Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Banned

Default Re: East asian exchange students - your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by pinhead
    Polish people don't work harder, it is a myth.

I have worked with Polish people in the past and most were very lazy and extremely arrogant. I no longer have to, thank god.

None of them like or respect England. They even used to say this. They stay in their pack and talk Polish to each other even when they are around English people which is very rude.

The Polish women used to sleep with management to get ahead and promotion. They were as bad, if not worse, than English girls for sluttyness. They just had a way of hiding it.

I don't like to tar them all the same brush. There were the odd one who was decent.
    Im telling you the ones I know in my university in my course work extremely hard. Ones I know outside of uni work ridiculous hours. This is just people I know, in comparison to all the english who refuse to work minimum wage jobs.

Of course not all Polish work hard and not all English are lazy.

Lol what happened to this thread?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimilian
    Really not sure how much you know about World War 2 history after that comment.......

Educate yourself. Jasenovac was the only nazi death camp not run by Germans in all of Europe and it was run by Serbs. The Serbian government organized its own deathcamps and work camps to suck up to the Nazis. Only 17% of Serbian Jews survived the Holocaust and an SS officer is quoted as saying Serbia was the only country that the "Jew and Gypsy problem" was truly solved.

I question what you know about WWII history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasenov...entration_camp

In 1942, Commander of the Serbian Gestapo said "Serbien ist judenfrei."

Serbs also invented their own knife specifically for killing Jews and gypsies, called the Srbosjek aka Serb-cutter.

You have alot to learn about history, sport.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 04-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    So basically it sounds like some Asian exchange students got themselves a maid when they moved in with the OP.

And the reason they seem socially awkward to you is because they tend not to socialize with the help
    This.

Please remember that you are dealing with East Asian EXCHANGE students. Students who go on a costly exchange in Europe so far from home for a semester or a year are likely to be rich spoiled brats who lived a pampered life. They probably have maids and servants at home and never washed anything in their lives ever.

This does not mean East Asian people are slobs. You can find many spoiled white brats around too.

The responsible students will be saving up for the future, for their marriage, to buy a home, further education...etc rather than blow tens of thousands to spend a year away from home in a foreign land. You aren't meeting any of these people.

High School Starter

Here's a little bit of the situation from my perspective. A little bit of background; I go to ta large university (main campus/state school, etc.). Due to that, we have a lot of foreign students coming to study, visit for a semester, etc. etc. In addition, being in the engineering school, I am even more exposed to people like this. Furthermore, I also moved into the co-op on the engineering campus for this semester due to certain circumstances. Although it's not really the typical co-op (hardcore druggies, etc.), it's just FILLED with foreign exchange students since they're very flexible when it comes to contracts.

There are two types of foreign students (and I speak on the part of mostly eastern Asian people as the OP also pointed out, I'll get to other ethnicities in a bit); the ones that try to fit in, and the ones that just do not give a rats ass about other people. I don't know the background for each type of these people, but, for the most part, all of these people are from relatively wealthy backgrounds, as they can afford to come here in the first place.

So let's begin the dissection with the students that try to fit in:

These people, like those that don't try to fit in, come from wealthy backgrounds. Although they may or may not eventually move here, they understand that we have a completely different culture. Rather than completely ignore these differences, they want to see what these cultures are like, and want to experience a different culture for themselves. This means trying new things, reaching out to people of different ethnicities, and learning English as best as possible. A lot of these people are jaded against the east asian culture of "study study study," and kind of want to break out of that lifestyle that they hated when growing up. By the time their sophomore year rolls around, they've usually got a decent group of diverse individuals. It may have taken them a while to break out of their eas-asian mindset, they made it a point to at least immerse themselves in a new culture and try new things out. They're usually fairly clean (depending on person), respectful of others privacy, and quiet when necessary.

2nd type of east asians (this is about 85% of them [no sources to cite, just general observations])

These are the type of people that come here preconditioned about their thoughts on Americans. Due to their upbringing, they only know the idea of 'study,' and they look down on those that don't constantly study. In addition, they hate the very thought of the American culture. They've been brought up to hate the entire culture of 'glamour,' getting drunk, and just generally, not studying their entire lives. Due to social obligations of grades being vastly important, these people spend a lot of time studying, and will do whatever it takes to get the best grade. This includes cheating on tests (Seriously, asian people cheat on tests more than normal people), etc. It's not that they're bad people, but the social obligation probably takes a toll large enough that they feel the need to cheat. In addition to cheating on tests, these people are usually out to cheat the system in any possible way. This includes finding loopholes in contracts, or, not doing the dishes if nobody tells them to (my suite is mostly asian and it's disgusting as @$*(&. Not only do they not clean on a daily basis, they did not participate on our once-a-semester all-house clean day). Socially, they make no effort to befriend people not of their ethnicity. Although this is a very negative paragraph, I can't blame them entirely; the social stigmas with which they grew up plays a large role on their actions, and, culture shock is definitely another factor into why they do not want to branch out. You can't really 'blame' them, so to speak.

As far as other ethnicities of asians (Indians/Pakistanis/others);

They're social. Although they not have many close friends that are not of their ethnicity, they can, and will, make conversation with you. However, the one stipulation on this is that they're usually trying to ask you for a favor (read: "take advantage of you"). They try to keep to themselves if they can. These people, are, like eastern asians, usually trying to game the system. A lot of times they're lazy, and won't do work if they can get away with not doing it.

Infact the ethnic groups who suffered the most during World War 2 in Europe were the Poles, Russians, Jews and the Serbs. But of cors you dont learn that history in the west. You dont learn about the 25 million dead Russians, the 20 million dead Chinese, the 15 million dead Indonesians, 6 million dead Poles etc. You think World War 2 was only about the Holocaust of the Jews!
    You sound indoctrinated against the west.

Obviously basic history education in Europe deals with mostly relevant domestic history, with a touch of basic world history. This is the same everywhere on the planet, domestic history comes first.

Nowhere in the world do they teach history more uncensored and impartial than in much of what you describe as "the west" though. You don't find other countries educating their youth on the atrocities committed by their own families as vigourously and truthfully as they do in Germany.

No reply Nick Young?

For every German soldier that was killed in Yugoslavia during world war two, the Nazis would murder 100 Serbian civilians. This was the case even if it was Communist Croats/Muslims/Sloveneans (Who were against the Nazis) that did the killings. The Germans only massacred Serbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kragujevac_massacre

Infact the ethnic groups who suffered the most during World War 2 in Europe were the Poles, Russians, Jews and the Serbs. But of cors you dont learn that history in the west. You dont learn about the 25 million dead Russians, the 20 million dead Chinese, the 15 million dead Indonesians, 6 million dead Poles etc. You think World War 2 was only about the Holocaust of the Jews!

Serbs and Jews even today have great a great relationship because of the persecution we suffered together during the War. My brother and I are named after two Jewish brothers who faught against the Nazis in Croatia before both being murdered in concentration camps.
    You are new here, so you might not know, Nick Young is an ignorant ill-educated asshole. Either ignore him or just laugh off his stupidity and ignorance.

Banned

My grandmother's family had to leave Serbia in the 1880s because their village got burned down by a pogrom. So my whole life she would always tell me bad things about Serbians. She didn't even live their, she was born in the US, just her grandparents were, but she still hated Serbia. And she'd always tell me Jasenovac and how the serbs volunteered to put it there and ran it better then any nazi death camp.

And yes we never learned this in school, so all I knew was what my grandma told me. Guess it was from a biased view. Thanks for telling me this stuff. I WAS WRONG AND IGNORANT. I won't make this mistake of calling out Serbs again.

But yeh, no one thinks of the holocaust as only against the Jews. In Hebrew school growing up they ALWAYS stress the poles, gypsies, homosexuals and communists and freemasons were also murdered. You're right, serbs are rarely mentioned. My Hebrew school too had a bad opinion of the Serbs. Wonder why, apparently according to you and other things I've been reading Jews and serbs used to get on really well.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 04-16-2013 at 04:57 AM.

I usually hit open layups

@N Young

Don't worry about this Serbian propaganda. They have been doing it for years. Their dream was to make Big Serbia and they have this saying Serbia to Tokyo. They made a lot of crimes in the past and my family had to get out of village before Serbs burnt it down.

During Yugoslavia days they would take most of the money from all republics to themselves. That led to break-up of the country.

They got defeated again in the Homeland War by Croatians who in the beginning did not have access to weapons. in 1999 they got bombarded by the NATO forces. That's when their dreams of big country started to fall apart. Afterwards they lost Montenegro as part of their country. Nowadays Kosovo does not want to be dictated by the government from Belgrade. Vojvodina is also close to actually start debating about its own independence.

The funny thing is that most of the Serbs will tell you how everyone is against them and everything is conspiracy. They will tell you they are the best country in the world and that nobody can beat them at anything.

Most of their generals have been apprehended and sentenced for crimes of ethnic cleaning of Croats and Muslims in the Bosnian region.

Most of Croatian generals have been freed recently and the Homeland War was declared as official war in which Croatia had the right to defend itself and its people.

When I lived in the States I found a lot of Serbs or ex Chetniks who fled Serbia. In the US they are even bigger nationalists than Serbs in Serbia. They have these big parties where they pride themselves on how big nationalists they are. In reality they do not even know what is going on in Serbia today and how economically ****e* up it is.

Crazy people I tell ya.

I did not say that Croatia was perfect. I am not proud of Ustasha history my country had. I have to tell you not all Croatians were Ustasha.

Nowadays Ustasha and their followers are looked upon as people living in the past and dreaming of something that does not exist. Wearing Ustasha symbols is not permitted in Croatia.

I wonder is it same for Chetniks and Serbia? My grandma's village was burnt during the WWII.

I know about Jews and the Ottoman Empire. That were also hard times for people on these lands. For example kids would be taken from their mothers in Croatia, Serbia and taught muslim religion. Some of them were the best warriors Turks ever had.

You and me know history is really hard to tell in this region. Even our historians can't get a long with a lot of facts.

I was mainly speaking about Serbian state of mind that seems to never change. That is only bad for you guys. We have been neighbors for so many years, we married your girls and you guys married our girls. Your and my people went to universities all across Croatia and Serbia.

We accepted the European Union and its values. I sincerely hope you guys will someday too. For that to happen you have to change and you have to say sorry for all the wrongs you did in the past (I am especially talking about the Homeland War).

You guys see that even the International Community is not buying your stories and excuses.

When those positive things happen then in some near future maybe we can build Europe together and not just the Balkans!

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Sometimes people care less about being dirty than you care about being clean. If you genuinely care about every space being clean - like is going to be hell until you have enough money to purchase your own space.

Yes it is banned by the law. I can assure you most of the people who wore those kind of symbols had to pay a fine or were imprisoned.

I am sorry that some of them get away with it.

I could do the same for you guys; google pictures of you guys wearing chetnik hats and uniforms during concerts, soccer games or some other "cultural" events.

The point I am trying to make is that there is still a big number of people who idolize chetnik's ideology. In Croatia there is a big contrast. Even Thompson was not sued for all the lyrics he sang out during concerts he had all around the World.

I am sorry that people who really want democracy in Serbia are overshadowed by the other side who has not done anything positive up to this point. They should have been in historic books and not in political life of Serbia.

Maybe we should stop right here with this discussion because I don't wanna ruin the thread. We could go on and on when in the end the Int'l Tribune will probably make a final standing what happened. I guess the majority of story has already been confirmed by the court.

Pozdrav susjed/kom

Lots of Balkans pride in the thread.

I always had the impression that the west (western Europe) doesnt want a strong country in the Balkans.

And Macedonia is Bulgarian
    [color=white]joking :)[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The staffing agency pays them a salary, but also bills them for services rendered. Creating a situation where they pay minimum wage in a legal sense but operate far below the cost level of the domestic workforce. It's a loophole. The Poles don't get jobs because they work harder, they get jobs because they cost less than minimum wage and can easily be exploited.
    Same situation with bulgarians as well. But thats what happen when uninformed and uneducated people are forced(out of misery) to emigrate. These so called agency take full advantage of such people.
    As for UK, bulgarians currently can work as self employed, but there are agencies that offer house cleaning service and have contacts of bulgarian maids that work for them. They get an order>send "self empoyed"maid to clean the house> get paid> pay pennies to the worker that did the actual work.
    At your earlier remark in the thread about my knowledge of the EU, you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    When those positive things happen then in some near future maybe we can build Europe together and not just the Balkans!
    Dont mean to be rude but wtf does that mean? [PHP][/PHP]

You are not rude.

To build = in a way to co operate and make countries in the region better (economically and socially). Just like countries in the EU wanna build better Europe.

I am not gonna comment on Serbian propaganda anymore. My dad fought Chetnik's who did a massacre in the nearby towns. My dad also got shot in a leg by chetnik's.