Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Default Re: John Wall, the next Derrick Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I see Wall as the type to try to force a bad pass rather than make a 'hockey assist.'

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and wait and see also.
    That's a really good point about Derrick Rose. I don't know if he'll ever have Deron/CP3-like assist numbers, but he makes the right play. That's what's kind of interesting about him: for such an unbelievable athlete, he isn't what you'd call a particularly flashy player. That isn't good or bad by itself, it just is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    Next Dwayne Wade.

From what I see he blocks, shoots, and dunks just like Dwayne Dwade. He's a dead on copy.
    Agreed.

He just needs to hit the weight room.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Agreed.

He just needs to hit the weight room.
    Wow i just watched John Wall Youtube for the first time in my life and all I have to say is he is better than Rose alot better.

Wall might be the fastest person I have seen dribble a basketball since a Young Allen Iverson

He is what 6'4 with a huge wingspan sick vertical all he needs to do his hit the weight room for some upper body strength. He plays exactly like a Wade w/o upper body strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FKSqSJ7-7k

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED
    Wow i just watched John Wall Youtube for the first time in my life and all I have to say is he is better than Rose alot better.

Wall might be the fastest person I have seen dribble a basketball since a Young Allen Iverson

He is what 6'4 with a huge wingspan sick vertical all he needs to do his hit the weight room for some upper body strength. He plays exactly like a Wade w/o upper body strength.

To be honest he still has a long way to go to be in D. Rose's company.

He led Simeon to TWO state titles in IL....*Chicago Public League being one of the toughest sectionals in the country*

If John Wall emerges as the best PG prospect by the end of the college season and makes some noise in the tourney he'll be on his way.

But I don't think Wall is a PG.

Local High School Star BrentISballin's Avatar

I've played against wall recently, never played against rose, but i'll give an opinion based on what i saw.

Granted the defense Wall was facing during the pick up game i was playin with him was a below nothing compared to nba D, wall's speed and court vision is out of this world. In the pick up game, a college lacross player ( the known fastest guy on the court)decided to D him up, wall got past him, slammed on him, finished on him with ease. So ridiculous. I also think that Wall's shot is a bit more reliable than Rose, also Wall comes out with a much more aggressive approach than Rose's laid back , attack mode 50% of the time approach.Wall's athleticism is obviously among the best. I've seen plenty of in game dunker's but his ability to explode and glide through the air is amazing, and he does it like second nature.I'd like to compare him more to rondo, with a better shot. Wall just has a stronger personality that translates better on the court than rose does IMO.

This report from me is probably worthless as i'm not a great writer, but it's real life experience with him ya?

I honestly think that comparing him right now , still fresh out of highschool is a bit ridiculous.
    Last edited by BrentISballin; 06-21-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Decent playground baller BeebCats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED

How can you say someone is better based on some youtube videos... they only show the good things, and let's remember it's against high school competition. We have a lot more to see from both Rose and Wall, there's no telling which will be better at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BeebCats
    How can you say someone is better based on some youtube videos... they only show the good things, and let's remember it's against high school competition. We have a lot more to see from both Rose and Wall, there's no telling which will be better at this point.
    Welcome to ISH. Most of the people here just watch a couple YouTube videos and suddenly they think they're experts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed
    Welcome to ISH. Most of the people here just watch a couple YouTube videos and suddenly they think they're experts.
    This.

Some ***** compared Wall to Foye?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentISballin
    This report from me is probably worthless as i'm not a great writer, but it's real life experience with him ya?
    The writing was fine, the report is worthless because it was a pickup basketball game against a lacross player.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    This.

Some ***** compared Wall to Foye?
    Some ***** said he shoots much more than Rose does and hes a more willing passer than Rose. Which makes no sense at all. Also Rose also makes the hard play efficient. Think LeBron makes the easy play when he windmills over a guy? the textbook answer is NO! Think Shawn Marion's shot is a good shot? textbook wise once again NO. but it goes in! As long as it's efficient it really doesn't matter. and since his "flashy" penetration works ....

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Wall isnt exactly a 2, he shoots much more than Rose does and hes a more willing passer than Rose.

Wall's problem comes from Heat Checking during games, when his shot is off he will attempt to get it back on at the displeasure of his teammates.
    How is it possible for Wall to shoot much more than Rose and also be a more willing passer at the same time?

National High School Star

Wall's entire demeanor towards the game of basketball is just better then Rose's.. Wall has that MJ intensity/fire.. he's g0nna be HUGE in the NBA if he stays healthy and keeps his mind on basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Wall's entire demeanor towards the game of basketball is just better then Rose's.. Wall has that MJ intensity/fire.. he's g0nna be HUGE in the NBA if he stays healthy and keeps his mind on basketball.
    Why do people assume that because Derrick Rose doesn't want to yell and scream and make funny faces that he doesn't have as good of a demeanor as he could?

Not doing those things doesn't preclude him from being a vicious competitor. He is. A lot of guys who show it outwardly are displaying false hustle. A lot of guys who keep an even keel are, in fact, just really smart players who also want to rip your heart out and show it to you.

Rose won two state titles in high school, he was the best player on a team that was 10 seconds from an NCAA title as a freshman, and he was rookie of the year and the best player on No. 7 seed that nearly took down the 62-win defending champs (granted, minus KG).

Don't talk to me about things like "intensity/fire." Talk to me about the two of them as basketball players. Tell me what skills John Wall has that will make him as good or better than Derrick Rose, whose career path already suggests that it's reasonable to consider him a future HOFer.

Rose is the proven commodity. Wall is the prospect. Granted, a damn good one. But if you're going to tell me that he's going to be as good as Derrick Rose, or better, I need to hear a much better case than anyone's given me so far in this thread.

(And yes, I'm a Bulls fan. But he also spurned Illinois, so I'm bias-neutral on this one.)

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Don't talk to me about things like "intensity/fire." Talk to me about the two of them as basketball players. Tell me what skills John Wall has that will make him as good or better than Derrick Rose, whose career path already suggests that it's reasonable to consider him a future HOFer.

.)
    Wall has much better handles.. its not even close. And he's so fast he makes Derrick Rose look like Mike Bibby.

I love Derrick Rose too.. I think he's fantastic, but his demeanor reminds me of Tmac, while Wall's reminds me of Kobe. And if you know anything about professional sports and demeanors, you know what Im talking about...

I could be wrong, but based on what we know right now, Im right.

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    Wall has much better handles.. its not even close. And he's so fast he makes Derrick Rose look like Mike Bibby.

I love Derrick Rose too.. I think he's fantastic, but his demeanor reminds me of Tmac, while Wall's reminds me of Kobe. And if you know anything about professional sports and demeanors, you know what Im talking about...

I could be wrong, but based on what we know right now, Im right.
    I could argue that what separated Kobe from T-Mac had nothing to do with demeanor and everything to do with health and better luck in who they got to play with. Even with that demeanor, McGrady was every bit the player Kobe was through about 2005. What's separated them is McGrady's injuries and Kobe's better teammates. (And I'm not a Kobe hater at all. I think he's the third-best guard of all-time now.)

I would also say that it isn't Kobe or MJ's "demeanor" that made them what they are. It was the insane work ethic and competitiveness, things that aren't necessarily manifested outwardly through facial expressions during games or any silliness like that. And Rose's work ethic can't be questioned, while I have heard those questions about Wall. No idea if they're true or not.

Do you have any idea how asinine it is to say you're right about a total guess that can't be proven right or wrong for several years? By the time John Wall plays his rookie season, Rose will be in his third year and likely be right up there with CP3 and Deron as the best point guards in the game. That's much less of a guess because we've already seen him play in the NBA and he already isn't that far off.

I disagree that Wall has "much better handles." I'd agree that he's unnecessarily flashier, though. And I agree that he's a little faster, but Rose has superb speed combined with unbelievable strength. Wall doesn't have that and I don't think he will.

You can't knock him off his path of where he wants to go. Not even top-flight NBA defenders can do it. He gets one step on you and he's so strong, like Deron, that you're just not keeping him from getting where he's going. Unlike Deron, he also has phemonenal speed.

Only five draft picks this decade have had a faster sprint time than Rose's 3.05 at the NBA combine/predraft camp. So we'll see if Wall really is faster than Rose. I wouldn't be 100% sure of it. Then again, considering that D-Will ran a 3.25 and Paul ran a 3.22, and in the same year fellow Top 5 pick Raymond Felton ran a 3.06....maybe there's more reasons you should give me besides speed for why Wall will be better.

So, again, I have no trouble in conceding that it's possible Wall will be better than Rose. Certainly possible. But if I'm going to accept this before he's played a game of college I'm going to need a way better argument than I have so far.