, someway, we've got to find an all-star to play along side Lebron. That'll get us to the highest level possible and Cleveland will finally be celebrating some championships. While I think we can still win with this squad just because Lebron is a beast on so many levels, it's going to be much, much tougher to do so.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #22
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

all i know is the main players to get rid of are gooden and hughes. hughes let me say is plain horrible he had one good season with the wizards was thought to become better, ended up injured and now cavs are paying alot of moolah for a guy who does nothing for the cavs. sure at the beginning of last season hughes and bron looked like an awesome tag team but hughes just sits out 2 much and is very injury prone.
gooden needs to be traded, taken out or released of his contract as he brings nothing for the cavs.
heres a good point i want to show. a few weeks ago i was watching a cavs vs spurs game. i think these were the statistics for the first quater, and it was pretty much like this all game.
first quater: lebron shooting 6 of 7
rest of players shooting 2-9
these stats show something must be done.
but then again lebron is an animal which can carry a team. hell be in the eastern conference finals for sure.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #23
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3y91
all i know is the main players to get rid of are gooden and hughes. hughes let me say is plain horrible he had one good season with the wizards was thought to become better, ended up injured and now cavs are paying alot of moolah for a guy who does nothing for the cavs. sure at the beginning of last season hughes and bron looked like an awesome tag team but hughes just sits out 2 much and is very injury prone.
gooden needs to be traded, taken out or released of his contract as he brings nothing for the cavs.
heres a good point i want to show. a few weeks ago i was watching a cavs vs spurs game. i think these were the statistics for the first quater, and it was pretty much like this all game.
first quater: lebron shooting 6 of 7
rest of players shooting 2-9
these stats show something must be done.
but then again lebron is an animal which can carry a team. hell be in the eastern conference finals for sure.

I don't disagree with you, I just don't see it happen. Danny Ferry was praised for his GM skills a year ago, and look what we're seeing now.

Lets review:

Mike Brown, resigned after one season. A season that he took them to the second round of the playoffs, mostly due to Lebron, since Brown abandoned the offense in almost EVERY game in the playoffs in the second half. Now he's busy ruining our rookies with spurratic minutes and surprise starts, as well as screwing our lineups on a regular basis, and playing crappy players (Wesley, DJ) in an effort to justify signing them in the first place. Every announcer in the league was talking about how Lebron was playing 47 minutes during the playoffs. Every announcer in the league was talking about Lebron in the USA games, and how hard it was to give up his summer to play. Now how many minutes is he having to average? 42?

Damon Jones signed. The best thing he's ever done for us is hit a couple of wide open threes. Definately not worth the 4 mil he's making against the cap to pay for a Steve Kerr (and definately not as good as Steve Kerr).

David Wesley. Good idea to sign a guy who was wanting to retire, right? He's got a real desire to win. Need I mention his 1-13 start to the season, but Brown still opted to start him when Hughes went out?

Drew Gooden. Face it guys, we're stuck with him. He is today's Elden Campbell, but to us Cavs fans, he might as well be Danny Ferry. We're going to eat his contract for the next 3 years, because no one else in the league is going to touch him.

Lets not forget letting go Robert Traylor, Jeff McInnis, and Flip Murray. Who did we sign to replace them? DJ, Wesley, and Alan Henderson/Scott Pollard. Nice. (that's sarcasm if you didn't get it)

Mathius
Old 11-28-2006, 09:08 PM   #24
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

sure Lebron gets a lot of minutes, but hes young and has the stamina to play like this. They obviously cant score without him. Hes like AI, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson (all putting up a lot of MPG) these guys can fight through it and all are the leading players for their teams, especially in AIs case, not to mention having virtually no offensive backup (closest thing is probably Iggy ). You take away Lebron and you take away 80% of the teams offensive game. On another note, I dont necessarily think he was complaining about his playing time in the quote you have by him, rather the combinations, balance the offence and defence better and such.
lebron_zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #25
statman32
NBA Legend

lol great idea bench lebron...how bout just make a trade for some players that fit around him
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM   #26
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebron_zoom
sure Lebron gets a lot of minutes, but hes young and has the stamina to play like this. They obviously cant score without him. Hes like AI, Michael Redd and Joe Johnson (all putting up a lot of MPG) these guys can fight through it and all are the leading players for their teams, especially in AIs case, not to mention having virtually no offensive backup (closest thing is probably Iggy ). You take away Lebron and you take away 80% of the teams offensive game. On another note, I dont necessarily think he was complaining about his playing time in the quote you have by him, rather the combinations, balance the offence and defence better and such.

I love your defense here. Lebron's young. He can handle it. He won't get hurt. Tell it to Tracy McGrady or Kobe Bryant for that matter. Both High School draftees, both having miserable seasons because of injuries. Kevin Garnett on the other hand, was brought in slow, and plays reasonable minutes (only twice in his career did he go over a 40 minute average, and never reached 41) and is having a hell of a career, pretty much injury free except for one year early in his career.

Oh, and the second part is classic. They can't score without him, so we have to leave him in. No crap. What do you think we've been talking about. That doesn't make it the right answer. The whole point is making them ABLE TO win without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
lol great idea bench lebron...how bout just make a trade for some players that fit around him
I love these two dorks jumping in without reading the rest of the thread. We just talked about how the Cavs have no trade value and this genius suggests we trade to get players around Lebron.

Read the whole thread before you open your mouth people. Maybe something intelligent will come out.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 11-29-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #27
statman32
NBA Legend

excuse me no trade value

drew gooden, varajao, marshall and snow are are players other teams might want
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #28
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
excuse me no trade value

drew gooden, varajao, marshall and snow are are players other teams might want

No, they're not. If Gooden had trade value, we wouldn't have resigned him in the first place, we'd have done a sign and trade. They shopped him all summer long.

Marshall is at the end of his career and so is snow. No one wants them, or more specifically their salary numbers. Varejo might have value, but again, he contributes almost nothing statistically, so that is doubtful.

Mathius
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #29
Mathius

Anyone watch the game vs. the Bobcats? The announcers said Lebron had himself pulled out of the game in the 2nd quarter. He needed a break. The Plain Dealer yesterday did a story about how tired Lebron's been on the court, putting up only 15 points against the Hornets.

It begins.

Mathius
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #30
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

I watched the game. A win is a win even if a not so pretty win against the Boobiecats. Anyways, I didn't hear about all that about Lebron being tired, but I figured he was tired. He isn't taking over games like his usual self and his jumper is just wayyy off. His stamina is low. I hope Hughes can stay healthy and play strong, he helps.

Quote:
It begins.

Mathius

The curse continues...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: