Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
darkofan
Banned

Default Darko a stud against Argentina but chokes in crunch time

We (Serbia) lost four points after leading most of the game...

In a tight finish, Milicic missed an easy basket and turned the ball over respectively. You can't blame him though, for he was the youngest guy on the court at 21 and his older teammates were hiding from the ball and also made turnovers...

But:

Darko had 24 pts, 11 rebs and 5 blocks (I can't find the official statistics of the game, but that's more or less it). He scored at will, altering 15-20 footers, fadeaways and baby hooks, with one powerful dunk over the whole defense after an offensive rebound. What's more, he contested every shot of the Argentinians and changed at least half a dozen of them. He blocked Manu twice, so Ginobili wasn't able to score on any single of his mad penetrations. On one occasion, he blocked Ginobili and Scola THREE TIMES in one possession (first Manu, then Scola twice - the refs robbed us for Scola fell down with the ball in his hands - travelling, but they called a foul).

Someone should teach Darko how to channel his offensive skills. Again, he played more like a power forward than a center. The shots were falling, but I wonder if he can get consistant on them. He needs to move closer to the basket and exploit his size and strenght. He needs a tutor, a mentor, whatever. Tonights blunders in money time should help him get more humble, he probably thought he was at the top of the world after blocking and scaring the Argentinians away on every other possession.

When I compare him to Dwight, he is way more polished. Dwight is a beast and is more effective downlow, but his game does not translate well in international ball. It's a good thing they play together so they can make up for each other's defficiencies. Darko lacks help downlow playing for Serbia - we could have used this piece of **** sissy Krstic, who decline to play "because he had to rest prior to a contract year". He's 23 years old and he had two months rest before the preparations and he's afraid of injuries!? Darko also faces a contract year.

Anyway, someone said that Joe D is dumb to have traded Darko. I agree, now they have an aging team and they lost Big Ben... Dumb move. They should play Delfino more, he killed us tonight with 4-4 from downtown...
darkofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
kumquat
College superstar

Nice report, Darko is still a work in progress. Kinda sad to see him sitting on the bench in Detroit for so long. It would be nice to see him punk Ben and Rasheed in the upcoming season when they meet.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Nice report, Darko is still a work in progress. Kinda sad to see him sitting on the bench in Detroit for so long. It would be nice to see him punk Ben and Rasheed in the upcoming season when they meet.

I'm looking forward to seeing that. I never understood why Darko got next to no playing time in Detroit. He's definitely shown promise in Orlando and now in the worlds...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
niko
I Run NY.

I love when this board says Darko is more polished than Dwight. Dwight plays hard every night every position. Darko plays hard like 60% of the time. Darko floats on offense often in Orlando last year. He's not in any particular position. Dwight is not like that. I'm glad Darko looks good as the featured player on a substandard team, but he's not going to be on that team during the NBA season.

The difference between Dwight Howard's upside and Darko's upside is night and day. I don't get the comparisons' Dwight is better now, will be better tommorrow, and better 5 years, 10 years from now.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofan
When I compare him to Dwight, he is way more polished. Dwight is a beast and is more effective downlow, but his game does not translate well in international ball. It's a good thing they play together so they can make up for each other's defficiencies. Darko lacks help downlow playing for Serbia - we could have used this piece of **** sissy Krstic, who decline to play "because he had to rest prior to a contract year". He's 23 years old and he had two months rest before the preparations and he's afraid of injuries!? Darko also faces a contract year.

Where does this bull**** that being a post player means your game does not translate to international ball come from? Just because most big men in international ball can shoot does not mean that a primarily post playing big man in international competition can't dominate. More polished or not in the US or FIBA play Dwight is just better than Darko. Have you seen how Dwight outjumps, and outquicks the competition everytime he has the ball, as well as changes any shot of anybody in about a 5 foot radius of him on D? Put Dwight on the Serbia and Montenegro team where he gets to be teh go to guy instead of a role player and I guarantee he dominates, and you can say that for any player on the US team.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I think the reason why people say Darko is "more polished" than Dwight is because he has a better, more expansive skill set. They're just two different players. Dwight is the brute and Darko is the finesse.

Dwight Howard is going to be, and in some ways already is, a major force in this league. Only 20 years old as well. Scary.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Dwight is the brute and Darko is the finesse.

sweet thing is, they both play for the same team. you just have to wonder what if both develop as expected.

anyway, nice read darkofan. despite he choked in crunch time, hopefully darko can gain some much needed confidence and translate that to the nba. and as mentioned above, maybe darko's biggest flaw is that he doesn't seems to be trying hard all the time (at least when playing in the NBA).
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

sorry but Dwight's offensive game is not that good from what i've seen. great rebounder and good defender, but he doesnt seem to have post moves and still doesnt use his athleticism as well as he could/should (ive seen too many times in this tourney where he goes up and gets fouled and doesnt even come close to getting an And1. he needs to go up like Shaq)
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
LakerzFan4Life
Decent playground baller

Orlando is going to have a scary team:
PG: Nelson
SG: Redick
SF: Turkoglu
PF: Howard
C: Millicic
LakerzFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #10
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Orlando will be pretty scary next year but they have the worst wing situation in the league. Maybe ever, actually. Seems like every team has 4 starting quality wing players and Orlando has 0.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #11
The Mamba
High School Starter

Orlando has a squad. I REALLY like their squad. Unselfish distrubting PG, Reddick can hit jumpers all day long, Turkoglu, and of course Dwight and Donnie Darko.
The Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: