Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
KayHaven
I usually hit open layups

Default Ray Allen confirms in New book what we all knew... KG was a nutcase and Rondo a punk.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news... edium=twitter

As Allen tells it, there were early signs that he and Garnett, who were both intense players and intense personalities, would eventually clash. Allen recalled dribbling in front of his locker during the Celtics’ preseason trip to Rome in 2007, which was something Allen had done to prepare for games his entire career. The dribbling annoyed Garnett, though, who told Allen, “No, you’re not going to do that.”

“You can’t tell me what to do,” Allen remembered responding, as teammates looked on. “You do what you do, and I do what I do.”

As Allen wrote, “Gee, can two grown men be any more juvenile?” And it was a similar experience when, before the start of the season, Garnett and Allen went out to dinner at a steakhouse in Boston*and spoke about their roots together as teenage players in the 1990s, and the pain of being on losing teams in the past. After dinner, Allen wrote, he asked the waitress for the check.

“No,” Garnett said, “I tip way better than him, so you better give me the check.” It was the first time they’d gone to dinner together, and Allen pointed out that*Garnett had no idea how much Allen tipped. “There was no point in arguing with the guy,” Allen writes. “What struck me was that he felt the need to be seen as being superior to me, even in something as petty as this.”

On Rondo:

At the opposite end of that spectrum is Rondo. Allen describes their early relationship as one of young player and mentor. “I couldn’t have gotten along with him any better,” Allen writes. “He was like a little brother to me.”

But the relationship unraveled after the Celtics’ 2008 championship. Even with the passage of time, Allen still seems at a loss to explain why, exactly, the dynamic between he and Rondo collapsed.

But by 2011, that relationship was in tatters. Allen recalled that in 2009, because the Celtics’ front office had issues with Rondo, there was talk that Allen and Rondo would be traded to Phoenix for a package built around Amar'e Stoudemire. Allen told Rondo at the time that he should talk to team president Danny Ainge to work out their problems and keep from being traded.

It came up again during*the 2010-11 season. In*a team meeting, Allen writes, Rondo told his teammates, “I carried all of you to the championship in 2008.”

Allen continued: “The rest of the team, almost in unison, responded, ‘You*what?’” Rondo said everyone on the team had problems with him, and when Allen told him, “None of us had issues with you,” Rondo said to him, “You did, too. You told me I was the reason we were going to be traded.”

Perhaps that’s where the problem started, then. In the book, Allen seems genuinely unsure of why Rondo turned on him so completely. Allen describes Rondo as a player who expected that he would*be treated as a leader without having done the work to deserve the role, and describes the Celtics as an organization that could not figure out how to handle Rondo. Coach Doc Rivers asked Garnett and Allen to*“let [Rondo] into the circle,” but Allen told Rivers, “We can’t make him a leader, Doc. He has to earn it.”

Allen details the famed incident during the Celtics’ playoff series against Miami in 2011, when Rivers was going over film with the team and pointing out some of the errors made during their losses in the first two games. Rondo*“put his head down and turned his chair toward the lockers.” Rivers implored him to watch the film.

“F—*that film,” Rondo said, according to Allen, hurling a water bottle at the screen and breaking it. Rivers ordered Rondo out. Garnett followed him and said, “Young fella, you need to get your s—*together.”
KayHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Wally450
AD >>> Embiid

Default Re: Ray Allen confirms in New book what we all knew... KG was a nutcase and Rondo a punk.

Interesting take. Will be sure to grab a copy when it comes out.
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Default Re: Ray Allen confirms in New book what we all knew... KG was a nutcase and Rondo a punk.

Ray Allen caught feelings cuz KG lowkey treated him to dinner

and this dude sitting there calling other guy petty

he telling on himself

Last edited by STATUTORY : 03-12-2018 at 11:14 AM.
STATUTORY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

Rondo was the baddest MF in the game around 2012 and 2013. If it wasnt for extreme collusion in the east, he probably would have led the Celtics to a finals
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
aj1987
MH!

Common knowledge that KG was always a massive douche and Rondo was locker room cancer.
aj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
PJR
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
“No,” Garnett said, “I tip way better than him, so you better give me the check.” It was the first time they’d gone to dinner together, and Allen pointed out that*Garnett had no idea how much Allen tipped. “There was no point in arguing with the guy,” Allen writes. “What struck me was that he felt the need to be seen as being superior to me, even in something as petty as this.”

This sounds like more of a jokey joke than anything. Ray might be being a little sensitive here
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
CelticBaller
You mad?

Allen is so Bitch to feel threatened by KG
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

If that's the worst story regarding either player I would be pleasantly surprised. They're great players with extreme personalities. Their quirks are absolutely worth putting up with if this is the worst.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Very, very interesting. You got more?
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
KayHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If that's the worst story regarding either player I would be pleasantly surprised. They're great players with extreme personalities. Their quirks are absolutely worth putting up with if this is the worst.

Ray does go on to say despite all of KG's faults...he would be th3 first person he'd pick as a teammate.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Trollsmasher
The Fam

no shit

https://streamable.com/rpn1u
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
KayHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Very, very interesting. You got more?

Some more in that link I posted...pretty sure the best will be in the book when it comes out
Old 03-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
“No,” Garnett said, “I tip way better than him, so you better give me the check.”

The fact that Ray is still butthurt enough over this comment this many years later to write about it in a book is telling.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
tpols
we already won

Garnett sounds like such a scumbag... ive known people like him irl
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #15
DCL
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Rondo told his teammates, “I carried all of you to the championship in 2008.”

normally, if a guy does that, the whole team would hate his ass. but they probably treated him like a kid and laughed it off. they probably thought it was more comical than insulting, like when your little younger brother says some stupid arrogant shit and you go, whatever kid, sit yo ass down.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: