Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Watching Chris Mullin, Abdul-Rauf, and even Reggie shoot annoys me.

Because I will never get to see them in this league that would let them take full advantage of it. I always loved Mullin and was interested by Chris Jackson and anyone who has been here a while knows I think Reggie was overrated.....but it isn’t an issue of my fanhood(or lack of it).

I’ve made videos on all of them:

https://youtu.be/XL0LRvQdc2o

https://youtu.be/GXFF-TXxoSw

https://youtu.be/Z7H1zFVxaVw

Though with Mullins I kinda failed my usual mission of showing how a person played and not a string of highlights.

When you look at these guys numbers in their primes and compare them to people now you really have no idea how good they were shooting the ball.

They simply did not shoot enough to offset the number of bad threes one is forced into from time to time. Especially Mullin and Jackson. Reggie too but to a lesser degree.

In his highest scoring season Reggie attempted 362 threes. That would not place him in the top 20 in attempts currently in this incomplete season. James Harden is over 600 with a month and change to go. Peak scoring Reggie 362 full season.

Mullin in his peak scoring season? 27ppg....only 100 threes attempted. He shot 23%. 23/100 in a 27ppg season by one of the best shooters ever.

Chris Jackson’s best season? 197 attempts. Shot 35%.

All of them shot more as they got older and became role players who were spotting up more than straight up taking it to you. Plus they shot more/better with the line moved in but I’m talking when they were scorers in their primes.

They can still shoot now. There’s a video on Rauf making 102-104 at like 43 years old. Here is Chris Mullin beating Durant in a shooting contest 6 months ago:

https://youtu.be/AyiYuBCLTjc

Not to say he’d be a better shooter in a game at his age of course....just that he’s still got it.

But to a man everyone in those days played in offenses that did not look to generate many open looks outside. A greater percentage of the attempts were of the wild no choice variety or off the dribble. Even the teams that were considered insane for shooting so many threes didn’t take many. Steph Curry a couple years ago I believe took more threes then the 120 point per game nuggets who blew away all the records in the early 90s. If he didn’t he came damn close.

And for the record I’m going to go on and exempt Steph from this conversation because he is something of an alien. He may not be from another planet but he could be an earthling from another dimension or something. He’s the GOAT outside and my case is in no way meant to suggest otherwise.

But....

A lot of guys from back the dropped into today’s NBA would get a lot more respect in the all-time great shooter discussions.

These guys were routinely coming off screens and taking shots with a foot on the line. Pump faking and stepping in and not....over for another 3. You can say it was an inefficient use of their talents but think about it for moment.

It was 1986 before the NCAA had the 3 point line in every conference. This is Reggie at UCLA:

https://youtu.be/QbU0pL7cVYo

Anything seem strange?

Notice the announcer talking about how once Reggie has what he calls the 23 foot line in the NBA he’s going to be a problem.

Now if you watch a lot of Mullin college highlights you might see a line:

https://youtu.be/RTKjt-5NIs4

Because St John’s played in MSG on the Knicks floor. And you can see him making 3s for 2 points in there.

There are videos of him playing with a three point line because he’s in the Nuggets arena.

Guys did not grow up with a three point line and unless you lived in an ABA City the players you watched in the pros didn’t shoot them either.

They didn’t come up peeking at the floor to make sure they were behind the line. Chris Mullin catches the ball open and he shoots it.

You would like to think that common sense would weigh in and people would not question their ability to shoot. Especially when Reggie is like a 90% free-throw shooter for his career and both Mullin and Chris Jackson shot like 94% from the free-throw line some years.....but no.

I’m still annoyed that someone I can’t remember on here was talking about how Chris Jackson wasn’t that good a shooter and giving me his outside shooting numbers to justify it as if he wasn’t taking two threes a game neither of them intended by the offense.....

It’s one of several issues with the basketball I came up watching that younger fans just have a hard time accepting.

Make Chris Mullin the starting three on the Rockets he would be taking 9 3s a game and leave no doubt of his greatness. Their defense would be worse but he will be so perfect for an offense like that. Such an amazing passer and a quick decision maker. A Paul Harden Mullin lineup? It would be a buffet. And Capela would get even more lobs than he does now. Mullin was maybe the best lob passer in the game for a while. At least for a forward....I forgot about Payton for a moment.

If I could bring a few of these old guys and drop them on fitting teams I could die happy. At least mostly happy. For full happiness I’d also have to figure out a way to show young fans that the NBA game looked exactly like it does now if you watched it live in the 80s.

With the shitty old footage that distorts color it just looks and feels like shit but sitting in the arena Dominique coming down the floor looks just like Kevin Durant does now but it’s hard to imagine when all you have seen is the footage and you never saw them in person. I don’t mean on TV at the time. I mean sitting in the arena. You just know that pisses off people from the 60s and 70s. Something about being in black-and-white just makes you seem less impressive....

Anyway to wrap up my point....shooters. They were great then....you just can’t tell by the numbers. And it sucks...because in the end? All anyone is to the next generation is his numbers and a two minute highlight reel. Maybe 5...but they cut it off at 2.

We really have to figure out time travel. As I understand it if we could move someone at light speed without the inertia killing them time would no longer pass for them and they could be held in stasis as the universe aged around them and brought out to simulate moving them forward in time..... but we don’t even have a good theory for how to go backwards. And what sucks is if somebody figured it out in the Future you just know they would have come back already to tell us about it.

Once we get warp drive we will be able to freeze someone in time so the future can enjoy them but that doesn’t get me Chris Mullin on the Rockets. Plus I don’t know how many NBA players would be willing to be frozen in time just to prove they could still be great in the future.....

A couple may. The really massive ego ones. But that isn’t Mullin. He was just a hard-working alcoholic with a crazy jumper. Which leads me to wonder who would be most likely to submit to time travel just to prove themselves to the future? Probably LeBron right? Isn’t he just douche enough to issue a press release about having accomplished all he came here to and wanting to take his talents to the future so they get a chance to appreciate him as well?

If anybody would consider it that’s who it would be. Kinda....got off track there...
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #2
PeroAntic
2big2strong2fast2GOOD

Default Re: Watching Chris Mullin, Abdul-Rauf, and even Reggie shoot annoys me.

Agreed. the moment a time machine is invented the first thing we need to use it for is to put Chris Mullin on the Rockets.
PeroAntic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroAntic
Agreed. the moment a time machine is invented the first thing we need to use it for is to put Chris Mullin on the Rockets.

I would appreciate a world where trades didnít have to be limited by time. The Rockets do their current and early 80s teams a favor by trading Capella to the 82 Rockets for Moses Malone. They had decided to tank for Ralph Sampson anyway. Why not trade him so your future team could win a ring?

If you could figure out a way to do such things in a pocket dimension that wouldnít throw off all of human history Iím sure we would all agree to subscribe to that dimensions sports networks.

I would pay $200 a month for access to ESPN ABC and TNT right now in a dimension that allowed trading and free agency through time.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

What do you think about Phil Jackson's claim that Jackson/ Abdul Rauf was the original Curry? Was he trying to take a dig at the modern era or was he being legit?
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Both. He was the closest thing to that play style. There were no other off the dribble long range shooters like him at the time. But as I said long-range didnít necessarily mean behind the three-point line at the time. He will hit you with a through the legs pull-up jumper with a foot on the line and nobody would think anything of it.

He wasnít Steph but he was probably the first in the evolutionary branch that would lead to him. Maybe both sprouted from the World B Free line but I guess you can always take it back. Weíd end up with Jumpin Joe Fulks and Pitchin Paul if we wanted.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Well let me also acknowledge Tim Hardaway. He was mean off the dribble back then too but he wasn’t held back the way Jackson was. Given an equal greenlight I think Jackson would have looked more like curry than Hardaway did. Not that he was a better player than Hardaway...just more like Steph.

Mark Price also needs a mention but he didn’t play like any of them.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Overdrive
Decent college freshman

Mullin had the perfect text book shooting form and he's a lefty. He'd wreak havoc in this contemporary league. I just caught Mullin's tailend, but he still was impressive.

In some parallel universe I'm sure those Pacers are a dynasty.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Whatever I may think of Reggieís place in history I canít deny that a prim healthy Mullin/Reggie tandem would have been nasty. They would need Mckey in there for defensive reasons too....but Jackson, Reggie, and Mullin all young and healthy? Problems.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
eliteballer
NBA All-star

I mean if Kyle Korver can make an all-star team..
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
eliteballer
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
What do you think about Phil Jackson's claim that Jackson/ Abdul Rauf was the original Curry? Was he trying to take a dig at the modern era or was he being legit?

https://www.facebook.com/hoopmixtape...5515723006224/
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I maintain that he may be the best guard pump faker Iíve seen. At least till guys started using it as a weapon to jump into guys. Heís likely the best at pump faking to attempt a shot and not draw a foul.

If he or Bird or Jack Sikma wanted to go bitch mode like Harden or Wade a while back they would have been hard to stop. Pump fake looked too much like their shots.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #12
aau
Serious playground baller

cats would hit a stepback 40-foot off the dribble buzzer-beater we would grab our forehead and damn near pass out... now scrubs are backpedaling hanging eyebrow-threes... shooting isn't special to the game... it is the game

pinball-machine numbers in a layup-line league... shit is disrespectful

real quick tho...

you got me laffin because the reggie-thing be killing you blaze
and i may have just the thing to help you with that

supremely gifted, ray should have been 5x better, but he wasn't
there's only one thing that trumps talent... would it not be
fair to suggest that ray supremely underachieved

... reggie wasn't better than his sister
aau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
100grandman
High School Varsity 6th Man

KBlaze I remember you. From when I used to post on this site fairly actively about ten years ago. Then I took a long break. Nice to see you're still around.
100grandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
Smoke117
The King Returns...

Reggie would be the same player or worse. I say worse because you can't do that stupid little kick he used to do to get to the line anymore.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #15
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

Chris Mullin is the best long 2 point shooter ive ever seen (Bird was close too). Steph is definetly the best 3-point shooter but Mullin had he practiced more 3s would have easily been the goat shooter.
Round Mound is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: