Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
ROCSteady
One of One

Default Rooting hard for Baker Mayfield but...

Intangibles and leadership don't get you far if you can't ball out.

The NFL may be a wakeup call for him, especially initially. The closer the Draft comes, the more doubt I have about my guy being a top 15 QB in the league.

His arm strength isn't ideal- saw of his workout throws I saw got there but lacked the zip you'd want. Mayfield is a guy who will take chances because he's way competitive.

He tries some of those throws to the outside, they're going for 6 the other way unless perfectly placed.

Basically, he's going to need to learn some real discipline in his new offense and stick to the script for awhile.

I admire dude more than I ever thought I could in terms of being a 22 year old NFL prospect but I'm sensing it will be a tough transition, at least initially.

He needs to go to a team where he can wait for the starting role. It could make all the difference in him being a success or a journeyman after thought.

I'm rooting for him though because he's a ****ing badass. I think he could be a Dak type though if he centers his emotions and doesn't force things.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Rooting hard for Baker Mayfield but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Intangibles and leadership don't get you far if you can't ball out.

The NFL may be a wakeup call for him, especially initially. The closer the Draft comes, the more doubt I have about my guy being a top 15 QB in the league.

His arm strength isn't ideal- saw of his workout throws I saw got there but lacked the zip you'd want. Mayfield is a guy who will take chances because he's way competitive.

He tries some of those throws to the outside, they're going for 6 the other way unless perfectly placed.

Basically, he's going to need to learn some real discipline in his new offense and stick to the script for awhile.

I admire dude more than I ever thought I could in terms of being a 22 year old NFL prospect but I'm sensing it will be a tough transition, at least initially.

He needs to go to a team where he can wait for the starting role. It could make all the difference in him being a success or a journeyman after thought.

I'm rooting for him though because he's a ****ing badass. I think he could be a Dak type though if he centers his emotions and doesn't force things.

he can ball out. He balled out in college. Got OU to the playoffs and put up over 40 points in that game. Beat OSU at the shoe. Balled out to earn his starting role at Texas Tech and at OU.

His accuracy is off the charts. His arm strength is no 2. in this draft class behind josh allen.

Too many baker haters out there. Dude is easily the best QB in the draft RIGHT NOW. Does he have the highest ceiling? No, but drafting on "what ifs" is riskier than drafting on what the guy has actually shown.

In the history of NFL QB drafting, only two stats for QB prospects actually translate: Completion percentage and percentage of games won.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

I know virtually nothing about the QB prospects this year, but my favorite NFL podcast says he has bust written all over him
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
he can ball out. He balled out in college. Got OU to the playoffs and put up over 40 points in that game. Beat OSU at the shoe. Balled out to earn his starting role at Texas Tech and at OU.

His accuracy is off the charts. His arm strength is no 2. in this draft class behind josh allen.

Too many baker haters out there. Dude is easily the best QB in the draft RIGHT NOW. Does he have the highest ceiling? No, but drafting on "what ifs" is riskier than drafting on what the guy has actually shown.

In the history of NFL QB drafting, only two stats for QB prospects actually translate: Completion percentage and percentage of games won.

I hope so man. He seems accurate but his passes seem to lack zip. I dunno how you measure arm strength outside of throwing deep, never heard of them clocking or using sensors on passes pre draft.

Rosen's passes seem to have more behind them but Mayfield is good at getting some touch and making receivers life easier
Old 04-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Arm strength isn't in issue for Mayfield AT ALL. I'm not sure where you get that.

Mayfield's biggest issue is that he's 6'1 and not 6'3

So because of that you see lots of Russell Wilson and Brees comparisons whichis annoying AF because he'snot like either one of those two.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
I hope so man. He seems accurate but his passes seem to lack zip. I dunno how you measure arm strength outside of throwing deep, never heard of them clocking or using sensors on passes pre draft.

Rosen's passes seem to have more behind them but Mayfield is good at getting some touch and making receivers life easier

they clock at the combine
Old 04-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

You're out of touch with the current NFL if you have any concerns over Bakers arm strength.

It's not a seven step drop bang the 15 yard dig league anymore. It's get the ball out quick and take deep shots when they present themselves.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
ROCSteady
One of One

I'm not the only person who thinks that. I've heard "analysts" have said the same thing.

That's not to say his arm strength is bad, merely average. Seems like a QB to take risks due to competitive spirit. Hope he can drive the ball properly with NFL DBs closing in outside the numbers.

I love this guy, I'll be rooting for him hard unless he goes to NFCe or BAL.

And although all teams run variations of the WC, it really depends on a number of factors whether or not a QB makes specific mistakes within the offense

Maybe the eye test was simply off on some of the plays I saw. He def is a great touch passer and accurate

Last edited by ROCSteady : 04-14-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

he's going to the JETS... right?

He's going to be the top QB in the AFC EAST post Brady-Era.

Bills and Dolphins need to trade up and get QBs.

Don't think either of them want Lamar Jackson, but damn.... it sure would be funny if Lamar Jackson ends up being a supreme elite QB, and the other four QBs bust or have average careers.

Lamar Jackson at NFL Combine: 'I'm here to be a quarterback'

That's a really black QB.

rooting for Mayfield and Jackson.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
Duderonomy
Perrrfect

I wouldn't take him over Rosen or yours truly.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
he's going to the JETS... right?

He's going to be the top QB in the AFC EAST post Brady-Era.

Bills and Dolphins need to trade up and get QBs.

Don't think either of them want Lamar Jackson, but damn.... it sure would be funny if Lamar Jackson ends up being a supreme elite QB, and the other four QBs bust or have average careers.

Lamar Jackson at NFL Combine: 'I'm here to be a quarterback'

That's a really black QB.

rooting for Mayfield and Jackson.

The fact that Lamar Jackson doesn't have an agent is a big time red flag and it's hurting him.

He who represents himself has a fool for a client.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
ROCSteady
One of One

I was thinking . . .

The Browns would be a good team for Mayfield to go to.

They should take Baker at #4 . . . screw the whole points thing and value.

Draft Barkley #1, Mayfield # 4. Give Tyrod Taylor the year to start, Baker can come in if injury.

Basically use most of the remaining picks on rebuilding the OL.

Next year's starting offense would be a rebuilt OL with:

Mayfield
Barkley
Gordon
Landry
Coleman

That's pretty nasty assuming Mayfield can get comfortable in Jackson's system. Not sure who their TEs are but that's some nice personnel to work with.

Those receivers would be great for Mayfield's game and development. Nice combo of quick slant WC but also the ability to stretch the field.

Crazy to say, but I think CLE would be a great spot for him
Old 04-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
I was thinking . . .

The Browns would be a good team for Mayfield to go to.

They should take Baker at #4 . . . screw the whole points thing and value.

Draft Barkley #1, Mayfield # 4. Give Tyrod Taylor the year to start, Baker can come in if injury.

Basically use most of the remaining picks on rebuilding the OL.

Next year's starting offense would be a rebuilt OL with:

Mayfield
Barkley
Gordon
Landry
Coleman

That's pretty nasty assuming Mayfield can get comfortable in Jackson's system. Not sure who their TEs are but that's some nice personnel to work with.

Those receivers would be great for Mayfield's game and development. Nice combo of quick slant WC but also the ability to stretch the field.

Crazy to say, but I think CLE would be a great spot for him
Weapons aren't really a problem for this team at the moment. Tyrod Taylor and then Baker Mayfield -- whenever he is ready -- is going to have a pretty damn talented group of guys around him. With Joe Thomas retiring, my main questions really center around the line more than anything else, offensively speaking.

RB: Carlos Hyde
RB: Bradley Chubb
RB: Duke Johnson (extremely versatile and can lineup anywhere on the field)

WR: Josh Gordon
WR: Jarvis Landry
WR: Corey Coleman

TE: David Njoku
TE: Seth Devalve

I think Njoku might be primed for a pretty big season. He showed flashes as a rookie last year and he has all the talent in the world. With much steadier QB play and a year of the playbook under his belt, he is the sleeper on this offense.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #14
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
The fact that Lamar Jackson doesn't have an agent is a big time red flag and it's hurting him.

He who represents himself has a fool for a client.

This I don't totally understand as a criticism. Aren't rookie contracts essentially dictated by your draft pick due to the rookie scale? Why have an agent and give them a 10% cut when they aren't even there to negotiate much?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
This I don't totally understand as a criticism. Aren't rookie contracts essentially dictated by your draft pick due to the rookie scale? Why have an agent and give them a 10% cut when they aren't even there to negotiate much?

they are on scales but they aren't fixed, i think there is a max and min, plus there is when the payouts actually happen.

But getting an agent prior to the draft is crucial for setting up visits, dispelling bad rumors true or false, inflating your draft stock, "selling" you to teams, etc.

It strikes me as completely idiotic to have 0 experience of handling multi million dollar contracts + the draft process and think to yourself, "Yeah, me and my mom can do this by ourselves".
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: