Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX

Next to Yao...
    I have actually had the pleasure of standing right next to Hakeem on at least 3 occasions. He actually looks like he's about 6'9".

Allright fine, he seems like 6'10/6'9 but why is he listed at 7'0?

Next to Yao...
    Yao is standing behind Hakeem, and that distorts the comparison.

I have to agree that Hakeem was actually 6-10. Apart from him measuring as tall as Bill Russell in a TV appearance in the mid-90's, there was an old picture of him and Kareem being photographed together, and Kareem had about 4 inches on him (definately not only 2). I think I have this pic somewhere, if I find it, I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by exit
    to win when it matters most glorifies one's legacy. nobody praises charles barkley the same way one does to jordan/bird/magic cause charles did not win a ring. barkley is one of the greatest players of all time in my book. one of the greatest PF ever play the game. sadfully he could not beat jordan in the finals. he was great but jordan beat him. and that's how sir charles's legacy is written. same as drob, he was amazing in many games but hakeem kicked his ass when it mattered most. that just simply devalued drob's legacy.

though, charles was beaten and drob was owned...
    i would change glorifies to enhcances.

to win when it matters most glorifies one's legacy. nobody praises charles barkley the same way one does to jordan/bird/magic cause charles did not win a ring. barkley is one of the greatest players of all time in my book. one of the greatest PF ever play the game. sadfully he could not beat jordan in the finals. he was great but jordan beat him. and that's how sir charles's legacy is written. same as drob, he was amazing in many games but hakeem kicked his ass when it mattered most. that just simply devalued drob's legacy.

though, charles was beaten and drob was owned...
    i would change glorifies to enhances.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    4thctr---- thanks for doing some groundwork on the issue. i notice it is your first post and i hope it is not your last. the ish needs enlightenment often.

i dont disagree with you in that the playoff series between them was a major turning point. that is what make hakeem so awesome in that he peaked at a later age than most and did very much outplay d. rob and the rockets win was the frosting

in other places here at ish, i would take hakeem over any other center on the defensive end; i am still pondering the centers on offense

my reason for starting this thread was to engage discussion as to how much the perception from that series has taken away from d.rob's total career in many people's opinion. it might be true with some of the younger guys here who never saw them for the course of their careers

i really liked both of them for different reasons. they both gave me years of nba enjoyment

i dont think this is revisionist history as much as selective emphasis.

a war parallel would be looking at one battle, even a battle as a turning point in a war, as defining the whole war.

there are many other factors that go into how things really are

i am glad that your post gives insight into the "battle" of that specific playoff series as a turning point in comparing the two great centers
    No, thank you for the topic. Mix tapes and highlights aside, people tend to forget that the Spurs dominated the Rockets and that David was quite the monster. I remember thinking that Hakeem was the only 6'10 above PF or C with that type of speed, quickness, and ability. Then comes David, and I knew from the moment he matched up with Dream that we were in for a treat. David was a monster athlete just like Hakeem. Too bad the back went out.

But society likes the Cliff Notes of things. It's a hassle to point certain aspects when it's easier to say, "Who's got the ring, and who destroyed the other when it counted?" Maybe had David developed a post game, maybe had the Sonics went past the first round, things would have been different, but reality is reality, and Hakeem ended up on top. He clearly destroyed Ewing (read: Ewing shot under or almost under 40%) and neutralized or slightly outperformed a young Shaq that was thought to be unstoppable.

In the end, David will remembered for being soft, elbowed by Malone, spanked by Hakeem, carried by Duncan, but anyone who followed the game would take him any day in today's league. And yes, he outplayed Ewing in case anyone wants to make a point.

Also, Dream was 6'10 and half. I'll try to find the pic, but there's a pic of him staying next to Horry and he's just a fraction taller.

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    i would change glorifies to enhances.
    it glorifies one's legacy meaning it makes one's legacy bigger than it actually is. "enhances" isn't what i meant to say. :rollingeyes:

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Default .

In the end, David will remembered for being soft, elbowed by Malone, spanked by Hakeem, carried by Duncan, but anyone who followed the game would take him any day in today's league. And yes, he outplayed Ewing in case anyone wants to make a point.
    excellent point. i think those who have ACTUALLY watched the two play know how great they both were. robinsons label of soft is put on him because he really had no heart in the game. his LIFE wasnt basketball, it was family and faith.

i remember something robinson said during the 92 olympics...he said if he had jordans desire and passion to win he could have been one of the greatest, but basketball wasnt a top priority for him.

it glorifies one's legacy meaning it makes one's legacy bigger than it actually is. "enhances" isn't what i meant to say. :rollingeyes:
    a legacy cant be bigger than it actually is. can it? I meant "I" would say enhances as opposed to glorifies.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFourthCenter
    No, thank you for the topic. Mix tapes and highlights aside, people tend to forget that the Spurs dominated the Rockets and that David was quite the monster. I remember thinking that Hakeem was the only 6'10 above PF or C with that type of speed, quickness, and ability. Then comes David, and I knew from the moment he matched up with Dream that we were in for a treat. David was a monster athlete just like Hakeem. Too bad the back went out.

But society likes the Cliff Notes of things. It's a hassle to point certain aspects when it's easier to say, "Who's got the ring, and who destroyed the other when it counted?" Maybe had David developed a post game, maybe had the Sonics went past the first round, things would have been different, but reality is reality, and Hakeem ended up on top. He clearly destroyed Ewing (read: Ewing shot under or almost under 40%) and neutralized or slightly outperformed a young Shaq that was thought to be unstoppable.

the cliff notes version is what is available to those who did not watch nba back in the day and have to rely on snippets from youtube

i hope you post more often 4thctr!

Banned

Roy = my new fave.

Olajuwon won championships when Robinson was still playing his best ball. Robinson won championships when Tim Duncan came to town to create the best high-low post combination we've seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    a legacy cant be bigger than it actually is. can it? I meant "I" would say enhances as opposed to glorifies.
    it can.

Hakeem got screwed in terms of winning in the early part of his career, because Sampson got injured and several Rockets players flamed out due to drug problems. In his prime an argument can be made Hakeem was on the Magic/Bird/Jordan level. He was THAT good and dominant.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

In the late 80's and then into the 90's, that one series changed so much, for better or worse. Hakeen didn't actually have a great reputation or legacy going for him, for a number of years. It all changed when he had one of the best few years in the history of the modern game. David Robinson was huge throughout his career. So it depends on how you look at it. I guess I am saying, only since those few years was Hakeen ever considered near the top of the greatest of all time list for C's and all players. I don't know who I think is the better NBA player, b/c you have to look at a heck of a lot more then one finals series.

In reality, most C's of these two guys calibar can score at will one on one. Even marginal players in the NBA demand double teams. So, some of it depends on the team strategy of SA during that series. MJ could kill any one player who guarded him. That doesn't make the defender a bad player. Tim Duncan can get schooled by KG on one play...and TD can score at will on KG on the other. These guys are that good. You have to double. Then it comes down to teammates. I guess all I am saying is that nobody would have stopped either of these guys one on one when they are on. Hakeem was on during that series. Both had great careers.
    Last edited by RapsFan; 09-18-2006 at 03:18 PM.