Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Banned

Default Re: Rick Adelman will make Kevin Love a perennial all star.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    I watch more games than most of this board and I live in Australia.
    And if this were a rugby forum, that might matter.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    I watch more games than most of this board and I live in Australia.
    ohh no wonder you're so misinformed about the Clippers

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
    ohh no wonder you're so misinformed about the Clippers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I agree though. Love= NOT a number 1 option. That being said.. contribution wise he can be a star for sure. His impact can improve. The reason Love isn't a first option is that he doesn't have the mentality.
    no it's because he isn't that good of a scorer.

Nobody wants a 1 option that can't create scoring opportunities for himself or others.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAssassin
    no it's because he isn't that good of a scorer.

Nobody wants a 1 option that can't create scoring opportunities for himself or others.
    This is by far the most popular opinion, and those that disagree haven't seen enough of Love play. Case in point, he can't create his own shot and he is a defensive liability. Those facts alone make him a glorified role player in my mind.

Can he pass? Sure. But what's the point of that if you don't draw double teams? Is he the best rebounder in the league? probably. But that alone doesn't offset his glaring weaknesses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    This is by far the most popular opinion, and those that disagree haven't seen enough of Love play. Case in point, he can't create his own shot and he is a defensive liability. Those facts alone make him a glorified role player in my mind.

Can he pass? Sure. But what's the point of that if you don't draw double teams? Is he the best rebounder in the league? probably. But that alone doesn't offset his glaring weaknesses.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by DFish
    Being able to download game records doesn't make you a fan though. Which NBA team did your father follow? How many home games have you been to? Did you have good seats, bad seats? How often did you and your family watch the NBA when you were a child? Do you talk about the NBA with your friends and coworkers in Ireland? Do you all go to bars, or pubs as it were, to watch the NBA finals every year? Any betting take place? Fantasy basketball?

I can probably download every Manchester United game. But if I have no personal connection with the team or the sport itself, why would I?
    wait a second. let me try follow you argument here;

first you say my opinion on basketball isnt valid because i dont live in america

then you qualify that statement by saying that i couldnt be a fan because nba games arent broadcasted in ireland.

then you change your tune all together, saying that i have to go to games and watch basketball with others for my opinion on basketball to be valid.

what does any of that have to do with understanding basketball?

i watch a ton of basketball. i discuss it with friends and here on this board, i read about basketball, i play basketball, i need nothing to undersatnd basketball that i dont have access to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    wait a second. let me try follow you argument here;

first you say my opinion on basketball isnt valid because i dont live in america

then you qualify that statement by saying that i couldnt be a fan because nba games arent broadcasted in ireland.

then you change your tune all together, saying that i have to go to games and watch basketball with others for my opinion on basketball to be valid.

what does any of that have to do with understanding basketball?

i watch a ton of basketball. i discuss it with friends and here on this board, i read about basketball, i play basketball, i need nothing to undersatnd basketball that i dont have access to.
    No, I said that you can't be considered a genuine NBA fan because you have no real personal connection to the sport, the league, or any team within it. When you first decided to become a "fan," how did you choose your team? You probably chose whichever one you felt like choosing, right? That isn't fanhood. It's bandwagoning/fairweather at best, but in your case, you're not even at that level because you don't even live in the country that has the NBA. I highly doubt you can name 3 people that you personally know in Ireland who follow the NBA. Being a real NBA fan is following the team your father followed, watching and going to games as a child, etc.

Do you think I could suddenly become a genuine soccer and EPL league fan? Honest question. If I, an American with no connection to the EPL to speak of, suddenly declared my loyalty to Manchester United, how would you react? How would real United fans living in England react? That's my point. I can understand the game of soccer, I can download all the United games I find, I can post on Manchester United/EPL forums... but that doesn't make me a real EPL fan.

I don't fully agree that you literally can't be a fan from another country but I do agree with a good amount of it. Most diehards are born into our grow up around the team. I grew up in LA/OC around a family of Lakers fans and I got annoyed with them so I started listening to Ralph Lawler's broadcasts of the Clippers games as a kid all the time and got hooked on my team.

With only downloaded/streamed games and no personal connection to a team it would definitely be very hard to be a fan of a team as much as somebody that's been around it their entire lives.

No, I said that you can't be considered a genuine NBA fan because you have no real personal connection to the sport, the league, or any team within it. When you first decided to become a "fan," how did you choose your team? You probably chose whichever one you felt like choosing, right? That isn't fanhood. It's bandwagoning/fairweather at best, but in your case, you're not even at that level because you don't even live in the country that has the NBA. I highly doubt you can name 3 people that you personally know in Ireland who follow the NBA. Being a real NBA fan is following the team your father followed, watching and going to games as a child, etc.
    i was born in ohio, so when i first started following the nba, i gravitated towards the cavs, and i have stuck with them ever since.

i play on a basketball team, so i know plenty of people interested in basketball.

Do you think I could suddenly become a genuine soccer and EPL league fan? Honest question. If I, an American with no connection to the EPL to speak of, suddenly declared my loyalty to Manchester United, how would you react? How real United fans living in England react? That's my point. I can understand the game of soccer, I can download all the United games I find, I can post on Manchester United/EPL forums... but that doesn't make me a real EPL fan.
    i sorta understand where you are coming from, but i still disagree, i dont think living near a team, or inheriting fanhood from your parents, makes your fanhood any more legitimate.

irregardless, we are getting completely off topic.

i said that the poster BGriffin's Dad cant be taken seriously on what he says about griffin. then you said;

Says the guy who doesn't even live in the U.S.
    you said my opinion on the nba wasnt valid because i wasnt from america.

you could question my fandom, because of where i live, but not my understanding and knowledge of the game. and thats what you did.

you didnt question my loyalty or legitimacy as a fan of my team, you questioned my knowledge of the game.

With only downloaded/streamed games and no personal connection to a team it would definitely be very hard to be a fan of a team as much as somebody that's been around it their entire lives.
    define personal connection

define personal connection
    Compare the difference between a local relationship between a girlfriend.. and a long distance one and you'll understand. Some people do fine with long distance relationships but it can never quite match being around each other all the time.

You downloading games and watching online isn't the same as being around the local news, buzz of the town and going to games at least a handful of times a year. Not to mention we run into our star players so that makes it a lot more personal. Guys like Kobe and Griffin can be see at local shopping malls, beaches etc. I have personally met Ralph Lawler for example.

You downloading games and watching online isn't the same as being around the local news, buzz of the town and going to games at least a handful of times a year. Not to mention we run into our star players so that makes it a lot more personal. Guys like Kobe and Griffin can be see at local shopping malls, beaches etc. I have personally met Ralph Lawler for example.
    i really disagree.

for one, many avid fans dont have the money to go to games, and font live in affluent areas where they would bump inot millionaire athletes.

as for news, obviously that is accessible over the internet.

and 'buzz' well, thats pretty hard to define as well.

heres a question though, if you, for whatever arbitrary reason, had to move away from LA, and you couldnt attend games, bump into players, or feel the 'buzz' around the team, would that make you less of a clippers fan?

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

leave your crappy blazer and clipper players out of this

i really disagree.

for one, many avid fans dont have the money to go to games, and font live in affluent areas where they would bump inot millionaire athletes.

as for news, obviously that is accessible over the internet.

and 'buzz' well, thats pretty hard to define as well.

heres a question though, if you, for whatever arbitrary reason, had to move away from LA, and you couldnt attend games, bump into players, or feel the 'buzz' around the team, would that make you less of a clippers fan?
    If I started as a fan and moved it's way different than becoming a fan from 3,000 miles away. Either way as I said... I don't fully agree you CAN'T become a true fan... just that the chances are much slimmer.