Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: George Karl (?) Named Coach of the Year

How Thibs isn't coach of the year is beyond me.

What a joke

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    How Thibs isn't coach of the year is beyond me.

What a joke
    The guy has half of his players in the infirmary with the Ebola virus.

Wow. Surprising.

I thought it was going to Mark Jackson or Vogel.

There are a lot of guys right now who aren't great coaches, but who are good coaches, and whose teams surprised everyone. Karl is one of them, and is probably the best coach of the bunch, but Jackson, Vogel, Thibs, Hollins, and Woodson all could have won it.

I guess the voting took place before Denver's utter collapse in the playoffs.

For those saying Thibs without any regard for how good a coach he actually is, simply because that chicago group overachieved without their star: All Thibs did is get his guys injured by playing them too much. That team was led by its spirited players like Noah and Boozer outworking the opposition. They would have done that with anyone at the helm.
    Last edited by Clifton; 05-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. NBA
    Lionel Hollins had a midseason trade that brought in 3 new rotation players while trading ther leading scorer. People say Memphis was fhrough. Some experts had Denver as a top 4 seed anyway so its not ike he exceeded expectations.
    Who had us top 4?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Wow. Surprising.

I thought it was going to Mark Jackson or Vogel.

There are a lot of guys right now who aren't great coaches, but who are good coaches, and whose teams surprised everyone. Karl is one of them, and is probably the best coach of the bunch, but Jackson, Vogel, Thibs, Hollins, and Woodson all could have won it.

I guess the voting took place before Denver's utter collapse in the playoffs.

For those saying Thibs without any regard for how good a coach he actually is, simply because that chicago group overachieved without their star: All Thibs did is get his guys injured by playing them too much. That team was led by its spirited players like Noah and Boozer outworking the opposition. They would have done that with anyone at the helm.
    You're an idiot. Do you think players would play that hard for a guy like VDN or Spol?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

They wouldn't have done it in the west though. Karl did what he did in the much superior conference. Chicago would be in the lottery if they were in the west.

Well deserved.

57 wins with no superstar, 15 game winning streak and 3rd seed in the West. Well deserved

I hope this means Denver are stuck with Karl for a few more years

Local High School Star ChrisKreager's Avatar

It's a regular season award, not playoffs. Go back to 2010- Scott Brooks got the award on an 8 seed team, but I'm sure some of you would have been saying give it to Doc Rivers for what he did in the playoffs.

Thibodeau had some nights where Chicago got blown out of the building- Chicago's regular season can't just magically be forgotten just because of the playoffs. They were a 5 seed because they had really bad nights.

If anything, I'm more dissappointated with McHale not even in the top 5.

Do people watch games? How many people watch the Nuggets day in and day out and say "wow George Karl is really responsible for this team's success". Basically reporters decided Denver overachieved (based on apparently their low expectations). I'm not saying Karl shouldn't be in the top few based on the regular season (although it's a stretch) but he's not the best. How could you call him the best?

This "Denver has no star" has been incorrectly interperted as "Denver has no elite players". They have a shitload of talent, it's just not concentrated. His rotations suck, he always has players underachieving as much as he has those overachieving, and the Denver fans often complain about defense, etc.

He's not the reason they were good, and he shouldn't be coach of the year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by (e)

It's obvious now, that Thibs deserves it though. Pop and Thibs are the best coaches in the league.

Adelman and Carlisle are both in that top tier as well.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Just ridiculous. They were sort of name dropping him for this award all season, so it's no surprise right now. But when you look at it realistically, there's probable 5 guys more deserving.

Love Live Life

I don't think he deserves this award at all. I would've given it to Thibs or Pop. The Bulls are in the 2nd round of the playoffs and playing they are meant to be there and they don't have any stars or superstars. That's all coaching. Just look at the D they play. Nate said it in an post game interview they play how the coach act.(not exactly what he said but close) The Nuggets are a home team. They can't win without being in Denver. The NBA is a joke with these awards.