Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Still getting paid after leaving former job

It's been 2 weeks since I left my old job and yet I'm still getting paid every week. I thought it was like some back pay from my former time sheets but I'm going to wait until next week to confirm this, that they are paying me for not working at all.

Has this happened to you? Did u keep the money?

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Default Re: Still getting paid after leaving former job

I'd let them know. Their accountants will figure it out eventually and ask for the money back. Call HR and figure it out.

This happened to me after I got laid off from a job. I figured the first week was just some severance pay, but when it came in the 2nd week, I went to my boss and asked her about it. She said if they were stupid enough to keep sending me checks to not say anything. I got two more after that and never heard a word about it. I got rehired a few months later when business picked up and nobody said a word about it. I'm just telling you what happened to me, don't assume your company'll be as nice about it as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    I'd let them know. Their accountants will figure it out eventually and ask for the money back. Call HR and figure it out.
    Yea but what legal status do they have to actually make him pay it back. I doubt they are going to sue him; might as well keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    This happened to me after I got laid off from a job. I figured the first week was just some severance pay, but when it came in the 2nd week, I went to my boss and asked her about it. She said if they were stupid enough to keep sending me checks to not say anything. I got two more after that and never heard a word about it. I got rehired a few months later when business picked up and nobody said a word about it. I'm just telling you what happened to me, don't assume your company'll be as nice about it as mine.
    You should have got a separate severance pay though, if you worked long enough for the job. That should be settled and clear when they laid you off.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Yea but what legal status do they have to actually make him pay it back. I doubt they are going to sue him; might as well keep it.
    like if a bank accidentally put $100,000 in your account, you can't keep it. If it's a mistake, I think they can likely take it back.

I got paid bi-weekly at my previous job and I got paid two full paid periods after I left (1 month total). At the job whatever PTO (paid time off) you saved up they'd pay out to you after you left or got fired. So if you had 80 hours vacation time like i did, they'd pay you for 40 hours on one of those paychecks and 40 for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    It's been 2 weeks since I left my old job and yet I'm still getting paid every week. I thought it was like some back pay from my former time sheets but I'm going to wait until next week to confirm this, that they are paying me for not working at all.

You left your job two weeks ago, but you are still gettin paid every week?

Some jobs get paid 2 weeks. So if you get a paycheck say Friday the 28th. The check is not from the 15th through the 28th but from the 1st through 14th.

Dunking on everybody in the park Unstoppabull's Avatar

IF a bank makes a mistake, chances are the'll want the money back eventually. So yea don't foolishly spend all the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppabull
    IF a bank makes a mistake, chances are the'll want the money back eventually. So yea don't foolishly spend all the extra money.
    The bank is not making the mistake, it is the accountant working for the company, so in this case, the company can either sue him for the money back (which they won't because the cost would be more cumbersome than what they paid him) or he can keep it and act like he owns it.

I get paid weekly. But after I finished, I think I had 1 working week that is yet to be paid, which I think I obtained 2 weeks ago. But last week and this week, I got paid again. I'm not sure if this is actually correct since I did accumulate some sick and annual leave, but it wasn't that much.

If I get paid again next week I'll give them a call.

a lot of lucky motherfckers in here

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    The bank is not making the mistake, it is the accountant working for the company, so in this case, the company can either sue him for the money back (which they won't because the cost would be more cumbersome than what they paid him) or he can keep it and act like he owns it.
    yeah because suing him is the only recourse.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

This never happens to me