Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT

Default California city will remove gender terms, including "manhole" and "manmade"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ber...from-city-code

Quote:
Gender-inclusive restrooms and have become more and more common across the country.

Now, the city of Berkeley is taking it a step further.

The city is removing gender-specific words in its municipal code. It will cost the city about $600 to make the changes. The Berkeley City Council unanimously passed the measure to replace more than two dozen commonly used terms on Tuesday.

It will switch words like “he” and “she” to “they” and “them” in the city code. “Manholes” will be changed to “maintenance holes” and references to manmade will be changed to “artificial.”

Councilman Rigel Robinson, a 23-year-old recent graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, sponsored the ordinance. He tweeted, in part: “There is power in language. It’s a small move, but it matters.”

Berkeley City Manager Dee Williams-Ridley wrote in a memorandum to council, “In recent years, broadening societal awareness of transgender and gender-nonconforming identities has brought to light the importance of non-binary gender inclusivity.”

Terms like fraternity or sorority will be changed to “collegiate Greek system residence.” Other terms that will be changed include pregnant woman or women. It will be switched to pregnant employees. Brothers and sisters will be switched to sibling.

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: California city will remove gender terms, including "manhole" and "manmade"

My alma mater UNC doesn't use the term Freshman any more because it's not gender neutral. They call those students First Year now. SMH
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
SomeBlackDude
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: California city will remove gender terms, including "manhole" and "manmade"

polling says 100% of respondents agree

actual news we should be talking about-

Quote:
House passes bill to hike the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour

The House passed a bill Thursday to hike the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour in a win for liberal activists who have long pushed to give low-wage workers a raise.

The Democratic-held chamber passed the plan in a 231-199 vote. Six Democrats opposed it, while three Republicans supported it.

The measure would gradually hike the U.S. pay floor to $15 by 2025, then index further hikes to median wage growth. It would also phase out lower minimum wage paid to tipped workers.

House Democrats view the legislation as a core piece of their agenda to boost pay and economic growth. As President Donald Trump runs for reelection in 2020, the party argues strong economic growth and a roaring stock market have not done enough to lift the workers who most need relief.

i assume the senate, and maga if it reaches that level, will put the kibosh on this.

thots?

SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Levity
NBA sixth man of the year

definitely sounds like berkeley
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levity
definitely sounds like berkeley

What gets me is that it was all started by some young pipsqueak fresh out of college who thinks they are "woke".
Old 07-18-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
What gets me is that it was all started by some young pipsqueak fresh out of college who thinks they are "woke".

I wonder if they/them was a his/herstory major?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
SomeBlackDude
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing

damn, one young buck changed an entire city. singlehandedly?

what a time.

to be.

alive.

SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Patrick Chewing
VOTE BREXIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Old 07-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul

Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

I'm with getting rid of the word manhole from the our vocabulary, sounds gay af.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
macmac
Gov'n

I feel like woman hole and woman maid would be redundant tho no?
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Vino24
Consensus, Cemented

but they were manmade
Vino24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
coin24
NBA Superstar

It's just hilarious at this point, see how far this stupidity can go
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
Vino24
Consensus, Cemented

**** it. Lets make it a law that only women can be the president, construction workers, Engineers, Oil workers, Scientists, Doctors, Plumbers. Lets see what they can do
Vino24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 AM   #15
Dunaprenti
Not airballing my layups anymore

This is much worse:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...l-14102242.php

Natural gas is much more cleaner than electricity. Not to mention that California is mainly powered by plants running on.... natural gas
Dunaprenti is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: