Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #106
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!
 
Quizno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 4,113
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

really, really disappointing trade

Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #107
RoseCity07
NBA Legend
 
RoseCity07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 17,688
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
If Emeka wanted out, then he shouldn't have just signed his big contract not too long ago. What he wanted was a max deal, but he wasn't going to get it, and instead of leaving, he signed with the cats. I doubt he forced their hand at all. The team is being shopped, and this deal helps cut down the salary by ridding the team of his long term deal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wallace shopped as well.

So you think if the Blazers offered up Jerryd Bayless, and Outlaw, they could get Gerald Wallace in return?
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #108
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 22,312
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
For saving money, period. Why lock up long term cash to hold a team together that's going nowhere near contention? Fans don't want an OK team that's borderline 8 seed, they want contention. This is why we're seeing so many of the mediocre teams hold down the fort until their existing contracts expire (or they can move them for lesser deals like this). Players don't give a damn about where they play, they give a damn about who can pay them. Charlotte made themselves somewhat of a player in 2 years, much moreso than they'd have been before.

I don't see the logic in keeping Okafor for an additional 2 years compared to Chandler and having nothing but basically the MLE to lure players that can help you reach the next level. As you said, it's Charlotte, players aren't going to take a paycut to play there, they're going to play there because they can get paid.

This. The Cats will save about 40 mil with this deal. Look, here's what you'll get with Mek: A smart, classy guy who's unfortunately a center in a power forward's body. He has no real post moves and probably the worst hands of any big man in the game. He can rebound and he can block shots, but when up against all-star big men he gets toasted. After a great rookie season his game has ceased to progress in the last 5 years. Compare to Dwight Howard from the same draft. People saying he's gonna put up 19/10 are dreaming. He's not the offensive powerhouse just waiting for CP3 to unlock his potential. He is what he is.

Is Chandler any better? No. Will it hurt the Cats next season? Possibly, but I don't think so. LB has been saying since he got here that we need to get bigger if we want to compete in the East. The J-rich trade made no sense to me last year and turned out to be one of the best deals we've ever made. I think it was LB not MJ pulling the strings here and I'm inclined to trust he knows what he's doing.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #109
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist
 
2LeTTeRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: www.twitter.com/EsquireSports
Posts: 6,530
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

I'm no longer a Bobcat fan.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #110
CarolinaBlue704
Saw a basketball once
 
CarolinaBlue704's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 46
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
This. The Cats will save about 40 mil with this deal. Look, here's what you'll get with Mek: A smart, classy guy who's unfortunately a center in a power forward's body. He has no real post moves and probably the worst hands of any big man in the game. He can rebound and he can block shots, but when up against all-star big men he gets toasted. After a great rookie season his game has ceased to progress in the last 5 years. Compare to Dwight Howard from the same draft. People saying he's gonna put up 19/10 are dreaming. He's not the offensive powerhouse just waiting for CP3 to unlock his potential. He is what he is.

Is Chandler any better? No. Will it hurt the Cats next season? Possibly, but I don't think so. LB has been saying since he got here that we need to get bigger if we want to compete in the East. The J-rich trade made no sense to me last year and turned out to be one of the best deals we've ever made. I think it was LB not MJ pulling the strings here and I'm inclined to trust he knows what he's doing.

most fans outside of charlotte dont realize what you said about okafur.i dont think this traded will help either team very much.okafur is a undersized center who struggles against legit centers.if chandler stays healthy,this trade is a wash in my opinion.
CarolinaBlue704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #111
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,692
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
What exactly is the point of this trade for the Bobcats? They get more salary and the worse player.
shorter contract? I am shocked they gave up on okafur. I like chandler, but damn.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #112
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,692
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukekarts
They're turning into the biggest joke of the NBA.

At least the Grizzlies try to get talent in return.


I wouldn't even have minded if we (Miami) sent Beasley in return, but Chandler?
?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #113
CarolinaBlue704
Saw a basketball once
 
CarolinaBlue704's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 46
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukekarts
They're turning into the biggest joke of the NBA.

At least the Grizzlies try to get talent in return.

I wouldn't even have minded if we (Miami) sent Beasley in return, but Chandler?

you might wanna take a hammer and hit yourself in the head.
CarolinaBlue704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #114
knickballer
Very good NBA starter
 
knickballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2010 offseason
Posts: 8,269
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Bobcats got that real center they wanted. Okafor wasn't a real center. Chandler plays defense which Brown wants he is also a monster at shot blocking and rebounding. Problem with Okafor was that he was to slow to play PF and too small to play Center. Diaw/Chandler should make a good front court.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #115
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 22,312
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
I asked my wife what percentage of my rants during Bobcats games were due to some stupid thing Okafor did, and she had to agree it was a large part of the pie. Haven't you seen the guy play? Haven't you seen every big man in the league block his feeble attempts at lay-ups? Haven't you seen him pout like a spoiled teenager when he commits a dumb foul? I mean, I got tired of yelling "DUNK THE EFFING BALL" every time he was near the rim

This was a comment from the Charlotte Observer page. I must say I've felt that way most of the last 5 years.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #116
bagelred
Stare
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,094
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

I don't know what to make of this trade.

Let's just call it Even Steven and be done with it.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #117
Interminator
Banned
 
Interminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,421
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Bobcats got that real center they wanted. Okafor wasn't a real center. Chandler plays defense which Brown wants he is also a monster at shot blocking and rebounding. Problem with Okafor was that he was to slow to play PF and too small to play Center. Diaw/Chandler should make a good front court.
This.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #118
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor
 
Bigsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 17,811
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Bobcats got that real center they wanted. Okafor wasn't a real center. Chandler plays defense which Brown wants he is also a monster at shot blocking and rebounding. Problem with Okafor was that he was to slow to play PF and too small to play Center. Diaw/Chandler should make a good front court.

Okafor is even a better shotblocker and rebonder.

too short? he's 6'10.. u want him to be Gheorghe Muresan?
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #119
twolvesfan
Banned
 
twolvesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,436
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUU. great now the bobcats get a lot worse and ruin any chance of making the play offs we have charlottes first but it is lotto protected
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #120
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,692
Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
This was a comment from the Charlotte Observer page. I must say I've felt that way most of the last 5 years.
just wait to see how disappointed you will be in chandler then.


for the poster who said chandler is a better rebounder/shotblocker, SAY WHAT?

Stats dont show that, game footage dont show that, nothing in reality supports that argument. I do agree that chandler may be a better man-on defender.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agency

NBA Summer Leagues

Utah Summer League

Sacramento Summer League

Vegas NBA Summer League

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy